Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR 1974 Home Game Instructions  (Read 1804 times)

GSNFAN3000

TPiR 1974 Home Game Instructions
« on: October 06, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
Hello,

I have ordered Milton Bradley's The Price is Right (2nd Edition) home game from eBay without the instructions. Can someone help me with the instructions for the game, please? TY

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:37:29 AM »
[quote name=\'GSNFAN3000\' post=\'165753\' date=\'Oct 6 2007, 07:22 PM\'] Hello,

I have ordered Milton Bradley's The Price is Right (2nd Edition) home game from eBay without the instructions. Can someone help me with the instructions for the game, please? TY [/quote]
mmmm, Don't have the instructions, but another ebay auction shows a page of the instructions.  Grabbing that image and turning it sideways actually helps a bit:
(Not my auction, don't know the seller, not shilling, just trying to help)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1974-NEW-PRICE...5QQcmdZViewItem

And apparently this guy makes copies of game rules for people:
http://www.darwinsgamecloset.com/rules-page-7.html
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:17:15 AM »
In looking at the Italian version of the home game on the 'Geek, I notice that it includes a replica of the Big Wheel.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:06:05 AM »
Not meaning to be snarky, but I would think all of the games play just as they do on TV.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 10:10:31 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'165809\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 08:06 AM\'] Not meaning to be snarky, but I would think all of the games play just as they do on TV. [/quote]
And if you'd clicked on that eBay link, you'd have been as surprised as me.  The people who made the 1974 game made a small attempt to create an actual board game, and not just a game show sim.  The one-bid segment was apparently replaced with a rapid-fire simultaneous-reveal cancellation auction (the Three on a Match bidding system)
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:13:38 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'165813\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 07:10 AM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'165809\' date=\'Oct 7 2007, 08:06 AM\'] Not meaning to be snarky, but I would think all of the games play just as they do on TV. [/quote]
And if you'd clicked on that eBay link, you'd have been as surprised as me.  The people who made the 1974 game made a small attempt to create an actual board game, and not just a game show sim.  The one-bid segment was apparently replaced with a rapid-fire simultaneous-reveal cancellation auction (the Three on a Match bidding system)[/quote]
Is this the version with the yellow box sides?  (The link was to the first edition - the easiest way to tell, besides the fact that it doesn't say "2nd Edition", is that the first edition was called "The New Price is Right"; also, it was released before most of the games had names, which is why "Any Number" (which is called that in the second edition) is called "The Numbers Game" in the first edition.)

For those of you who don't know what's meant by the "Three on a Match bidding system": each player picks a number (from a set of cards) from 1 to 6 (3oaM used 1-4), and whoever picks the highest number that no one else picked gets to play the pricing game.  (If everybody picked the same number, or two picked one and two picked another, treat it as if everybody overbid and do it again until someone wins.)

There might be a game or two that isn't played any more - I'm pretty sure Mystery Price was in the second edition.  (If you don't know how that worked: there was one prize that had a "mystery price", and four other prizes you bid on.  If you didn't go over the prize of a bid price, you won that prize, and your bid was added to the "bank"; if, after all four bids, the bank had at least as much money as the mystery price, you won the game's big prize.)

But if there is no "big wheel" like someone else mentioned, don't worry - they released this version of the game a few months before they had the first hour-long episodes.

-- Don

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:43:31 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'166568\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 11:13 PM\']Is this the version with the yellow box sides?  (The link was to the first edition - the easiest way to tell, besides the fact that it doesn't say "2nd Edition", is that the first edition was called "The New Price is Right"; also, it was released before most of the games had names, which is why "Any Number" (which is called that in the second edition) is called "The Numbers Game" in the first edition.)[/quote]
Actually, they did have names -- they just weren't generally being used on the air.  I have to wonder why, if the Milton-Bradley people wanted the games to have names (and they evidently did), they didn't ask the show's staff, "Hey, what are these called?" instead of making up their own.

[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'166568\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 11:13 PM\']There might be a game or two that isn't played any more - I'm pretty sure Mystery Price was in the second edition.[/quote]
If I remember correctly, the 2nd Edition has Any Number, Double Prices, Money Game, Range Game, Lucky Seven, Temptation, and Mystery Price.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:44:32 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

HYHYBT

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 02:22:49 AM »
Actually, they did have names -- they just weren't generally being used on the air. I have to wonder why, if the Milton-Bradley people wanted the games to have names (and they evidently did), they didn't ask the show's staff, "Hey, what are these called?" instead of making up their own.
Quite possibly it didn't occur to them that the games might *have* real names to ask about. And as long as the names weren't being used on-air, to the viewer and box game buyer it wouldn't matter anyway.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages