Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A little thought about BTB '76  (Read 5058 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
A little thought about BTB '76
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 07:00:26 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'160288\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 09:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'160286\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 10:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160281\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 07:47 PM\']
I always find it interesting what exists and doesn't exist from that era.  While I'm glad that Break the Bank exists, it's surprising that shows like The Better Sex, which actually came after BTB, don't seem to be around (except for scattered episodes).
[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have SWORN that the entire run of The Better Sex exists in GSN's vault.
[/quote]
Based on what, out of curiosity?
[/quote]

No, based on a list that was on the internet a while back that listed every game show and its level of existence.

Ah, here it is.

But now that it's been updated, it says the status is unknown, but that it has aired on GSN.

Here's N-Z, too, for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:01:08 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »
But now that it's been updated, it says the status is unknown, but that it has aired on GSN.

Exactly 2 episodes of The Better Sex have been run on GSN, and 2 others exist in the trade curcuit.  Considering that GSN has run almost every other GT show they have, including many short-lived shows, I think it's safe to assume that they don't have the entire run of this.  

One of the episodes they have they've actually run twice - once on the old Wide World of Games, and another time when they aired shows "that we have stored away in our vault".  If they had more than 2 airable episodes, it's interesting that they chose to repeat one they had previously aired rather than running a different one.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

dzinkin

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 02:15:38 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'160312\' date=\'Aug 12 2007, 07:00 AM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'160288\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 09:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'160286\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 10:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160281\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 07:47 PM\']
I always find it interesting what exists and doesn't exist from that era.  While I'm glad that Break the Bank exists, it's surprising that shows like The Better Sex, which actually came after BTB, don't seem to be around (except for scattered episodes).
[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have SWORN that the entire run of The Better Sex exists in GSN's vault.
[/quote]
Based on what, out of curiosity?
[/quote]
No, based on a list that was on the internet a while back that listed every game show and its level of existence.
[/quote]
Er... I didn't ask you if your belief arose out of curiosity, I was asking out of curiosity.  (I don't even know how the former would occur.)  But thank you for your answer nonetheless.

catnap1972

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160338\' date=\'Aug 12 2007, 02:01 PM\']

Exactly 2 episodes of The Better Sex have been run on GSN, and 2 others exist in the trade curcuit.  Considering that GSN has run almost every other GT show they have, including many short-lived shows, I think it's safe to assume that they don't have the entire run of this.  

One of the episodes they have they've actually run twice - once on the old Wide World of Games, and another time when they aired shows "that we have stored away in our vault".  If they had more than 2 airable episodes, it's interesting that they chose to repeat one they had previously aired rather than running a different one.
[/quote]

Didn't I remember reading somewhere (here?) where someone had a copy their appearance on FF and the label was stuck over a TBS label?  If that's the case, most likely the better part of TBS run ended up in the great recycler in the sky.

Even the episodes GSN does have look like they were copies and not originals (picture has that "fuzzy" look to them)

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'160404\' date=\'Aug 13 2007, 07:29 AM\']
Even the episodes GSN does have look like they were copies and not originals (picture has that "fuzzy" look to them)
[/quote]

My guess: Network airchecks. Even the later shows have that soft look and muddy sound. Compare that to, say, the "Love Connection" eps. GSN's airing [shot at ABC Hollywood around the same time]----there's a noticeable difference in quality.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »
My guess: Network airchecks. Even the later shows have that soft look and muddy sound. Compare that to, say, the "Love Connection" eps. GSN's airing [shot at ABC Hollywood around the same time]----there's a noticeable difference in quality.

I certainly found that many of the late '70s $20,000 Pyramid episodes GSN ran also had a bit of a "muddy" look to them.

It's been said that the reason the ABC run of Newlywed Game hasn't been on GSN's regular schedule is because of "color deterioration" (something I still find hard to believe considering the good quality of ABC Dating Game episodes), but the ABC Newlywed Games that GSN did run looked a lot better than some of those Pyramid episodes.
NEW LOCATION!!!

chrispw1

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 08:56:13 PM »
Is the CBS run of Tic Tac Dough still around? I was thinking since Barry&Enright  seemed to do a good job holding on to their shows and CBS seems to have the highest survival rate of 70s daytime game shows among the three networks that they'd still be around but from what I saw on the survival list it says rumored to be lost. Also, I asume they never reaired on CBN, USA or GSN with the syndicated epiosdes.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 11:04:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chrispw1\' post=\'160462\' date=\'Aug 13 2007, 07:56 PM\']
Is the CBS run of Tic Tac Dough still around? I was thinking since Barry&Enright  seemed to do a good job holding on to their shows and CBS seems to have the highest survival rate of 70s daytime game shows among the three networks that they'd still be around but from what I saw on the survival list it says rumored to be lost. Also, I asume they never reaired on CBN, USA or GSN with the syndicated epiosdes.
[/quote]

The only episodes I've seen on the trading circuit are from original broadcast.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

RMF

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 12:12:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'160420\' date=\'Aug 13 2007, 11:22 AM\']
[/quote]

I can swear that, on a couple of occasions, GSN has accidentially shown commercials or parts of commercials from the period, further suggesting an aircheck origin.

Hasn't someone on this board spotted clips from CBS episodes of Tic Tac Dough being used by GSN?

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 12:19:01 AM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' post=\'160476\' date=\'Aug 14 2007, 12:12 AM\']
I can swear that, on a couple of occasions, GSN has accidentially shown commercials or parts of commercials from the period, further suggesting an aircheck origin.
[/quote]
They've shown a few from $20K Pyramid, Dawson's Feud, and TPiR, c. late-70s or early-80s.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
Hasn't someone on this board spotted clips from CBS episodes of Tic Tac Dough being used by GSN?

While I can't remember every post that's been made here, I don't recall that one.  There are some differences, such as the use of lockout devices on certain questions, and a different end game, so if GSN had used some clips I think we'd have known about it.

The only episodes of the short CBS run known to be around are the first four episodes from original broadcast, and the copies in the trade curcuit are in poor quality.
NEW LOCATION!!!