Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Multiple Auditions  (Read 3958 times)

GSFan

Multiple Auditions
« on: August 30, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »
Since October 2003, I have auditioned for Who Wants To Be A Millionaire approximately 30 times, passing the test between 20 and 30.  I actually lost count of the number of times I have auditioned; it may be more than 30.  To date, I have not gotten on the show.  The audition process has become a game in itself.  It's frustratingly fun and I am not giving up!

Anyone else go through multiple auditions prior to being a contestant?

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

Steve McClellan

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 02:54 PM\']I actually lost count of the number of times I have auditioned; it may be more than 30.  To date, I have not gotten on the show.[/quote]
I know it's been done; people have mentioned on shows that they've auditioned something like 27 times. As such, you might be able to help your chances if you can track down the exact number; it could be something else interesting for you to mention in your interview.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:17:41 PM by Steve McClellan »

Matt Ottinger

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:58:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'162381\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 06:17 PM\']
[quote name=\'GSFan\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 02:54 PM\']I actually lost count of the number of times I have auditioned; it may be more than 30.  To date, I have not gotten on the show.[/quote]
I know it's been done; people have mentioned on shows that they've auditioned something like 27 times. As such, you might be able to help your chances if you can track down the exact number; it could be something else interesting for you to mention in your interview.[/quote]
I'm surprised that a quiz show like Millionaire even allows such frequent auditioning.  For Jeopardy, you audition no more than once a year.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
They're just not that into you.

Seriously.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvmitch

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'162400\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 07:20 PM\']

Seriously.
[/quote]
Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Matt's right here....you aren't what they are looking for, and at this point, I wouldn't doubt that every single staff member recognizes you, which is just about the worst thing that could happen. For that reason, no matter what you might do differently between takes, your application goes in the same pile.

I don't think that presenting an exact number of auditions would help your case either, because the coordinators who have been there the longest have the paperwork to prove it. Millionaire is going to be around for awhile - I think a good idea might be to hold off auditioning for 6-12 months and see what happens.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Multiple Auditions
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'162404\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 05:50 PM\']
Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Matt's right here....you aren't what they are looking for, and at this point, I wouldn't doubt that every single staff member recognizes you, which is just about the worst thing that could happen. For that reason, no matter what you might do differently between takes, your application goes in the same pile.
[/quote]
Three words: Leonid, the Magnificent.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'162405\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 08:56 PM\']Three words: Leonid, the Magnificent.[/quote]
There's also Buck Star from Last Comic Standing, and who knows how many Idol wannabes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Multiple Auditions
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'162405\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 07:56 PM\']Three words: Leonid, the Magnificent.[/quote]
But to my eyes, that looked like a case of the producers thinking, "We can create controversy by putting through this oddball performer, and that manufactured controversy will promote word-of-mouth and bring viewers to the show. Besides, the audience isn't going to vote for him to be the final winner." Not quite the same as casting contestants for a single-player game show.

--
Scott Robinson

clemon79

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 10:08:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'162407\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 06:11 PM\']
But to my eyes, that looked like a case of the producers thinking, "We can create controversy by putting through this oddball performer, and that manufactured controversy will promote word-of-mouth and bring viewers to the show. Besides, the audience isn't going to vote for him to be the final winner." Not quite the same as casting contestants for a single-player game show.
[/quote]
Agreed. My point was not that Leonid was weird and got put through for a little pub, my point was that after it as made clear that he didn't have a hope in purple hell of winning, he came BACK.

GSFan

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'162404\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 08:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'162400\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 07:20 PM\']

Seriously.
[/quote]

I don't think that presenting an exact number of auditions would help your case either, because the coordinators who have been there the longest have the paperwork to prove it. Millionaire is going to be around for awhile - I think a good idea might be to hold off auditioning for 6-12 months and see what happens.
[/quote]

Mitch:

I do agree with you.  I usually audition in the summer months only and do not go back after September for the remainder of their taping season.  Hence, it is usually 6-9 months between my audition season.  I am simply curious to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

I am the "Susan Lucci" of Millionaire.  Multiple auditions, no getting on the show!

David

clemon79

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 11:46:15 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'162430\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 08:35 PM\']
I am simply curious to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.
[/quote]
I'm gonna guess that most people have gotten the hint before going back 30 times.

That said, it costs you nothing to do it, so if it makes you happy to press on, bully. But I would not expect results at this point.

dzinkin

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 11:50:56 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'162430\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 11:35 PM\']
I usually audition in the summer months only and do not go back after September for the remainder of their taping season.  Hence, it is usually 6-9 months between my audition season.
[/quote]
Well, if you've auditioned 30 times, and it's only during the summer months each year, that means that on average you're auditioning five to six times over each period of three to four months — or more than once a month.  I'd be very surprised if they weren't tired of seeing you by now and I'm even more surprised that they haven't told you "enough already."

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'162395\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 06:58 PM\']
I'm surprised that a quiz show like Millionaire even allows such frequent auditioning.  For Jeopardy, you audition no more than once a year.
[/quote]
Amazingly, per the show's web site, no limit is actually stated — only the fact that the show reserves the right to have one.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:51:43 PM by dzinkin »

GSFan

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 12:02:51 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'162433\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 11:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'162430\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 11:35 PM\']
I usually audition in the summer months only and do not go back after September for the remainder of their taping season.  Hence, it is usually 6-9 months between my audition season.
[/quote]
Well, if you've auditioned 30 times, and it's only during the summer months each year, that means that on average you're auditioning five to six times over each period of three to four months — or more than once a month.  I'd be very surprised if they weren't tired of seeing you by now and I'm even more surprised that they haven't told you "enough already."[/quote]

That's the interesting thing.  They have not told me "enough already" and everyone who interviews me seems genuinely interested in me.  I would simply like to hear something definite one way or the other.  If they are "tired of seeing me", nobody has said anything yet.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:19:07 AM by dzinkin »

davemackey

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 01:45:33 AM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'162376\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 05:54 PM\']
Anyone else go through multiple auditions prior to being a contestant?
[/quote]
Discounting phone-in attempts during the Regis era, I only took the audition test twice for Millionaire. I passed the test but not the interview on the first go-round, but then on the second time I passed the interview and got on the show. So keep on trying. Surely some interviewer will like you!

tvmitch

Multiple Auditions
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 08:29:49 AM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'162434\' date=\'Aug 31 2007, 12:02 AM\']
That's the interesting thing.  They have not told me "enough already" and everyone who interviews me seems genuinely interested in me.  I would simply like to hear something definite one way or the other.  If they are "tired of seeing me", nobody has said anything yet.
[/quote]
That's because this is their job, to be nice to people and extend a good image for the show to its biggest fans.

I'm not usually one to say "give up," and if this was the phone game, we'd all have a few broken phone touchpads by now...like Chris said, if you enjoy it, and it's exciting, by all means.

(Just don't doubt for a second that one of those PAs might be keeping score for fun.)
You should follow me on Twitter