Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Advertising  (Read 2902 times)

TravisP

Game Show Advertising
« on: September 30, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
When a game show is currently airing or is set to hit the airwaves, do television companies aim to advertise their show but use mediums which doesn't involve advertising on television and in magazines. Reason I ask as I've discovered this on a billboard around the corner from my house.

http://www.geocities.com/tpenery/areyousmartera.jpg

Sky One usually use billboards to advertise their other programmes (Prison Break, Lost, 24 etc...) but it is very unusual to see a game/quiz show being advertised in this form in our country. I am wondering if that is the case over there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 02:46:43 PM by TravisP »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game Show Advertising
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »
I've seen a billboard for Crosswords in the New York area, but I think that's the only one I've seen.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:10:37 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

wheelloon

Game Show Advertising
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »
This is not an uncommon practice at all.

In my area, for example, there are MULTIPLE billboards for each of Wheel, J!, WWTBAM, and Family Feud by themselves. Usually, they show the host/hostess with a backdrop of the show's logo or the set.
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

BrandonFG

Game Show Advertising
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »
When 21 premiered in 2000, one of the local radio stations aired ads. Come to think of it, I remember a few Hollywood Squares ads during the Whoopi era.

Also, when I stayed in New York in summer 2003, I remember train print ads for Wheel, Jeopardy on WLNY TV-55, as well as a GSN ad for Chuck Woolery: Naturally Stoned.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

DrBear

Game Show Advertising
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:50:47 PM »
It all depends on who's pushing what. Around here, when J! and WOF switched stations, the new outlet had plenty of boards up. This year, not so much.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Craig Karlberg

Game Show Advertising
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 04:23:23 AM »
When I was a kid back in the early to mid-70's, I once saw a lit-up sign with the Price Is Right logo on it.  It was neat to see that riding around the area.  My first thought was that Zitman Furs was a big marketer of fur coats around here, hence the sign.  Those were the days when fur coats were the norm on game shows before Barker became an animal rights advocate & the fur ban ever since.  Other than that, I haven't spotted any billboards of the sort.