Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: For those that were around in 1975  (Read 5894 times)

whewfan

For those that were around in 1975
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
If there is anyone here that remembers when TPIR went from the drab brown set to the much more colorful green set,  what was your reaction seeing such a transformation?
If there's nobody here that remembers that, or isn't old enough to remember, what do you think people would've said on this forum if it existed in 1975?

Let's see if I can recall all the set changes

Early 1972, the turntable's colors and patterns change slightly, with more yellow and a black stripe, lights are added to the turntable.

Sometime in 1975- The turntable gets green carpeting and a green border, but the rest of the set stays the same

Later in 1975- The big doors get a green border, the striped pattern on the big doors gets a radical color change, the colorful curtains are added behind the audience. The turntable gets it's first purple and orange look. Contestant's row gets revamped and remains for the rest of the run.

1981- 82  Lights are removed from the turntable

1983- Turntable gets a plushier look and pattern that would remain for most of the run. ALso, I believe the green and blue contestant's row readouts get switched for some reason. (possibly to compliment the new curtains)

1984- Contestant's row podiums now a purplish-pink.

1985- Contestant's row podiums go back to green

1989- The turntable gets a gold border and red carpeting, later the stripes around the big doors become gold.

2002- The big doors get the most radical transformation in years with blue being the dominant color
Later, contestant's row gets silver borders around the readouts. The hideous Hollywood mural debuts later, then the pink, purple and blue design that stayed for the rest of the run. During the Hollywood mural phase, the reverse of the turntable was pink, purple and yellow. However, in the MDS, the Hollywood mural had a more blue-ish nighttime look, and Bob liked that blue so much, they incorporated it in the new design. The carpeting on the turntable is also changed to blue.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:32:56 AM »
At some time, the showcase podiums also were changed.

There was the original design...(forgive me if my dates are off; I'm only recalling from the GSN repeats from several years ago).  Then, from about 1975-1983, the red/green *s were used.  In 1983, it changed to orange and purple *s, until the new podiums appeared (1984?).

I believe it was changed to blue/pink around the time the Hollywood mural came out, and sometime after that, the display was flip-flopped.

I also believe the red carpeting occurred after 1989, because I seem to recall the 1991-92 episode still had the green carpeting.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:24:12 AM »
In 75 the members of this forum would not have noticed any set changes as we were all in school when the changes happened, were too young to see the show in person and only Andy Warhol had a VCR at his house.  We were more familiar with the Dennis James version anyway.  Barker was the guy on Truth or Consequences.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:36:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'161355\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 09:24 AM\']
In 75 the members of this forum would not have noticed any set changes as we were all in school when the changes happened, were too young to see the show in person and only Andy Warhol had a VCR at his house.  We were more familiar with the Dennis James version anyway.  Barker was the guy on Truth or Consequences.
[/quote]

We did have summers back then, you know. As a young T or C fan, I much preferred the daytime version. I recall thinking, "wow, they changed the stage," excitement I haven't felt since, what, 32 years later.

Well, okay, I have felt excitement, just not about that. Was it around then they had It's Optional and Finish Line? I loved Finish Line. Even at the ripe old age of 8, I could tell it was Give or Take, but cooler.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:13:44 PM »
Sometime during the 1998-99 season, the turntable design went from the plush padding to a more stucco-style setup, same pattern and colors as previously.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:39:30 PM »
Later in 1975- The big doors get a green border, the striped pattern on the big doors gets a radical color change, the colorful curtains are added behind the audience. The turntable gets it's first purple and orange look. Contestant's row gets revamped and remains for the rest of the run.

I probably would have said "why did they do away with the eggcrate readouts...I kind of like those"

Seriously, I can understand why they changed them, as the readouts they've had since '75 are probably a lot more durable.

Usually when a set changed I liked it...but sometimes looking back now I actually preferred the original.  Case in point:  Match Game.  In '78 when they added a lot of blue, I liked it; but watching the reruns now I think I prefer the original orange set and sign.

Anyone else have similar likes/dislikes?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 06:31:20 PM »
Yeah - I wonder how our members would've taken the orange-to-blue transition on the Pyramid back in the day, or how they digested the revival's new set in the early 80s.

And re: the turntable carpet, that went to red in early '92. Before I found that out, I would've guessed it was gone by the end of the 80s. It just seemed so hideously out of date for there to be puke green carpet on a set.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 06:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'161401\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 06:31 PM\']
  • r how they digested the revival's new set in the early 80s.
  • [/quote]
    "Why the hell are they calling themselves 'New' again? They've been on the air for two months!" :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
When The Hollywood Squares changed its set near the end of its run on NBC, I was watching on my black and white television and I thought, "Whoa. That's new. Neat". Then I got a gander of that sucker in living color and realized how yucko it was.
I thought the nigthtime Jeopardy! set had some pizzazz in the mid-70s complete with the extra light bulbs and Art Fleming's loud tuxedos. Seeing a photo of that set and Art's wardrobe now compared to its NBC counterpart, I marvel at what thrilled me at the time. Of course, in '75, I also believed I looked stylin' while wearing a leisure suit and a mood ring.
The Joker's Wild set change in 1978 (along with the Hal Hidey music) I liked very much. Still do.
As for Tic Tac Dough, I prefer to believe that show went off the air in 1985 and never came back.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:00:36 PM by Don Howard »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:47:07 PM »
Stepping into obsessive dork mode for a moment...

Early 1972, the turntable's colors and patterns change slightly, with more yellow and a black stripe, lights are added to the turntable.
September 18, 1972.  11th show.

Also, between the debuts of Lucky Seven and Temptation (which was a little over a week, late August-early September '73), they made the turning panels a solid cream color.  They added a stripe around the edge between the debuts of Temptation and Mystery Price (about another week and a half).

August 19, 1975, although the curtains weren't changed until early September.

1981- 82 Lights are removed from the turntable
December '82...I won't try to give an exact date, because there were some shows taped out of order around that point.

EDIT on 2/18/08, in case anyone ever comes back to look at this:  The changes happened on December 13, but due to a couple weeks being taped out of order, they weren't present on the Christmas shows from December 20-24, and they were present on the Home Viewer Showcase episodes the week of November 15-19.

1983- Turntable gets a plushier look and pattern that would remain for most of the run.
Same time as the lights were removed.

ALso, I believe the green and blue contestant's row readouts get switched for some reason. (possibly to compliment the new curtains)
September or October of '81.

1989- The turntable gets a gold border and red carpeting, later the stripes around the big doors become gold.
Actually May 27, 1992 for both changes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:22:42 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »
(Continued in order to make the quote tags work...)

2002- The big doors get the most radical transformation in years with blue being the dominant color
Later, contestant's row gets silver borders around the readouts. The hideous Hollywood mural debuts later, then the pink, purple and blue design that stayed for the rest of the run. During the Hollywood mural phase, the reverse of the turntable was pink, purple and yellow. However, in the MDS, the Hollywood mural had a more blue-ish nighttime look, and Bob liked that blue so much, they incorporated it in the new design. The carpeting on the turntable is also changed to blue.
New doors and Hollywood mural were both September 24, 2002 -- the second show of Season 31.  The silver Contestants' Row border were January 31, 2003; the orange display changed to yellow at the same time.  The current Turntable walls and the blue carpet were March 7, 2003 (aired on March 10 due to a pre-emption).

At some time, the showcase podiums also were changed.

There was the original design...(forgive me if my dates are off; I'm only recalling from the GSN repeats from several years ago). Then, from about 1975-1983, the red/green *s were used. In 1983, it changed to orange and purple *s, until the new podiums appeared (1984?).
I think the colors changed around December '82...I ought to try to get a better date for that.  The new podiums appeared on September 10, 1984, the Season 13 premiere.

I believe it was changed to blue/pink around the time the Hollywood mural came out, and sometime after that, the display was flip-flopped.
The color change was again March 7, 2003.  The display change happened on February 20, 2004.

Well, okay, I have felt excitement, just not about that. Was it around then they had It's Optional and Finish Line? I loved Finish Line. Even at the ripe old age of 8, I could tell it was Give or Keep, but cooler.
No, those didn't debut until 1978.

Sometime during the 1998-99 season, the turntable design went from the plush padding to a more stucco-style setup, same pattern and colors as previously.
March 4, 1999.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:54:50 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

calliaume

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'161401\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:31 PM\']
Yeah - I wonder how our members would've taken the orange-to-blue transition on the Pyramid back in the day.
[/quote]
Eh.  It wasn't that big a deal.

ActualRetailMike

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 11:13:46 PM »
Before they changed the numeric displays in Contestant's Row, remember that an asterisk used to flash alongside the winning bid.  Isn't the * a Goodson-Todman signature of some sort?  The post-1975 displays couldn't form an asterisk of course, nor could they spell OVER or handle 5-6 digit values which must be why the Showcase kept them.

When the new Showcase podiums appeared, they added the word "SHOWCASE" in the top of each one.  Before that, the space was just blank before they replaced it with the display cards indicating who had which prize, e.g. BOAT, TRIP, or less often a theme name like ELEVATOR for when the model played an elevator operator in a department store.  (Who else noticed how, in the Dennis James version, where there was no commercial break between the bids and the price revelations, the display cards were discreetly slipped in place during the second showcase presentation?)

When did the Any Number game go from having the word "Piggy Bank" on the display, in the same font as the other prizes, to having a likeness of one mounted to the board?  I recall at least once, with the text option, a model shook an actual piggy bank during the game's introduction.

Gotta like how they kept that early-1970's NCR electro-mechanical cash register in the Grocery Game, right until the very end (and beyond? But where would they get spare parts, eBay?). Wonder how many of the younger viewers have never seen one of those anywhere else, or know what that crazy chuk-cha-ching sound is for.

One other set change, unless it was just my imagination: did there used to be these metallic-colored dollar signs hanging from the ceiling over the audience?

Clay Zambo

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 12:15:12 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'161465\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 11:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'161401\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:31 PM\']
Yeah - I wonder how our members would've taken the orange-to-blue transition on the Pyramid back in the day.
[/quote]
Eh.  It wasn't that big a deal.
[/quote]

Not a big deal, but I did wonder why.

Of course, I also freaked a little bit out when "Price" dropped "New" from its title.
czambo@mac.com

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:35:09 AM »
[quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'161467\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 11:13 PM\']
Before they changed the numeric displays in Contestant's Row, remember that an asterisk used to flash alongside the winning bid.  Isn't the * a Goodson-Todman signature of some sort?  The post-1975 displays couldn't form an asterisk of course, nor could they spell OVER or handle 5-6 digit values which must be why the Showcase kept them.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call the asterisk just a Goodson thing.  Mike Douglas and The Dating Game used them on-set as well.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.