Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Temptation Cancellation (that I know of)  (Read 5454 times)

The Ol' Guy

First Temptation Cancellation (that I know of)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »
Since the Mays gang sold Clear Channel to a private equity firm, it's going to be loads of fun as the bean counters from hell lean on managers for profitability. The manager of the Grand Rapids group told a friend over lunch it was breaking his heart to have to let long-time good employees go because the stations were forced to meet tighter budget numbers. The gods must be smiling on him. His wife took a job position in California, and he managed to hook up with the west coast branch of another radio group. He was certain the axe was aimed at his neck, too. After all, what's good when you can get cheap? I'm guessing the new guys in charge will make it Cheaper Channel - if such a thing could be done.

Fremantle = Clear Channel. I kinda like that...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:41:38 PM by The Ol' Guy »

LA the DJ

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164745\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 11:43 AM\']
Fremantle is the Clear Channel of Game Shows!!!
[/quote]

How appropriate. I've long said that CC is sucking the soul out of local radio. FM appears to be doing the same thing to game shows. The only difference is that as CC implodes, FM continues to grow.

However, it's personal for me, CC deprived the poor people of Defiance, Ohio of the best DJ they ever had!

The two roads nearly crossed on so many levels, though. Just months before Jacor bought us out (and maybe one more month after CC bought them), the low power TV station we also ran (WDFM-TV) considered showing Pearson's MG98 (a year or so before they would become FM).

/Maybe I wasn't that good of a dj at 18.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 05:55:41 PM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'164740\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 11:26 AM\']
So Don Howard....still have this wish?
[/quote]
Sure do. Unfortunately, it has yet to come true. And that includes the Brooke Burke tent wish.

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 01:27:53 AM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'164790\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 05:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164745\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 11:43 AM\']
Fremantle is the Clear Channel of Game Shows!!!
[/quote]

How appropriate. I've long said that CC is sucking the soul out of local radio. FM appears to be doing the same thing to game shows. The only difference is that as CC implodes, FM continues to grow.

[/quote]

I would also like to add to the analogy mix:

Cedar Fair is the Clear Channel of Amusement Parks!!
(I spent the last 2 hours in various blogs lamenting the closing of the "Old" rides-based Geauga Lake Amusement Park in favor of the "New" Geauga Lake Waterpark.)

/Kennywood Rocks
//Except for the Exterminator (urp!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 03:39:21 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164823\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 10:27 PM\']
Cedar Fair is the Clear Channel of Amusement Parks!!
[/quote]
Except they run Cedar Point, arguably the best roller coaster park in the country.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

LA the DJ

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 04:19:06 AM »
Seeing as how I've worked at Cedar Point and for Clear Channel I feel so... dirty right now.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »
(I spent the last 2 hours in various blogs lamenting the closing of the "Old" rides-based Geauga Lake Amusement Park in favor of the "New" Geauga Lake Waterpark.)

Even if attendance has dipped for the last 10 years?
insert signature here

TimK2003

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 11:54:02 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'164831\' date=\'Sep 26 2007, 08:50 AM\']

Even if attendance has dipped for the last 10 years?
[/quote]

While true that attendance had dropped (a lot of it due to Sea World's demise), from what I understand it's the way they handled the situation.  When Six Flags owned the park, they grew it too big too fast and the Customer Service was way below standards.  When Cedar Fair/Point bought it they didn't do much to turn that image of bad service and high costs for everything around.  

Not to tell anyone in advance that you have one last time to ride the rides before they go away is not great PR -- even if it were only a month before the park closed for the season would have been somewhat respectful.  

Being a member of the American Coaster Enthusiats for many years, most of the larger amusement parks that have fallen by the wayside in the last decade have given past and present visitors advance notice of their last hurrah.  Even it was a business decision to cut overall costs, at least they were upfront about it and those who wanted to patronize could do so.

KWJCDon

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »
[/quote]
/Kennywood Rocks
[/quote]

You got that right!!

As a Pittsburgh native, I sure enjoy coming up for the summer and riding the Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit. Hated to hear about Geauga Lake, that was a cool place.

Oh well, so much for staying on topic.

Don