Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So I have a home version of "Double Exposure"...  (Read 1422 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
So I have a home version of "Double Exposure"...
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:39:22 AM »
And I'd like to put it on eBay.

From the research I've done, a copy of this game is valued at between $80 and $100.

Would the fact that it has only one piece missing (a prize card) steer bidders away, or is this slightly-imperfect game still reasonably valuable?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:40:49 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'161931\' date=\'Aug 25 2007, 09:39 AM\']From the research I've done, a copy of this game is valued at between $80 and $100.[/quote]
This is a subject I'm pretty familiar with, and I would gently suggest that your research is flawed.  You may have found a reference book or two that quoted such a figure, but the truth is that when the game turns up on Ebay, it just doesn't go for that much.  I think there have been people here who've picked up copies for less than ten bucks.

It's rare, yes.  One of the rarest.  There just aren't a lot of people around who want it.  The fact that a piece is missing certainly doesn't help matters, but it's impossible to say whether you might find a buyer out there who doesn't mind as long as the box looks good.  If you're really lucky, you'll find two would-be buyers that start a bidding war.

If you're not comfortable letting it go at any price, put in a reasonable reserve, something you'd be happy with (I'd suggest $50), and cross your fingers.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:11:18 PM »
I'll second the home game expert's comments.  As you can see here, last year I picked up a complete copy of the game for $8.  It wasn't quite in mint condition, as it was described, but it was in pretty good shape for its age and, again, complete.  I wouldn't expect to get 10 times that much for an incomplete version.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:00:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'161990\' date=\'Aug 26 2007, 08:11 PM\']
I'll second the home game expert's comments.  As you can see here, last year I picked up a complete copy of the game for $8.  It wasn't quite in mint condition, as it was described, but it was in pretty good shape for its age and, again, complete.  I wouldn't expect to get 10 times that much for an incomplete version.[/quote]
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that I actually paid $100 for mine, about twelve years ago.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.