Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Kid Nation"  (Read 4634 times)

tvwxman

"Kid Nation"
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »
Don't bet on it. But remember kids : Programming 101 Lesson Here....

Networks don't care what you have to say. They do care what advertisers have to say.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/adve...cbs-kid-nation/
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tpirfan28

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:47:05 PM »
Let's all remember a past incident for a second....

Don Imus was suspended from CBS radio, with the intent of coming back.  Advertisers pulled out after that, and he was fired.

Don't be surprised it Power of 10 winds up back in that spot come the 26th.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Patrick S

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »
Don't bet on it. But remember kids : Programming 101 Lesson Here....Networks don't care what you have to say. They do care what advertisers have to say.

Let's do some logic 101:

Advertisers have influence on networks
Consumers have influence on advertisers
Therefore, consumers have influence on networks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Kid Nation"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:18:14 PM »
Oh, I can't wait to see the, what, ten, fifteen year television veteran smack down the Junior Logician.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163576\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 09:02 PM\']
Don't bet on it. But remember kids : Programming 101 Lesson Here....Networks don't care what you have to say. They do care what advertisers have to say.

Let's do some logic 101:

Advertisers have influence on networks
Consumers have influence on advertisers
Therefore, consumers have influence on networks
[/quote]

Switch.

tvwxman

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'163604\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 11:18 PM\']
Oh, I can't wait to see the, what, ten, fifteen year television veteran smack down the Junior Logician.
[/quote]
Tempting, it is, but I'm going to take the high road (Normally I need mapquest to find the high road)....based on this :

[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163595\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 10:56 PM\']
Matt, and everyone, let me apologize.  I won't try to make excuses for my sour attitude.  That's just the mood I was in at the time.  I was rude and conceited.  As a law student I have strong opinions about everything and I don't like being out-argued by someone else; however for the same reason I should know when to stop before I make a fool of myself (something I'm obviously still learning).  Anyway, geez, that's a lot of talk just to say I'm sorry.  I hope none of you will hold a grudge against me for this.
[/quote]

I honestly believe he just had a bad day, and was doing a lot of sniping. We've all been there.

But the original point stands.
-------------

Matt

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Kid Nation"
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 07:52:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'163693\' date=\'Sep 13 2007, 01:47 PM\']
Switch.
[/quote]
FTW.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'163508\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 01:41 PM\']Networks don't care what you have to say. They do care what advertisers have to say.
[/quote]
I agree with Matt's original comment, "Don't bet on it."  The gleefully nasty story is a glorified blog entry by someone who's already taken a position and is fitting the evidence to that POV.  I don't see this as some mass advertiser boycott, I see this for what it is:  A survey indicating some big advertisers don't plan to buy time on Kid Nation.  I imagine those same big advertisers don't buy time on lots of CBS shows, they're just not surveyed about their interest in Ghost Whisperer.  

I read many mainstream entertainment news sources, several of which have already run stories on the Kid Nation controversies, and none have said anything about a major concerted effort to boycott the show.  CBS appears to be wallowing in the negative attention; they certainly haven't toned down the frequency of the promos.  Ultimately, what we see on the air can't possibly be as bad as the stories we've heard (thanks to judicious editing), and can't possibly be as captivating as CBS wants us to think.  My bet is we're looking at a big ho-hum when this thing finally hits our screens.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'163739\' date=\'Sep 13 2007, 07:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'163508\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 01:41 PM\']Networks don't care what you have to say. They do care what advertisers have to say.
[/quote]
I agree with Matt's original comment, "Don't bet on it."  The gleefully nasty story is a glorified blog entry by someone who's already taken a position and is fitting the evidence to that POV.  I don't see this as some mass advertiser boycott, I see this for what it is:  A survey indicating some big advertisers don't plan to buy time on Kid Nation.  I imagine those same big advertisers don't buy time on lots of CBS shows, they're just not surveyed about their interest in Ghost Whisperer.  [/quote]

Nikki Finke is the bad girl of entertainment industry reporters, who has filed suits against the NY Post and Disney at some point before her current LA Weekly gig and her blog.  She seems to be a solid reporter (although there are those who'll argue you on that), but she has her grudges that she continually bears.  Moonves seems to be one of them, although I don't know why other than the fact that he brought CBS back from the dead or the fact that his wife owes her employment to him.  Although it's always good to have a entertainment reporter who doesn't regurgitate the press agents, she can and does go overboard all the time.

Clay Zambo

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'163726\' date=\'Sep 13 2007, 07:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'163693\' date=\'Sep 13 2007, 01:47 PM\']
Switch.
[/quote]
FTW.
[/quote]

QFT.

(Couldn't resist.)  Beautiful.
czambo@mac.com

tpirfan28

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »
Here's Kid Nation's ratings....looks good enough to get another eppy:

Next up was CBS (households: 5.9/10, #1; adults 18-49: 2.6, #3) with the launch of "Kid Nation" (households: 5.8/10, #4, half-hour: 9.84%; adults 18-49: 3.0, #4, half-hour: 15.63%)

from thefutoncritic.com
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TimK2003

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 04:53:06 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'164481\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 01:52 PM\']
Here's Kid Nation's ratings....looks good enough to get another eppy:

Next up was CBS (households: 5.9/10, #1; adults 18-49: 2.6, #3) with the launch of "Kid Nation" (households: 5.8/10, #4, half-hour: 9.84%; adults 18-49: 3.0, #4, half-hour: 15.63%)

from thefutoncritic.com
[/quote]

Not only another episode, but CBS will be rerunning the premiere this Saturday Night @ 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 04:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'164481\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 01:52 PM\']
Here's Kid Nation's ratings....looks good enough to get another eppy:[/quote]
A huge tune-in for the first episode can be attributed to the controversy and CBS' incessant promos.  Let's see whether it has legs before deeming it a success out of the gate.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 05:08:59 PM »
Calling 5.9/10 a "huge" tune-in's a bit much.  In fact, it's downright mediocre.  And that's with all the pre-debut buzz and everything.

tvwxman

"Kid Nation"
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 06:46:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'164507\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 05:08 PM\']
Calling 5.9/10 a "huge" tune-in's a bit much.  In fact, it's downright mediocre.  And that's with all the pre-debut buzz and everything.
[/quote]
Right, and now that the interested parties have seen it, I'm more curious about ep2's erosion factor. That will ultimately determine whether CBS has a hit or an egg on it's hands.
-------------

Matt