Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crosswords, Temptation ratings are in  (Read 22061 times)

Scrabbleship

Crosswords, Temptation ratings are in
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2007, 12:34:27 PM »
Game shows are doomed :(.

Sodboy13

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2007, 12:38:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'164274\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 11:34 AM\']
[/quote]

That's a brush so broad, you could paint the whole wall in one stroke.  But yeah, you go ahead, you think that.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2007, 12:44:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'164274\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 12:34 PM\'] Game shows are doomed :(. [/quote]  
That's one of the more ridiculous things I've seen written around here.   The poor performance of two shows whose production is mediocre on a GOOD day isn't a death knell for the genre, it's not the a sign that the public doesn't like game show anymore, it's not a sign I should sell Bed Bath & Beyond stock, and it isn't the end of the world,

In Temptation's case, this had to have been seen coming.  The early episodes have been poorly produced messes either airing in decent timeslots on lower-tier stations, or poor timeslots on better stations, targeted towards a demographic that doesn't really care anymore, and whose budget almost makes Mo Money look like a GOOD THING.    Rossi, though I've seen worse, is a subpar host at best.  Supposedly the newer eps in the can are better, but in a market climate of "perform or get cancelled", Temptation will probably never be able to find an audience no matter how much they've fixed things. Crosswords suffers similar flaws.  Mediocre-to-poor clearance outside of the NBC O&Os, a horrific prize budget, a format that rewards dumb luck despite being a more cerebral show, the very fact that it's a more cerebral show in 2007...the show is better than Temptation, but otherwise still poor.
-----
Everything said, it's context time. Syndication's experiencing across the board losses.   WoF is down to 6.3 (still #1) and Jeopardy is about a point lower. while Millionaire's hovering around a 3 and Feud is at 1.5  It's not just games that are falling though: Oprah's at 4.5...pretty much EVERYTHING is down noticeably over just a few years ago.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:54:22 PM by Seth Thrasher »

BrandonFG

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'164278\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 12:44 PM\']
Everything said, it's context time. Syndication's experiencing across the board losses.   WoF is down to 6.3 (still #1) and Jeopardy is about a point lower. while Millionaire's hovering around a 3 and Feud is at 1.5  It's not just games that are falling though: Oprah's at 4.5...pretty much EVERYTHING is down noticeably over just a few years ago.
[/quote]
That's ratings in general, primetime as well. Idol, the #1 show of 06-07 (and seasons prior), finished with a 17.5 rating, where, 20-25 years ago, that probably wouldn't even make the Top 10.

A lot of it's prolly due to cable and DVR becoming popular.

Oh, and scrabbleship, two game shows with bad numbers don't spell out doom. It does, however, prove that Americans won't just watch any game show, if there's not a lot of game or excitement. And even though I watch both shows, to say they're exciting would be a lie.

I'm more disappointed that Temptation is not taking off. So much potential there.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'164274\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 12:34 PM\']
[/quote]
Well, then, I don't feel so bad anymore about the killing of game show legends then.

/2nd asinine statement this week.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2007, 12:11:21 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'164285\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 01:17 PM\']
I'm more disappointed that Temptation is not taking off. So much potential there.
[/quote]

With the way Temptation was put together I'm surprised the show even got the clearance.

It's actually gotten worse for me. I decided to put Password Plus back on my mid-afternoon TV watching schedule permanently (or at least until the format is retooled, which I doubt will happen).

I do like Crosswords, but if it's only pulling in a 0.8 rating, that probably isn't a sign that we'll see new episodes past January.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

bellbm

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2007, 12:37:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'164336\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 11:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'164285\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 01:17 PM\']
[/quote]

With the way Temptation was put together I'm surprised the show even got the clearance.

It's actually gotten worse for me. I decided to put Password Plus back on my mid-afternoon TV watching schedule permanently (or at least until the format is retooled, which I doubt will happen).

I do like Crosswords, but if it's only pulling in a 0.8 rating, that probably isn't a sign that we'll see new episodes past January.
[/quote]

What type of ratings did daytime game shows get, say 20 or 30 years ago?
I was watching youtube clips of Sale of The Century.  I'd forgotten what a great show that was.  

My big beef with Temptation is the fact that they have to call the money "temptation dollars".  If the host didn't say that constantly, they might actually be able to get more game play in.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'164356\' date=\'Sep 20 2007, 12:37 PM\']What type of ratings did daytime game shows get, say 20 or 30 years ago?[/quote]
Any new series today would love to get the ratings of even the most marginal show of 20 to 30 years ago.  Throughout all of television, ratings today are much smaller than ratings back then.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2007, 01:23:46 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'164356\' date=\'Sep 20 2007, 12:37 PM\']
What type of ratings did daytime game shows get, say 20 or 30 years ago?
I was watching youtube clips of Sale of The Century.  I'd forgotten what a great show that was.  
[/quote]
This thread mentions daytime ratings from 1988, and apparently $ale got about a 6, which was considered bad. Today, Price probably gets about a 3, and is the second-highest rated show in daytime, behind Young and the Restless.

Another one I remember from that same time period. In a late-80s World Almanac, they posted the syndication ratings, and Feud scored about a 6 rating, but barely rounded out the Top 20 or 25 list. Nowadays, your number one show (Wheel) gets a 6 or 7.

Michi-Matt also mentions something I was looking for the other night...The highest-rated primetime show of 2002 was CSI, and scored about a 16 rating. But 20 years ago, you'd barely crack the Top 30 with that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2007, 05:58:09 PM »
Ah, the magic of cable.

I'm predicting minor gains for both shows since I still think part of the problem is lack of visibility.  Still, if either gets to 2, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'164394\' date=\'Sep 20 2007, 05:58 PM\']
Ah, the magic of cable.

I'm predicting minor gains for both shows since I still think part of the problem is lack of visibility.  Still, if either gets to 2, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]
At this point, getting a 1 would damn near be a miracle, esp. since that's double Temptation's audience. However, it's more feasible to expect Crosswords to do so.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 06:01:46 PM by fostergray82 »

uncamark

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »
One can hope that "Crosswords" will try to fix things if they're doing continuous production (and if Edd Hall's doing contestant plugs, they must be).

If "Temptation" is wrapping *all 170* episodes for the season next week, they're stuck.

At this point, the only thing Fremantle and 20th can hope for is great shopping revenues--after all, Bud Paxson used to boast that the great thing about the Home Shopping Network was that he could make a ton of money without having to worry about getting good ratings.  Perhaps that's their hope here.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
I have an acquaintance in another social internet setting who just taped an episode last Tuesday, so taping is still in progress.
@lambertman

tvwxman

« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2007, 02:09:29 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'164468\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 12:32 PM\']
I have an acquaintance in another social internet setting who just taped an episode last Tuesday, so taping is still in progress.
[/quote]
There's ANOTHER social internet setting? Besides this one? Wha?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2007, 03:53:58 PM »
Interesting TV Week article...it mentions how to make a 1.0 show a success. It also draws attention to Temptation's home shopping format and Crosswords's low-budget.

/Of course, both shows have yet to even reach a 1.0...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 03:54:09 PM by fostergray82 »