Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Schedule Change 6 August  (Read 8054 times)

SwohS Emag

GSN Schedule Change 6 August
« on: July 31, 2007, 08:21:35 AM »
According to GSN's Schedule page, starting Monday 6 August, the hour of Millionaire at 12 ET is gone, and is replaced by Super Password (making it a back-to-back hour), and Combs Feud!

It always makes me happy to see a little diversity (even just a little) on the sked.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:32:22 AM »
Speaking selfishly, that doesn't make me too upset.  Our ABC O&O here in Flint-Sag-BC airs the first-run syndicated version at 12:30, so we will still have Millionaire at lunch time.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
Hmmm. Wonder if they'll resume with the Bullsyeye episodes.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 11:27:33 AM »
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159177\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 05:21 AM\']
It always makes me happy to see a little diversity (even just a little) on the sked.
[/quote]
Explain to me, please, how replacing Millionaire with a show that is already on the schedule (and rerun six-thousand times) displays "diversity".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 11:28:01 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SwohS Emag

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:44:28 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'159187\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 11:27 AM\']
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159177\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 05:21 AM\']
[/quote]
Explain to me, please, how replacing Millionaire with a show that is already on the schedule (and rerun six-thousand times) displays "diversity".
[/quote]

Diversity means greater variety.  Though SP is already on the schedule, adding a second airing of a show that ran 6 years in 5-a-week daytime is greater in diversity than a show that aired ~350 hour long episodes in primetime.  As it is Millionaire already runs multiple times at night, not to mention that its first-runs were over a decade more recent than SP's first-runs.

Equally, Combs Feud is not on the schedule at all, so replacing a show that can be found on the schedule at different spots is very obvious diversification.

Placing all your money into one mutual fund (Goodson-Todman, for example) may be good, but the more diverse that mutual fund is (the broader # of programs broadcast from the G-T library), the more secure your money is.

So I ask you, sir:  Explain to me, please, how the definition of "a little diversity" is not inherent in my original post.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159190\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 11:44 AM\']Diversity means greater variety.  [/quote]
See, Chris, that was your problem.  You didn't know what 'diversity' meant!

OK, technically speaking, the fact that Combs Feud wasn't on the schedule and now is on the schedule does amount to "a little diversity".  However...
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159190\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 11:44 AM\']
Though SP is already on the schedule, adding a second airing of a show that ran 6 years in 5-a-week daytime is greater in diversity than a show that aired ~350 hour long episodes in primetime.  As it is Millionaire already runs multiple times at night, not to mention that its first-runs were over a decade more recent than SP's first-runs.[/quote]
Nope, the number of episodes really doesn't matter.  Replacing one show that's already on the schedule with another show that's already on the schedule does not constitute 'diversity'.  Please select another word.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »
Diversity means greater variety. Though SP is already on the schedule, adding a second airing of a show that ran 6 years in 5-a-week daytime is greater in diversity than a show that aired ~350 hour long episodes in primetime. As it is Millionaire already runs multiple times at night, not to mention that its first-runs were over a decade more recent than SP's first-runs.

I'd rather see something like The Joker's Wild back on the schedule than a second episode of Super Password, but that's just me :)

/Well, that would make it a little more diverse, wouldn't it?!!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 01:08:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'159198\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 10:05 AM\']
I'd rather see something like The Joker's Wild back on the schedule than a second episode of Super Password, but that's just me :)

/Well, that would make it a little more diverse, wouldn't it?!!
[/quote]
My point precisely, sir.

dzinkin

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159192\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 11:58 AM\']
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159190\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 11:44 AM\']Diversity means greater variety.  [/quote]
[/quote]
Of course he doesn't.  Only game show guy knows what "diversity" and "variety" mean!

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'159200\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 01:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159192\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 11:58 AM\']
[/quote]
Of course he doesn't.  Only game show guy knows what "diversity" and "variety" mean!
[/quote]
Well, that's ironic.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SwohS Emag

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:18:36 PM »
Why can't a different era of the show, on a different network, be included in diversity?  Dawson Feud on ABC, Combs Feud on CBS, Karn Feud in syndication.

If we can't even call this a little diversity, then P+ and SP should be considered the same show as well, in which case there is no change in the diversity level at all between this week and next on the GSN sked.  If this is the Board's definition, then I concede.

I, for one, still call the change "diversification".  I'm sure we would agree that if Nick GAS replaced some of the airings of Double Dare 2000 with any of the Marc Summers version, we would be happier with the variety (aka diversity) in the schedule.

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:42:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159205\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 02:18 PM\']
Why can't a different era of the show, on a different network, be included in diversity?  Dawson Feud on ABC, Combs Feud on CBS, Karn Feud in syndication.
[/quote]
Er... there was only one "era" of Super Password, and it ran on only one network.  To claim that two episodes of SP were from different eras, you'd have to say that a Combs CBS Feud from '88 and a Combs CBS Feud from '90 were from different eras.

If we can't even call this a little diversity, then P+ and SP should be considered the same show as well, in which case there is no change in the diversity level at all between this week and next on the GSN sked.  If this is the Board's definition, then I concede.

I, for one, still call the change "diversification".  I'm sure we would agree that if Nick GAS replaced some of the airings of Double Dare 2000 with any of the Marc Summers version, we would be happier with the variety (aka diversity) in the schedule.
You can call it whatever you want.  Regarding SP, you're still wrong, plain and simple.  And bringing up P+ vs. SP to avoid addressing the fact that SP already was on the schedule -- and that adding a second episode does not add diversity -- makes you look even worse.

EDIT: As for Combs Feud, my co-moderator already has said that it adds a little diversity, so arguing that point doesn't help you either.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:48:13 PM by dzinkin »

SwohS Emag

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'159210\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 02:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159205\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 02:18 PM\']
[/quote]
Er... there was only one "era" of Super Password, and it ran on only one network.  To claim that two episodes of SP were from different eras, you'd have to say that a Combs CBS Feud from '88 and a Combs CBS Feud from '90 were from different eras.

You can call it whatever you want.  You're still wrong, plain and simple.  And bringing up P+ vs. SP to avoid addressing the fact that SP already was on the schedule -- and that adding a second episode does not add diversity -- makes you look even worse.
[/quote]

Pardon me - I was not very clear.

The point I failed at making in my previous message was that Password Plus and Super Password, although considered two shows, are so similar in format that SP could be considered a "different era" of P+.

Thus, by the definition outlined by the Moderators, and by clemon, programming a network that was nothing but Dawson Feud 24/7 would be the same level of "diversity" as programming a network that was included only Dawson Feud, Combs Feud, and Karn Feud 24/7.  I disagree.

Moderators: While I appreciate the time, effort, and money it takes for you all to run this forum, please let me know if I am uninvited.  It was mentioned nowhere in the "Eligibility Requirements" that I must "look good" (referencing Mr. Zinkin's comment that my thoughts make me "look even worse").  I do not appreciate the rudeness which comes from a power trip (e.g.,"You're still wrong, plain and simple.").  Feel free to "Ban" me if you wish.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 03:00:37 PM »
The martyr card. Let me show it to you.

dzinkin

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'159211\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 02:58 PM\']
Pardon me - I was not very clear.

The point I failed at making in my previous message was that Password Plus and Super Password, although considered two shows, are so similar in format that SP could be considered a "different era" of P+.

Thus, by the definition outlined by the Moderators, and by clemon, programming a network that was nothing but Dawson Feud 24/7 would be the same level of "diversity" as programming a network that was included only Dawson Feud, Combs Feud, and Karn Feud 24/7.  I disagree.
[/quote]
No, you were perfectly clear.  My point is that no one is arguing with you that adding Combs Feud adds some diversity -- not a lot, but some.  Where you were wrong is in this post, in which you argued that adding a second episode of Super Password contributed to diversity:

Diversity means greater variety. Though SP is already on the schedule, adding a second airing of a show that ran 6 years in 5-a-week daytime is greater in diversity than a show that aired ~350 hour long episodes in primetime. As it is Millionaire already runs multiple times at night, not to mention that its first-runs were over a decade more recent than SP's first-runs.
Now...
Moderators: While I appreciate the time, effort, and money it takes for you all to run this forum, please let me know if I am uninvited.  It was mentioned nowhere in the "Eligibility Requirements" that I must "look good" (referencing Mr. Zinkin's comment that my thoughts make me "look even worse").  I do not appreciate the rudeness which comes from a power trip (e.g.,"You're still wrong, plain and simple.").  Feel free to "Ban" me if you wish.
Calm down.  All I was doing was pointing out that when you make two impassioned arguments in favor of your position, and someone else concedes the second argument but blows the first one out of the water, it looks, well, odd for you to keep arguing in defense of the second one without either admitting that the first was wrong or citing some evidence to back it up.  No more, no less.

No, you are not uninvited, and no, we do not require that you "look good."  But in most discussion forums, people usually prefer to be taken seriously.  That doesn't happen when someone's told you that you're right about something (as you were about Combs Feud) and you keep defending it anyway.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:09:53 PM by dzinkin »