Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Temptation Cancellation (that I know of)  (Read 5455 times)

sotcfan2004

First Temptation Cancellation (that I know of)
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:08:16 PM »
Portland, OR's KPDX 49, the local MyNetworkTV, has ceased airing Temptation weekdays at 9am in favor of such quality infomercials as "Build Your Wealth"  and "The Ab-Lounger".  I first noticed this via DirecTV on-screen listings and subsequently confirmed it with Barbara Levey, the station's programming manager.  Reason given:  piss-poor ratings.  The timeslot previously held back-to-back eps of Cheaters, so who knows what the future holds.

I had a feeling this would happen sooner or later, just wasn't banking on sooner.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:06:24 PM »
"Temptation" shot itself in the foot right off the bat by having most of its stations air the show on the very low-rated MyNetworkTV affiliates. They also didn't help themselves with the flawed game format.

weaklink75

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:14:04 PM »
I would have said after the November Sweeps- but still, that's a real itchy trigger finger....and Portland's a decent-sized market too..

tpirfan28

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' post=\'164711\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 09:08 PM\']
Portland, OR's KPDX 49, the local MyNetworkTV, has ceased airing Temptation weekdays at 9am in favor of such quality infomercials as "Build Your Wealth"  and "The Ab-Lounger".
[/quote]
Nice to know they are replacing it with similar programming. :)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Casey Buck

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:26:02 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' post=\'164711\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 06:08 PM\']
Portland, OR's KPDX 49, the local MyNetworkTV, has ceased airing Temptation weekdays at 9am in favor of such quality infomercials as "Build Your Wealth"  and "The Ab-Lounger".  I first noticed this via DirecTV on-screen listings and subsequently confirmed it with Barbara Levey, the station's programming manager.  Reason given:  piss-poor ratings.  The timeslot previously held back-to-back eps of Cheaters, so who knows what the future holds.

I had a feeling this would happen sooner or later, just wasn't banking on sooner.
[/quote]

Damn; I never even got to see a single episode. Wait a minute, I guess that's not a bad thing... :)

Interestingly, KPDX is one of only two MyNetworkTV affiliates to not use the "My" branding or logo; they call themselves "PDX 49".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:27:32 PM by Casey Buck »

sotcfan2004

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »
On a GS-related note, game show lovin' Portlanders will be happy to know that KOIN 6 (local CBS aff.) has reverted Family Feud to its original back-to-back time slot of 9am-10am from the insomniac slot of 2:07am.  Truth be told, if I had to choose between the Feud and Temptation, John O'Hurley would get my vote any day of the week.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' post=\'164718\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 09:37 PM\']
Truth be told, if I had to choose between the Feud and Temptation, John O'Hurley would get my vote any day of the week.
[/quote]

Oh, but to hear O'Hurley selling Rossi's Godiva chocolates and bathrobes. Or, "what if I gave you this crisp $100 bill?" in his best J. Peterman voice. That would have been good.

entguy1

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 10:13:30 AM »
[/quote]

Interestingly, KPDX is one of only two MyNetworkTV affiliates to not use the "My" branding or logo; they call themselves "PDX 49".
[/quote]

Is the other one OK43 in Oklahoma City? There was to be more stations that not wanting to associate themselves with the "MY."

catnap1972

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'164714\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 10:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' post=\'164711\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 09:08 PM\']
Portland, OR's KPDX 49, the local MyNetworkTV, has ceased airing Temptation weekdays at 9am in favor of such quality infomercials as "Build Your Wealth"  and "The Ab-Lounger".
[/quote]
Nice to know they are replacing it with similar programming. :)
[/quote]

It'd be interesting to see what kind of ratings those pull in (for comparison)

tvmitch

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
This is a bit shocking...and the worst part is that the early cancellations/time slot moves, if they happen, will be in the larger markets capable of analyzing overnight ratings.

But then again, this is the era when networks cancel primetime shows after one or two low-rated airings on a routine basis, so maybe it's not completely unexpected.

/Just deleted about 10 hours of Temptation off the DVR last night, sight unseen.
You should follow me on Twitter

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 11:26:55 AM »
So Don Howard....still have this wish?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 11:39:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'164740\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 08:26 AM\']
So Don Howard....still have this wish?
[/quote]
The difference is that the show that made it to air is far from the show that Sale was. Would I like to see Press Your Luck come back? Sure, I think it would be fun. Do I want to see Whammy! again? Christ no.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 11:43:19 AM »
I tried to stomach another ep of Temptation yesterday, and after watching Rossi do his best emotionless emotions yet, this is the anology I came up with:

Fremantle is the Clear Channel of Game Shows!!!

Game shows, like radio staions, in the 70's were fun, bright, upbeat and creative.  Each game show had it's own look and style.  And for many shows, just as many people tuned in to see the host/personality as they did for the gameplay.

And much like how Clear Channel bought up tons of these fun stations in the 90s, and turned them into homogenized, uncreative, repetitive stations void of personality, Fremantle acquired the Goodson/Todman and Grundy libraries and then butchered the formats in any new reincarnations.  

However, Clear Channel does leave morning drive alone at most stations so there is actually personality and creativity for 4 hours per day.  Fremantle's "Morning" show in syndication is O'Hurley's Feud, everything else they have tried to bring back on the air has been utter crap!

Sodboy13

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164745\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 10:43 AM\']
However, Clear Channel does leave morning drive alone at most stations so there is actually personality and creativity for 4 hours per day.  Fremantle's "Morning" show in syndication is O'Hurley's Feud, everything else they have tried to bring back on the air has been utter crap!
[/quote]

It is here your comparison dies.  Ever heard of "Wake Up With Whoopi"?  Or worse, have you ever heard "Wake Up With Whoopi"?  And furthermore, a couple months back, Cheap Channel fired the morning host of the #2 station in Chicago, who was a longtime runaway number 1 in his target demo.  Why?  So they could replace him cheaply with the syndicated Steve Harvey morning show.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164745\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 11:43 AM\']
Fremantle is the Clear Channel of Game Shows!!!

Game shows, like radio staions, in the 70's were fun, bright, upbeat and creative.  Each game show had it's own look and style.  And for many shows, just as many people tuned in to see the host/personality as they did for the gameplay.

And much like how Clear Channel bought up tons of these fun stations in the 90s, and turned them into homogenized, uncreative, repetitive stations void of personality, Fremantle acquired the Goodson/Todman and Grundy libraries and then butchered the formats in any new reincarnations.  
[/quote]
Honestly, based on your analogy, I'd put Endemol in that category. Everything about their shows looks the same...won't go into the reasons, we've discussed them ad nauseum.

However, Fremantle still doesn't GET IT. I have no problem with the show changing up the 80s format. But the execution is piss-poor, if not horrible. Changes made for no rhyme and reason. You can't rush the excitement on a show like "Temptation" and force someone out the door within five days, then just say "Kthxbye!" and offer them lots of love. And if you're not going to offer consolation prizes, don't rub it in the contestants face by saying "We have lots of love". That's a heaping load of condescending bullstink and whoever wrote that should be slapped.

I gave this show a chance, and I'll watch it when it's on, but I can't go out of my way when the producers won't go out of theirs to make this show work.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!