Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canada: Céline Dion hosts French Deal or No Deal  (Read 4069 times)

Blaq

Canada: Céline Dion hosts French Deal or No Deal
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:50:22 PM »
As I reported earlier, this week's episode of Le Banquier, Québec's version of Deal or No Deal, will be hosted not by Julie Snyder, but by Céline Dion -- with Dion's husband and manager René Angelil as the banquer. The Very Special episode will air on TVA this Sunday Sep. 23 at 7:00. (The 90-minute show is rumoured to run long, so set your DVRs to record past 8:30.)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

• The stunt was done to celebrate Julie's 40th birthday. (Céline is a longtime friend of hers.)
  • The top row of models will be replaced by celebrity friends of Julie's, including former Canadian prime minister Brian Mulroney.
  • Even Howie Mandel will make a brief appearance (on the video screen, I guess).
  • Just wait 'til you see Céline bicker with her husband as he makes lowball offers!
[/size]

davemackey

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 06:53:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' post=\'164391\' date=\'Sep 20 2007, 05:50 PM\']
As I reported earlier, this week's episode of Le Banquier, Québec's version of Deal or No Deal, will be hosted not by Julie Snyder, but by Céline Dion -- with Dion's husband and manager René Angelil as the banquer. [/quote]
Dion is a big fan of DOND - she appeared on a episode of the US version of the show - so I can imagine her having all sorts of fun with this.

Didn't Howie host the first week or so of the Canadian DOND?

Brig Bother

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:27:36 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'164439\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 11:53 AM\']

Didn't Howie host the first week or so of the Canadian DOND?
[/quote]

Howie did the English speaking version of the show, but has nothing to do with the Quebecoise French speaking one as far as I can tell.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' post=\'164391\' date=\'Sep 20 2007, 04:50 PM\']
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
  • The top row of models will be replaced by celebrity friends of Julie's, including former Canadian prime minister Brian Mulroney.[/quote]

And don't all of you "How I Met Your Mother" fans out there want to start singing Robin Sparkles' big hit "Let's Go to the Mall" when you see that name?

ObGameShow: "HIM"'s Barney was a contestant on "TPIR."
    /with Barker
    /He suited up

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'164439\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 03:53 AM\']
Dion is a big fan of DOND - she appeared on a episode of the US version of the show - so I can imagine her having all sorts of fun with this.[/quote]
Quite possibly the most annoying episode of the show EVAR. Good ol' Celene Headroom.

Those of you who are fans, hey, go nuts. Me, I'm glad I don't get TVA, so I don't have to give my Tivo a Serious Talking-To... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mcsittel

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'164456\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 10:41 AM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'164439\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 03:53 AM\']
Dion is a big fan of DOND - she appeared on a episode of the US version of the show - so I can imagine her having all sorts of fun with this.[/quote]
Quite possibly the most annoying episode of the show EVAR. Good ol' Celene Headroom.

Those of you who are fans, hey, go nuts. Me, I'm glad I don't get TVA, so I don't have to give my Tivo a Serious Talking-To... :)
[/quote]

I'd watch just to see Howie parle francais... assuming he does?  

For our friends up north, are all Canadian schoolkids required to take French at some point?

/ They never talked about it on Degrassi Junior High...
// Did they ever have poutine on the lunch menu?

saussage

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 06:00:52 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'164541\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 11:02 PM\']
I'd watch just to see Howie parle francais... assuming he does?  
[/quote]
Have no idea. Never seen Howie in any type of show whether hosted or only as a guest other than english.
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'164541\' date=\'Sep 21 2007, 11:02 PM\']
For our friends up north, are all Canadian schoolkids required to take French at some point?

/ They never talked about it on Degrassi Junior High...
// Did they ever have poutine on the lunch menu?
[/quote]
Since I'm from Ontario, english and french are the 2 main languages with english being the stronger of the two Ontario-wide (some exceptions do apply with pockets of french in the northern sections). French schools are required provide an english class whereas english schools are provided to provide a french class.

For english-speaking schools, the french class is required throughout every grade in elementary school up until the first year of high school. After the first year of high school, I believe it then becomes optional. And yeah, poutine is available on the menu. Just remember not to choke on the cheese :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:52:06 PM »
I taped it last night and watched it this eve.  It wasn't half bad actually.  Howie did speak french for the first little bit on his message, and then went into english (and they subtitled the last half).

To echo what Mr. Saussage said, yes, students do have to take french in some capacity up to and including grade nine.  And I say this in full confidence because I am

Ryan :)
a grade nine core french teacher

/and dammit, I teach theatre arts and accounting too
//it's all good, we played Family Feud in french class today, using vocabulary words
///qu'est-ce que le sondage dit?