Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who's No. 2?  (Read 5743 times)

HYHYBT

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
Not to mention, having a 3rd creation on the air at the same time is an achievement not seen since....how long ago???
At least as recently as 2002 or so: TPIR, Feud, TTTT.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

TimK2003

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'163997\' date=\'Sep 16 2007, 03:49 PM\']
Many of Stone-Stanley's productions were Number Two.
[/quote]

Agreed, but they aren't the bottom of the barrel either (The Winning Numbers Wonderwall kept them out of the cellar).  

My nomination for the worst of the bunch is anything that Sony produced on their own -- namely Pyramid and Playmania!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Who's No. 2?
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164041\' date=\'Sep 17 2007, 07:26 AM\']
Agreed, but they aren't the bottom of the barrel either (The Winning Numbers Wonderwall kept them out of the cellar).  
[/quote]
Lines. Winning Lines.

(Proof positive that the sun even shines on a dog's ass occasionally. Although the rest of the show was really REALLY no great shakes.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 12:01:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'164045\' date=\'Sep 17 2007, 11:33 AM\']
Lines. Winning Lines.

(Proof positive that the sun even shines on a dog's ass occasionally. Although the rest of the show was really REALLY no great shakes.)
[/quote]
And it wasn't even their format -- they bought it from the Brits (Celador).
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Neumms

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 02:47:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'164045\' date=\'Sep 17 2007, 10:33 AM\']
Lines. Winning Lines.

[/quote]

No great shakes, but not terrible. It was at least intense.

If you could combine the Wonderwall with the main game of Jay Wolpert's "Pandemonium" pilot (at least how it sounds), you'd have something great.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:47:34 PM by Neumms »

Jackpotman800

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 03:55:52 PM »
Here are the ones tied for number two (IMHO)...

Merv Griffin - for he created & produced the two best game shows of all time which are still on the air today.

Barry-Enright - but only because he made the greatest come back in game show producing & hosting history by bringing back Tic Tac Dough & creating The Joker's Wild.

Ian Wallis

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »
I'm not going to make an effort to police this thread, I'm just going to mention that we've already started going all over the place with what question we're actually answering. I thought the original question was about production company success. If we're talking production quality, creativity and cleverness of ideas, or individual accomplishment regardless of which company you're working for, there's probably a different answer for every one of those.

Kind of meant who's production company was the most successful, but the way I worded it could be open for interpretation.

Firstly, are we restricting this to American television, or are we considering worldwide television and radio broadcasting?

That's very good - something I love about these discussions is that someone always puts in something you didn't think of!  Originally I was thinking about the US, but international should probalby be considered too.

I'd probably rank Heatter-Quigley No. 2, mainly because of the popularity of Hollywood Squares and its international versions, and the fact they created so many others; and probably Barry-Enright No. 3.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 12:48:26 PM »
As I said the other day, there's really no one after Goodson-Todman who was able to come up with a long series of shows that were successful over several decades and have become part of the common TV culture.  Merv and Chuck Barris have come the closest, but each only came up with two shows that meet the criteria (you know Merv's, Barris would "Dating" and "Newlywed"--"Gong" was more a shooting star than an enduring part of the culture).

I would perhaps add Al Howard as the actual creator of "Sale of the Century" (and "Supermarket Sweep"), but "Sale" is really more a favorite of ours that had a very good run than it is part of our common TV culture (while "Supermarket Sweep" makes it simply on the visuals of the guy with the shopping cart running through supermarkets--something not easily forgotten once seen).

I may get pilloried for saying this, but whether or not we like their formats, Endemol has a presence overseas rivalling G-T purely on volume (including non-game show formats, of course).  Whether this will continue is hard to say (not to mention whether "DOND" will have the staying power of the older formats), but right now they seem to have the hot hand.  Whether their overseas success can overcome two of their formats tanking in the U.S. and a third one getting Third World status at its own U.S. network ("1v100"), we shall see.

Jay Temple

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 06:40:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'164162\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 11:48 AM\']
As I said the other day, there's really no one after Goodson-Todman who was able to come up with a long series of shows that were successful over several decades and have become part of the common TV culture.  Merv and Chuck Barris have come the closest, but each only came up with two shows that meet the criteria (you know Merv's, Barris would "Dating" and "Newlywed"--"Gong" was more a shooting star than an enduring part of the culture).

I may get pilloried for saying this, but whether or not we like their formats, Endemol has a presence overseas rivalling G-T purely on volume (including non-game show formats, of course).  Whether this will continue is hard to say (not to mention whether "DOND" will have the staying power of the older formats), but right now they seem to have the hot hand.  Whether their overseas success can overcome two of their formats tanking in the U.S. and a third one getting Third World status at its own U.S. network ("1v100"), we shall see.
[/quote]
I find myself reluctantly agreeing about Endemol. However, I'd upgrade The Gong Show. It's enough a part of the culture that my wife understood me when I said that the judges at the American Idol auditions should be given gongs.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

DrBear

Who's No. 2?
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'164219\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 05:40 PM\']
I find myself reluctantly agreeing about Endemol. However, I'd upgrade The Gong Show. It's enough a part of the culture that my wife understood me when I said that the judges at the American Idol auditions should be given gongs. [/quote]
True enough, but then again the Gong Show was a follow up on an even older show, Major Bowes' Amateur Hour. He had the first gong. So it was in the culture long enough to get passed down to Chuckie Baby.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.