Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC to leave Burbank for new faclility  (Read 7159 times)

tvrandywest

NBC to leave Burbank for new faclility
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'166490\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 08:22 AM\']
Perhaps someone can debunk or confirm--there was a rumor circulating a while back that Leno was getting cold feet about abdicating the TONIGHT SHOW to Conan.  Was it only a rumor, or does that prospect still possibly have legs? [/quote]
I hear there is indeed truth to Leno's reluctance to abdicate the throne. But NBC will have to pay a huge penalty if they don't go through with Conan's deal. The latest spin I heard is that Leno may return on FOX with an 11PM start. More to come.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 12:07:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'166494\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 11:42 AM\']I hear there is indeed truth to Leno's reluctance to abdicate the throne. But NBC will have to pay a huge penalty if they don't go through with Conan's deal. [/quote]
And keep in mind that it's not Leno's decision to make.  I'm not saying NBC won't screw this up again the way they did last time, but it's not as though Leno gets to say, "pay Conan the penalty, I'm staying."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'166499\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 11:07 AM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'166494\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 11:42 AM\']I hear there is indeed truth to Leno's reluctance to abdicate the throne. But NBC will have to pay a huge penalty if they don't go through with Conan's deal. [/quote]
And keep in mind that it's not Leno's decision to make.  I'm not saying NBC won't screw this up again the way they did last time, but it's not as though Leno gets to say, "pay Conan the penalty, I'm staying."
[/quote]

Leno has been noticeably testy regarding NBC on the air lately, indicating that it wasn't his idea in the first place to leave "Tonight" in 2009 and hinting that he's not happy that Conan's going to get the refurbished Stage 1 at Universal City.

And I would be surprised that he will get the half-hour jump if he does move to Fox--I've read that Roger Ailes would like to see all of the owned stations doing news at 11/10C and that they would probably pressure the affiliates to do the same.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 12:37:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'166500\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 11:27 AM\']
Leno has been noticeably testy regarding NBC on the air lately, indicating that it wasn't his idea in the first place to leave "Tonight" in 2009 and hinting that he's not happy that Conan's going to get the refurbished Stage 1 at Universal City.
[/quote]
Granted, I tend to favor Dave over Jay (not that I have anything against Leno), but I do remember watching Leno when the announcement about Conan ascending was made.  It seemed very awkward even then.  Even though Jay tried to put the best face possible on it (and at that time the 2009 date was seemingly a long way off), you still got the sense that even then Leno was leery about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:39:44 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve McClellan

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 06:05:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'166500\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 09:27 AM\']
And I would be surprised that he will get the half-hour jump if he does move to Fox--I've read that Roger Ailes would like to see all of the owned stations doing news at 11/10C and that they would probably pressure the affiliates to do the same. [/quote]
That's interesting - in each of the last two places I've lived (Pittsburgh and Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/San Luis Obispo markets), the Fox affil's newscast's big drawing point is being "First at Ten", with sitcom reruns between 11:00 and midnight. I thought that was the norm for Fox. Was I terribly mistaken?

tpirfan28

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'166530\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 06:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'166500\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 09:27 AM\']
And I would be surprised that he will get the half-hour jump if he does move to Fox--I've read that Roger Ailes would like to see all of the owned stations doing news at 11/10C and that they would probably pressure the affiliates to do the same. [/quote]
That's interesting - in each of the last two places I've lived (Pittsburgh and Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/San Luis Obispo markets), the Fox affil's newscast's big drawing point is being "First at Ten", with sitcom reruns between 11:00 and midnight. I thought that was the norm for Fox. Was I terribly mistaken?
[/quote]
No, your not mistaken.  Fox's late news broadcasts are at 10 eastern.  Wouldn't surprise me if they want to switch to 11 so there would be competition at 11:30.

/would still watch Colbert
//Letterman on Fridays and when Colbert's teaser sucks
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvwxman

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 07:00:27 PM »
Nope. Incorrect.

Fox all along has made it clear to affiliates that 10 is where their going to stay. However, in their O&O markets, where they are trying to sell themselves as a full-fledged news division, they've added newscasts across the board.... First at 5PM (where they've had mostly NO success whatsoever), and now at 11PM.

Do not look for this to be a sign that they're dumping 10pm slots. If anything, you're more likely going to see a national newscast at 11PM  than anything else. Shepard Smith has been vocal about giving that a try.

My Prediction : 11PM National News, 11:30 Jay Leno. You heard it here first.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 07:00:41 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

trainman

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'166543\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 04:00 PM\']However, in their O&O markets, where they are trying to sell themselves as a full-fledged news division, they've added newscasts across the board.... First at 5PM (where they've had mostly NO success whatsoever), and now at 11PM.[/quote]

Not quite across the board -- KTTV in L.A. must still be getting decent ratings with "Simpsons" reruns (although they do have an 11:00 newscast, such as it is, over on KCOP).
trainman is a man of trains

Casey Buck

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 12:24:17 AM »
KPTV here in Portland has had an 11 PM newscast for almost 2 years, in addition to their 10 PM newscast (which they've had since 1970, back when they were an indepedent station). IIRC, they were likely one of the first FOX stations to do this.

carlopanno

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 05:38:25 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' post=\'166300\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 09:49 AM\']
This Variety article reports that, in addition to NBC planning a move from Burbank to just across from the Universal lot, CBS could relocate from Television City to Studio Center [on Radford Ave. in Studio City], just like their Los Angeles TV stations [CBS-2 and KCAL-9] did last fall.  No more Bob Barker Studio?

www.variety.com/article/VR1117973843.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
[/quote]

I could be wrong -- and there are enough people in the know to correct me if I am, and please do -- but I believe that Televison City was scratch-built as a video production facility and Radford is essentially a film facility, although they did bulid a TV production building for channel 2 and channel 9.

The question is -- is Televison City in good shape or is it showing its age?

--c

tvrandywest

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2007, 06:32:20 PM »
[quote name=\'carlopanno\' post=\'166733\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 02:38 PM\'] I could be wrong -- and there are enough people in the know to correct me if I am, and please do -- but I believe that Televison City was scratch-built as a video production facility and Radford is essentially a film facility, although they did bulid a TV production building for channel 2 and channel 9.

The question is -- is Televison City in good shape or is it showing its age? [/quote]

The Radford facility is indeed primarily a film lot that is almost a century old, with lineage going back to silent comedies and westerns. In the annals of television it is distinguished to have been home to some wonderful classics, including Gunsmoke, Gilligan's Island, My Three Sons, Mary Tyler Moore, WKRP, Seinfeld, to name only a few... all film shows.

By contrast, TVCity was built to be a video facility. Between the planning that went into the original construction and the respectful remodeling that's been done over the years, I would say that for being 50, the old girl has lots of life still in her. It's in FAR better shape than NBC Burbank.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 06:47:41 PM by chris319 »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2007, 07:00:42 PM »
TV City was built in an era when former vaudevillians doing variety shows on TV was the norm. Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, Red Skelton, Judy Garland and later, Sonny and Cher, Tony Orlando and Carol Burnett. How times have changed. There are no more variety shows like that any more, and today 3/4 of the original four studios are occupied full-time by daytime soaps and 1/4 primarily by a game show.

Clearly they should have built more office space when they built the addition in the early '90s, as there are now mobile home offices in the Genesee alley. Had they been really smart, they would have snapped up the parcel to the east before they built apartments there. TV City is boxed into a fairly small lot.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 07:05:55 PM by chris319 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'166494\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 10:42 AM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'166490\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 08:22 AM\']
Perhaps someone can debunk or confirm--there was a rumor circulating a while back that Leno was getting cold feet about abdicating the TONIGHT SHOW to Conan.  Was it only a rumor, or does that prospect still possibly have legs? [/quote]
I hear there is indeed truth to Leno's reluctance to abdicate the throne. But NBC will have to pay a huge penalty if they don't go through with Conan's deal. The latest spin I heard is that Leno may return on FOX with an 11PM start. More to come.
[/quote]
Funny that we were just talking about this.

10/15/07 L.A. Times article (may require registration or Bugmenot, although I was able to read it without)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:50:05 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
JACK CLARK: The password is "smarmy".

ALLEN LUDDEN: Ten points.

CELEBRITY: Conan.

CONTESTANT: Smarmy.

(SFX AND APPLAUSE)

Neumms

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 06:46:20 PM »
They could always turn those uproarious "Jaywalking" segments into a studio-based game show and let Leno host that. Add a million-dollar top prize to a proven format--you can't lose.

Also, love Jay's bit where the real estate agent came through--yeah, they never watch what Letterman's doing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:49:13 PM by Neumms »