Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Temptation stations?  (Read 5440 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

Temptation stations?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »
A third on my part.  Up until late 2000, our cable system back home carried a nice little hodgepodge of Nashville, TN locals, Louisville, KY locals and....Detroit, MI locals.  (Well, WDIV and WXYZ anyway).  That was nice.  (Home being in the Nashville DMA pretty much just north on the KY side of the KY/TN border)

Craig Karlberg

Temptation stations?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 03:51:23 AM »
I had a simallar situation when I lived in Easton Pennsylvamia a few years ago at my oldest niece's house.  Not only would I get all the Philly stations but most of the New York stations(thank heavens RCN Cable wasn't anything like Comcast is where I live now).

LA the DJ

Temptation stations?
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 03:57:19 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'162216\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 11:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'162215\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 11:20 PM\']
And maybe we should complain to Comcast. I know I will be. Because it makes NO sense for me to recieve two NBC and CBS stations.
[/quote]
There are people who see getting multiple affiliates of a network as a plus, y'know. :-)
[/quote]

Yeah, when I lived in the small town of Defiance, OH, it was real nice getting Toledo, OH, and Fort Wayne, IN (and we had a Lima, OH NBC affil) stations, especially during daylight savings when I could catch TPiR at noon if I missed it.

It was also great during NFL season when I'd often get a choice of several games (I felt bad for the people of Toledo who were stuck watching the Browns and Lions lose every week).
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

urbanpreppie05

Temptation stations?
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 08:36:16 AM »
There are people who see getting multiple affiliates of a network as a plus, y'know. :-)

This is true...and in all honesty, I would have no problem recieving all of the Central PA affiliates, or heck, even Youngstown's channels. (I used to watch Hollywood Squares via Rabbit ears on CBS-27 as none of the Cleveland stations carried it)
However, WJAC-6 is owned by WPXI-11 out of Pittsburgh. Because of that, the style is the same, the syndicated programs are the same, it's just really, really bland news.
And don't get me started on WTAJ-10.

/this could have all been prevented if WTAE picked up ONE game show
insert signature here

Steve Gavazzi

Temptation stations?
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'162242\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 08:36 AM\']
/this could have all been prevented if WTAE picked up ONE game show
[/quote]

Oh, with the anchors who pronounce "Pollock Road" as an ethnic slur?  Or the weathergirl who literally couldn't keep track from day to day how many Dakotas there are?  Or the story about the house fire that was "started by the owners...[pregnant pause]...two dogs"?

Words cannot express how nice it is to have WTAE back.

TimK2003

Temptation stations?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 11:01:36 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'162215\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 11:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'162214\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 10:55 PM\']
If 20th Television is looking to turn this show into a hit, it's not going to be here in Pittsburgh.

So I read it's going to be on the low power WBGN station which unless you have a really good OTA antenna, or a Comcast system that carries it, you're out of luck.

[/quote]

And maybe we should complain to Comcast. I know I will be. Because it makes NO sense for me to recieve two NBC and CBS stations.
[/quote]

While it might not be an added bonus for you, for others in the Pittsburgh area who are a little slow in *understanding* what they see on TV (especially Steelers fans*), Comcast provides a public service for these people by airing the channels out of Wheeling, West Virginia where it's unusual for someone to actually "get it" the first time around.  :-)

/WV's state color:  Primer
//WV's state mineral: Bondo
///*- And yes, I'm starting the Browns/Steelers razzing 2-1/2 weeks early -- Go Browns!!!

dzinkin

Temptation stations?
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 11:19:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'162224\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 12:25 AM\']
A third on my part.  Up until late 2000, our cable system back home carried a nice little hodgepodge of Nashville, TN locals, Louisville, KY locals and....Detroit, MI locals.  (Well, WDIV and WXYZ anyway).
[/quote]
I'd bet that WDIV and WXYZ were added initially because some of the cable system headends couldn't pick up a local NBC or ABC affiliate reliably over the air.  Back then the only way to get a network affiliate via satellite would have been through Cancom, which uplinked the Detroit locals primarily for Canadian cable systems.  (These days, Cancom -- now Shaw Broadcast -- uplinks six sets of US network affiliates for Canadian systems, and Primetime 24 and Dish Network supply network affiliates for US systems that can't get them any other way.)

I suspect that, as in the case of Steve Gavazzi's cable system (which kept WXYZ until fairly recently even though WATM was available), WDIV and WXYZ were left on your system because your actual locals just hadn't bothered to challenge it until then.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Temptation stations?
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 11:42:52 PM »
The only thing that the Pittsburgh affils are good for is game shows.  I forget where I heard that it was rated the worst news market.

At least GSN is main tier and there are a bunch of digital stations I don't see listed in my permanent home in Bucks County.

/AZN TV amuses me.
//But Sci-Fi is digital only.  WTF?
This signature is currently under construction.

Steve Gavazzi

Temptation stations?
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'162322\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 11:42 PM\']
The only thing that the Pittsburgh affils are good for is game shows.  I forget where I heard that it was rated the worst news market.[/quote]

Obviously somewhere that never bothered to look at the Johnstown-Altoona market.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Temptation stations?
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 12:37:26 PM »
After doing a TitanTV search just a couple of minutes ago, I was dissapointed to find out that neither Des Moines/Ames nor Cedar Rapids/Waterloo/Dubuque/Iowa City will be carrying Temptation.  When does Crosswords start?  If its the 17th, I'll hold out a little hope, but if its the tenth, I guess I'll go without either new show.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chelsea Thrasher

Temptation stations?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'162341\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 12:37 PM\']Cedar Rapids/Waterloo/Dubuque/Iowa City
 [/quote]

KWWL 1:30 PM, sandwiched between WWTBAM and a Jeopardy double run.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Temptation stations?
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'162343\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 11:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'162341\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 12:37 PM\']Cedar Rapids/Waterloo/Dubuque/Iowa City
 [/quote]

KWWL 1:30 PM, sandwiched between WWTBAM and a Jeopardy double run.
[/quote]
Thanks for finding it.  I just tried doing the search for it again, and all it brought up was the preview episodes on CW.

Nonetheless, thank you.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gsfreak82

Temptation stations?
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »
I'd like to correct myself for an earlier entry.  So far Philly isn't getting Temptation, it can only be seen on WFMZ 69 in Allentown.

dzinkin

Temptation stations?
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 08:57:23 AM »
[quote name=\'gsfreak82\' post=\'162451\' date=\'Aug 31 2007, 08:12 AM\']
I'd like to correct myself for an earlier entry.  So far Philly isn't getting Temptation, it can only be seen on WFMZ 69 in Allentown.
[/quote]
According to Zap2It, that's not correct -- it also will air at 3 am weekdays on WTXF.