Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The thing I really like about Drew Carey  (Read 8842 times)

Patrick S

The thing I really like about Drew Carey
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:44 PM »
I haven't seen this really discussed before here.  Regardless of how you may feel about Drew, I think you have to agree that he actually gets into the game.  He makes observations not typical of the cookie cutter host.  He'll remember if one of the head-to-head contestants was really close on his or her guesses.  He'll point out if the contestant was spot on (with the answer nearly right in the middle of the chosen spread).  This is so extremely refreshing after living through the Richard Karns and Roger Lodges of the genre.  This is what makes me think he'll be really good on TPiR.  Bob made the show work because of his "historic moments", and I can picture Drew making the same kind of comments.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163580\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 10:15 PM\']
I haven't seen this really discussed before here.  Regardless of how you may feel about Drew, I think you have to agree that he actually gets into the game.  He makes observations not typical of the cookie cutter host.  He'll remember if one of the head-to-head contestants was really close on his or her guesses.  He'll point out if the contestant was spot on (with the answer nearly right in the middle of the chosen spread).  This is so extremely refreshing after living through the Richard Karns and Roger Lodges of the genre.  This is what makes me think he'll be really good on TPiR.  Bob made the show work because of his "historic moments", and I can picture Drew making the same kind of comments.
[/quote]
The difference between Drew and the pretty-boy hosts of the new syndicated games is striking.  In fact, I'd even go further and say that in retrospect, raiding the ranks of stand-up comics with TV experience for host assignments has worked a lot more often than it hasn't.  And watching Rossi and Ty more than once has convinced me that Ryan Seacrest really, truly is the only person his age who can do this sort of thing anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Patrick S

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:38:35 PM »
Heh; I pretty much agree with what you have to say except for Ryan Seacrest.  Unfortunately I have a tough time complimenting that ego maniac.  We all know Howie Mandel is the reason DoND became a success, and now that I think about it he really gets into the game as well.  Personally I'm beginning to grow tired of Bob Saget; it seems he sometimes still tries too hard convince people he's not the respectful Danny Tanner he portrayed.  I don't care if he wants to be a foul comedian, but it's totally off-putting the way he flaunts it like he's trying to prove something.  That doesn't come across a lot of 1 vs 100, but it does every now and then.  He also seems to be more concerned with going through the motions than trying to make it seem like he's having fun.  However, Penn Jilette was surprisingly good to me.  I would like to see him come back, with a game that actually has some kind of substance to it.  Production problems killed Identity.  And Jeff Foxworthy is fantastic (another example of a guy who genuinely enjoys the game), but unfortunately I can't bring myself to watch it anymore because of the horrible way Fox teases the show and makes it way too predictable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:45:44 PM by Patrick S »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163586\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 09:38 PM\']
Heh; I pretty much agree with what you have to say except for Ryan Seacrest.  Unfortunately I have a tough time complimenting that ego maniac.  We all know Howie Mandel is the reason DoND became a success, and now that I think about it he really gets into the game as well.  Personally I'm beginning to grow tired of Bob Saget; it seems he sometimes still tries to convince people he's not the respectful Danny Tanner he portrayed.  He also seems to be more concerned with going through the motions than trying to make it seem like he's having fun.  However, Penn Jilette was surprisingly good to me.  I would like to see him come back, with a game that actually has some kind of substance to it.  Production problems killed Identity.  And Jeff Foxworthy is fantastic (another example of a guy who genuinely enjoys the game), but unfortunately I can't bring myself to watch it anymore because of the horrible way Fox teases the show and makes it way too predictable.
[/quote]

I'll take a letter under ORIGINAL POST, please.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 10:51:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'163589\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 10:46 PM\']I'll take a letter under ORIGINAL POST, please.[/quote]
It's actually kinda fun to watch his original posts change before your eyes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Patrick S

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:59:31 PM »
I'm sorry.  Did I miss something?  What am I being maligned for here?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163598\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 09:59 PM\']
I'm sorry.  Did I miss something?  What am I being maligned for here?
[/quote]

You're not being maligned for anything.

We're just noticing that you went off on a bit of a tangent, voicing your opinion on just about every new network game show host in the last couple of years.

If you want to be maligned, trust me when I say I'm sure there's quite a few people around here who could do it very well.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Patrick S

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 11:09:38 PM »
Alright; maybe "maligned" was a bit too strong of a word.  I wasn't voicing my opinion on "every network game show host"; I was voicing my opinion on the recent surge of comedians-turned-game-show-hosts, which was brought up by Matt.  Matt took the point of Drew Carey being a good host to expand it to comedians being good hosts, and I just continued his line of thinking.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:27:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163586\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 07:38 PM\']
We all know Howie Mandel is the reason DoND became a success,
[/quote]
We do?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Patrick S

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 11:28:39 PM »
It's certainly not the exceptional format of the game...

JakeT

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 11:28:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163586\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 09:38 PM\']
 Personally I'm beginning to grow tired of Bob Saget; it seems he sometimes still tries too hard convince people he's not the respectful Danny Tanner he portrayed. [/quote]

Well, personally, I find Bob Saget's nasty foul sick twisted stand-up act beyond hilarious!  Just this morning, I watched Bob's latest HBO comedy special and I laughed my ass off for the entire hour, literally laughing until my sides ached.  Kudos to Saget for doing whatever he feels necessary to escape the shadow of his sickly-sweet TGiF sitcom character that likely continues to drag down his career to this day.

Jake

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:36:21 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'163607\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 11:28 PM\']
Well, personally, I find Bob Saget's nasty foul sick twisted stand-up act beyond hilarious!  
[/quote]
Somehow, his thirty second cameo in Half Baked managed to erase the eight years he spent on that sitcom. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Patrick S

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 11:40:40 PM »
Yeah, man, come on.  Anyone who cares knows what Bob Saget's comedy really is.  Anyone who doesn't care really doesn't care what he does.  It's kind of like Ryan Stiles on Whose Line always (like, every episode) making some reference to the ring on his finger because he obviously wanted people to know he was heterosexual.  It's like, enough already, we get it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 11:46:41 PM »
I'm interested in seeing that special mainly because I'm interested in seeing if he's still filthy and funny, or if he's trying to be filthy to BE funny.

Did you just accuse Ryan Stiles of being a homophobe?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 01:07:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'163606\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 10:28 PM\']
It's certainly not the exceptional format of the game...
[/quote]

Wow.  Not to take away anything from Howie -- but if Howie's so great why did his talk show fail?  Any logic there, sir?