Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew/TPIR feature in USA TODAY  (Read 9347 times)

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Drew/TPIR feature in USA TODAY
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' post=\'166153\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 02:07 PM\']
While not a performer specifically, there is a stage at KTLA in named for longtime newscaster Larry McCormick.
[/quote]

They've also renamed their newsroom as the "Hal Fishman Newsroom" in the Summer of 2000, in honor of the KTLA's News at Ten newscaster Hal Fishman for serving forty years.  He passed on this past July due to colon cancer.  (Hal's feature in KTLA-5 CW's Celebrating 60 Years web site.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:32:02 PM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »
If RCA executives were like benevolent civic leaders, studio 1 in Burbank would have been named The Johnny Carson Studio long ago. I suppose 8H would be The Arturo Toscanini Studio. In New York we do have The Ed Sullivan Theater.

While not a performer specifically, there is a stage at KTLA in named for longtime newscaster Larry McCormick.
Weren't they going to name the newsroom after Stan Chambers until Hal Fishman threw a hissy fit and they wound up naming the newsroom after him?

And leave us not forget Lucy's El Adobe with its "Artists' Entrance" ;-)

What was the deal with the Chuck Barris stages? Flight of fancy on Chuck's part?

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'166156\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 02:34 PM\']
What was the deal with the Chuck Barris stages? Flight of fancy on Chuck's part?
[/quote]
His shows (late-70s/early-80s) were taped at...Metromedia? Hollywood Center? An L.A. TV studio? I always thought it was a goofy novelty, completely of the Chuckie variety.

/Damn you, GSN and your scrunched credits!!!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

bricon

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2007, 06:29:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'166180\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 05:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'166156\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 02:34 PM\']
[/quote]
His shows (late-70s/early-80s) were taped at...Metromedia? Hollywood Center? An L.A. TV studio? I always thought it was a goofy novelty, completely of the Chuckie variety.
[/quote]

Dating Game and Newlywed Game started out at KTLA in the late '70's, $1.98 Beauty Show was at NBC.  The "Chuck Barris Stages" were at Television Center Studios, now known as Ren-Mar Studios.  One would assume he had a dedicated lease on a stage there and ran with the name.  

I know that Dating Game, Three's A Crowd and Gong Show taped at Television Center Studios at one point.  

There is some neat history to the Ren-Mar lot - it was the Desilu-Cahuenga lot, home to the original "Dick Van Dyke Show", and the second home to "I Love Lucy".  More on the studio can be found here.

clarkh

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2007, 06:49:02 PM »
[quote name='chris319' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:34 PM' post='166156']
If RCA executives were like benevolent civic leaders, studio 1 in Burbank would have been named The Johnny Carson Studio long ago. I suppose 8H would be The Arturo Toscanini Studio. In New York we do have The Ed Sullivan Theater.

I remember reading that NBC Burbank 1 was already named The Bob Hope Theater.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
I remember reading that NBC Burbank 1 was already named The Bob Hope Theater.
Now that you remind me, I've heard stories about Hope having an ownership interest in it. Why RCA would need Bob Hope's money is an interesting question, and makes me wonder whether that saga is so much urban mythology.

Speaking of Bob Hope, they renamed Burbank airport after him posthumously. I think the idea indeed came from benevolent civic leaders and was not inspired by Hope's own vanity. The airport code remains BUR, though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:17:27 PM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'166188\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 04:17 PM\']
Now that you remind me, I've heard stories about Hope having an ownership interest in it. Why RCA would need Bob Hope's money is an interesting question, and makes me wonder whether that saga is so much urban mythology.[/quote] The story I was told is that when NBC had overgrown the Sunset/Vine facility and was looking for a site to build a new TV complex their uber-star Bob Hope sold them the land in Burbank. Hope owned lots of Valley real eatate, including much of the property in adjacent Toluca Lake. Studio 1 was built to specifications that included input from Hope, and featured some advanced acoustical designs for the 1950s. I've told that story to so many audiences in that studio that it has already been upgraded from urban myth to probable reality   ;-)

Speaking of Bob Hope, they renamed Burbank airport after him posthumously. I think the idea indeed came from benevolent civic leaders and was not inspired by Hope's own vanity. The airport code remains BUR, though.
And I'm convinced they need to have an impressionist record the PA announcements. "Hi, this is Bob Dont-park-in-the-white-zone Hope reminding you that passengers are allowed only one carry-on bag. Mine is Phyllis Diller!. But I wanna tell ya..."

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

uncamark

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'166234\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 10:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'166188\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 04:17 PM\']
Now that you remind me, I've heard stories about Hope having an ownership interest in it. Why RCA would need Bob Hope's money is an interesting question, and makes me wonder whether that saga is so much urban mythology.[/quote] The story I was told is that when NBC had overgrown the Sunset/Vine facility and was looking for a site to build a new TV complex their uber-star Bob Hope sold them the land in Burbank. Hope owned lots of Valley real eatate, including much of the property in adjacent Toluca Lake. Studio 1 was built to specifications that included input from Hope, and featured some advanced acoustical designs for the 1950s. I've told that story to so many audiences in that studio that it has already been upgraded from urban myth to probable reality   ;-)[/quote]

And Hope continued to tape his specials in Studio 1.  Even though by the end of his active period they were shot without an audience, whenever he appeared on Carson to plug the special (and show outtake clips), the Carson audience was always asked to stay, they pulled out his curtain and then he came out and taped the opening monologue and his closing for his specials with the Carson audience for that night.  I would imagine that hardly anyone left when they were told that Hope would do his monologue.

Of course, that reveals that when Hope looked over to his right and said, "Les?" and Les Brown and His Band of Renown would play "Thanks for the Memory" under his closing--well, the music was canned.  (Unless Doc's band stuck around and Les conducted them playing the music.)

ewalker3

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2007, 02:00:24 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'165934\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:12 PM\']
Carey has a 17-year-old son.

I thought the article said that Syd had a 17-year old son...but it was so strangely worded, Im probably wrong.
[/quote]

i agree - i think they meant Syd not drew. I know Syd has an older daughter (went to the same school years ago as a friend of mine).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 11:12:43 AM by Matt Ottinger »