Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Mini-game on GSN.com...  (Read 1851 times)

sotcfan2004

New Mini-game on GSN.com...
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:24:03 PM »
See for yourself

CLICK HERE

Steve McClellan

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
For those who would like some idea what they're clicking on, it's a Grand Slam game, and it is indeed decent.

EDIT: Aside from the relatively-frequent factual errors and ambiguous questions. But I'm the current high-score holder, so it can't be too bad. ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:50:41 PM by Steve McClellan »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:01:44 AM »
Oh.  My.  Gosh.  As Steve said, outside of a few glitches, this is the best game GSN has made.

Currently, I have the 8th highest score and if I didn't do a stoopid (bypassing putting my initials in), I would've had the 2nd highest.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 04:04:08 AM »
The math part is pretty easy for me.  It's the first(General Knowledge) round that messes me up.  It took me like 7 or 8 tries before I advanced to the next round.  At least it's a neat Flash game.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'162429\' date=\'Aug 30 2007, 11:30 PM\']EDIT: Aside from the relatively-frequent factual errors and ambiguous questions. But I'm the current high-score holder, so it can't be too bad. ;)[/quote]
It's very good, but it moves so fast that I can't stop to figure out whether it's factual errors or my own mistakes that are doing me in (I have yet to finish a game).  Like a lot of type-in-the-answer games, you have to give it exactly what it wants to be correct.  "Jefferson" apparently isn't good enough for 'Thomas Jefferson', for example.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 03:32:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'162477\' date=\'Aug 31 2007, 12:21 PM\']
Like a lot of type-in-the-answer games, you have to give it exactly what it wants to be correct.  "Jefferson" apparently isn't good enough for 'Thomas Jefferson', for example.
[/quote]
Which is really annoying and incredibly lazy programming. There's no reason their question database can't have some "alternate correct answer" entries. Yes, I realize it's not a perfect system, but it would create a far better user experience, better enough to absolutely be worth the minimal additional work.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »
In the math round, I was asked how to "express 1/2 as a decimal".
I entered .5 and it was counted as incorrect.

Other than little quirks like that, the game is pretty neat.  And, not that I'm defending Karlberg, but the first round is kind of heavy on pop culture.  If you're not into movies (like me), you have a good chance of not passing the round.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:35:13 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve McClellan

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 04:08:18 PM »
Note also that there is a very odd rule: if you miss a question in round one, 10 seconds are deducted from your time. If you miss a question in rounds two through four, a miss is a five-second deduction. Hence, appropriate strategy is to use all three of your passes in the first round if you aren't reasonably sure of your answer.

As for factual inaccuracies, I'd definitely say that not accepting ".5" as the decimal equivalent of 1/2 falls into that category (I had that experience as well). I'm fairly sure that it deducted for a correct answer on one of their multiple-choice questions, but the nature of the game being what it is, I can't be 100% sure, nor can I remember the question well enough to verify.