Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Powerpoint Gameshows  (Read 8630 times)

plinkoplus

Powerpoint Gameshows
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:41:06 AM »
Hello folks,

I need some help.

I am trying to create my own game show powerpoint games.

I plan on creating games like Catch Phrase, as well as my original ideas.

My question is, how can I randomize the board with the sound still playing continuously, until a button is hit.

I am just curious if anybody had done Press Your Luck on powerpoint, and I would like to know how they did it if they did.  Same notion.

If anybody wants me to explain more thoroughly, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
Not going to happen unless you're willing to learn some VBA scripting (and even then it's tricky).  Straight powerpoint doesn't really accomodate that.  Frankly, unless you're that incredibly attached to PowerPoint, you might be better off choosing another environment.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

plinkoplus

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
Ok thanks, I appreciate it.

So, would anyone be able to recommend a program from which I could do this.  

Basically, I am trying to find one of the easier programs that is user friendly, one that allows me to add sounds and alter graphics for the game.

If anybody knows an environment like this, I appreciate it.

Again thanks, for the help.

Take care.

Yours Truly,
Chris

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
Adobe Flash. Which I suspect doesn't meet your requirements for simplicity, but I'm also fairly sure a program that does meet your requirements doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 02:01:22 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 02:01:34 PM »
Just about the only thing I've found Powerpoint useful for was for making a eggcrate-style countdown clock for a version of Password I did in college. It actually looked pretty slick. But beyond something simple like that, you're asking Powerpoint to do something it's not even remotely made to do.
You should follow me on Twitter

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'165836\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 01:01 PM\'] Just about the only thing I've found Powerpoint useful for was for making a eggcrate-style countdown clock for a version of Password I did in college. It actually looked pretty slick. But beyond something simple like that, you're asking Powerpoint to do something it's not even remotely made to do. [/quote]
Not entirely, entirely true.   You can use form controls to run a rudimentary scoreboard system (I do that when I do PowerPoint Jeopardy once a year -- right before I give my students an assignment to build a PowerPoint Joepardy)  Also, there's a third-party application to let you approximate the mail merge -- this makes queston-writing a bit easier, since you can separate form and content a bit.

I suspect writing Family Feud controls in PowerPoint would actually be viable with those two tools -- though it probably wouldn't be as nifty as what Particleman did back in the day.

Really, though, yeah, he's best off using a more robust scriping language.  And right now, Flash is probably his best bet.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

WhammyPower

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'165838\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 01:35 PM\']I suspect writing Family Feud controls in PowerPoint would actually be viable with those two tools -- though it probably wouldn't be as nifty as what Particleman did back in the day. [/quote]
I actually have a working Family Feud Powerpoint that mimics the Australian version (no scoreboards, though, just the survey board, and no fast money board, although I could make one).  Unfortunately, it's in the sucky 2007 format, and since the converter to the older format sucks, you're SOL unless you have the 2007 version.

But if you do have '07, fire me an email, and I'll send it to you.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 04:36:17 PM by WhammyPower »

tpirfan28

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165835\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 02:00 PM\']
Adobe Flash. Which I suspect doesn't meet your requirements for simplicity, but I'm also fairly sure a program that does meet your requirements doesn't exist.
[/quote]
Having sucessfully build Jeopardy (complete with a scoring system AND crude lockout), it's very good.  Currently I'm working on Temptation...complete with Knock-Off, both Fame Games, and Instant Cash/Vault (no IB's since it's just for a home game with no "winnnings").  It's kinda difficult, but if you use the good tutorials online it's not a problem.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165848\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 04:44 PM\']
([N]o IB's since it's just for a home game with no "winnnings").  
[/quote]
Just lots of love.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'165853\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 07:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165848\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 04:44 PM\']
([N]o IB's since it's just for a home game with no "winnnings").  
[/quote]
Just lots of love.
[/quote]
Maybe he can add this as a consolation prize.

J.R.

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'165860\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 07:04 PM\']
Maybe he can add this as a consolation prize.
[/quote]

I lol'd. Hard. :-)
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 03:44:03 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165848\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 01:44 PM\']
It's kinda difficult, but if you use the good tutorials online it's not a problem.
[/quote]
Could you point me in the direction of said good tutorials? I've been wanting to learn Flash myself, and I need something that assumes I'm a moron and goes from there.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Particleman

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 08:28:16 AM »
plinkoplus and anyone else interested in learning Flash, send me an e-mail and I can recommend a few good books.  I'll also be glad to give you advice on best practices for arranging you projects.

My advice for anyone planning on developing their own software is to limit your expectations of what you'll be able to achieve at the beginning.  It takes time, dedication, and patience to produce anything near remarkable.  Start out with small projects like countdown timers, score keepers, things like that.  Do the large projects later!  Okay, 'nuff said.

tpirfan28

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 08:51:15 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165886\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:44 AM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165848\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 01:44 PM\']
It's kinda difficult, but if you use the good tutorials online it's not a problem.
[/quote]
Could you point me in the direction of said good tutorials? I've been wanting to learn Flash myself, and I need something that assumes I'm a moron and goes from there.
[/quote]
I've always used Tutorialized or a search engine.  I had to adapt a lot of stuff to make it work (trust me, there isn't a one-stop "create a buzzer system" tutorial).

A book is also helpful.  Unfortunately I learned everything I know from adapting tutorials and about one basic Flash class in high school.  I'm also more than willing to help if you've got any questions.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

mmb5

Powerpoint Gameshows
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
I just got a Flash project dumped on me at work the other day.  Having no knowledge of Flash prior to this, I can safely say that this has a horrible learning curve, basically because the user interface for the language tries to treat everything as a super-duper PowerPoint presentation ("movie" in their terms), and not a program.  Is Flash one of those things that was meant to do one thing (show simple animations), and now is entirely meant to do something else (be an in-browser replacement)?

--Mike
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:46:13 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.