Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Being a host.  (Read 1916 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Being a host.
« on: August 07, 2007, 12:25:47 PM »
Before reading/answering the following question, keep this in mind: I am a serious-minded aspiring actor/comedian with several years of training in the field of dramatic and comedic improvisation, NOT one of those "I'd be good at it because I'm good at it when I play Wheel Of Fortune with my mom at home" people.

From what it looks like to me these days, hosts are selected based on their performance in other genres (Ty Treadway on One Life to Live, Rossi Morreale on TVGuide Channel, etc.), so it seemed to me that the way to get into a game show would be to do something completely different from a game show while still maintaining an interest in the genre, not to mention looking the part and having a winning personality.

But this is all based on what I've seen from 14 years of watching and studying game shows and the game show industry. I could be wrong.

Question is:

How does one get his foot in the door to being a professional game show host?

(I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I wasn't sure if it had been asked by someone truly in a position to pursue it.)
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Being a host.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »
My sarcastic answer:

Most current game show hosts were stand-up comedians in the late 1980's/early 1990's, so you just have to be one of those. Failing that, then accurately predict from what other form of seemingly unrelated entertainment all new game show hosts will be coming fifteen years from now, and do that.

My real answer, from what little I've observed so far:

When Bob Barker was asked the same question at Price tapings, he would say that he got his start and honed his skills by doing audience participation shows. Of course, there are no audience participation shows nowadays, so you have to find some other way to develop your ability to interact with people who aren't entirely comfortable being on television and still make it entertaining. In my opinion, you're on the right track by doing something that isn't a game show (ideally, it should include you interacting with the general public somehow) but still keeping an interest in doing emcee-like things. Demonstrate that you can preside over a program and that you can work with other people.

Oh, and luck. Luck plays a big factor, too.

--
Scott Robinson

tvrandywest

Being a host.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »
Only time for a short answer right now, but I'm happy to help somebody who has the passion and is serious about approaching the work as a career.

I'd first like to draw the distinction between two issues, both are important to success, but are sometimes only distantly related:

1) Developing skills as a performer, ad-libber, and motivator of on-stage action.
Appearance and charissma are the wild card prerequisites that you must bring to the table. Above that you build the skills by hundreds or thousands of hours of trial and error, performing in gigs such as stand-up, disc jockey, audience warm-up. corporate speaker, talk show host, stand-in for TV personalities, traffic school instructor, or other activities that put you in front of an audience, interacting with other humans, motivating the conversation or action.

2) Exploiting success, fame or notoriety from another pursuit.
The "suits" seem unwilling these days to gamble on an unknown. While sports figures, actors, and trial attorneys have gotten their shots, I believe that popularity in more directly related entertainment or broadcasting pursuits will usually tend to yield greatest success.

There's no school or predictable path. You create your own opportunities, luck, synchronicity and serendipity. Believe in yourself, be focused and tireless, network, observe and seek mentors.

Good luck. I'd welcome the chance to say, "And here's our host, DoorNumberFour"!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:42:22 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Being a host.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
Thank you for your advice, Scott and Randy.

I gotta tell you.

I am truly blessed to be part of a forum where a dreamer like me can seek advice from people I could only hope to ask otherwise.

Thank you again, so much.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com