Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS' on-air promotion of Drew  (Read 3755 times)

SteveR

CBS' on-air promotion of Drew
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:13:23 PM »
This has to do with what they did during the hour when TPiR was on.

Yeah, they did segments for network and local news and for the national entertainment shows, with video of Drew on the Price set and even posted 2:30 of actual game play on YouTube.

And Drew sat down and gave interviews for almost every outlet that wanted one.

But IIRC, all we got from 11-12 was the online ticketing plug and the "ding-ding-ding" glasses promo.

I kinda thought we'd see some video or at least hear Drew with a "join me on Monday" promo at the end while the credits were rolling. Monday at 11:01 a.m. will be the first time we see/hear him in the TPiR time slot. (Or on tape for me, since I scheduled a doctor's appt. for that exact time -- three months ago when no one knew a thing)

Was that the right way to approach things? Do you think the total absence of Drew was in deference to Bob?

Should it have been done any differently?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:20:33 PM by SteveR »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:40:41 PM »
There's a job waiting for you at CBS. Report Monday.

Do you think the total absence of Drew was in deference to Bob?
Lordy sakes, no. I can just imagine the party at the CBS and Fremantle finance departments on the day Barker announced his retirement.

It occurs to me that I've been typing the letters "CBS" a lot lately.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 06:26:27 PM by chris319 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »
There were promo spots on CBS here and there.  I think they involved Drew's Glasses.
This signature is currently under construction.

SteveR

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 04:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'166518\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 03:40 PM\']
Do you think the total absence of Drew was in deference to Bob?
Lordy sakes, no. I can just imagine the party at the combined CBS and Fremantle finance departments on the day Barker announced his retirement.[/quote]That question was actually a politely worded version of what I was really thinking ... "Do you think Barker -- and his ego -- in any way insisted on the absence of 'the new guy' during any of his reruns?"

Of course, that doesn't make any sense either, since Drew's image is seen twice in the ticketing promo.

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »
I've voiced lots of promos and have seen similar campaigns before. It's a valid way to approach this transition.

The thinking might be something like this: There's no need to do the usual... toot the horn about games, prizes, excitement, etc.... because everyone knows the show. Therefore you only want to focus on Drew, that's the message, and you only have a few seconds in those spots we've seen. So do you show Drew smiling, handling a Plinko chip or something similar? The glasses and graphics are obviously memorable and the lack of audio from the show or traditional voice-over actually breaks through the clutter and attracts attention.  A common theory among promo producers is that sometimes by showing less you have done more to build anticipation.

I think it worked well, and don't have any reason to believe it was done in deference to Bob. I think those days are over.

But what do I know... I just yell "come on down" for a living.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:44:17 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

CX360

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:05:57 PM »
Is this really Randy West? Wow, this forum is popular.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
[quote name=\'CX360\' post=\'166532\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 03:05 PM\']
[/quote]
Nothing but the best ;-)

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:14:39 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'166537\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 05:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'CX360\' post=\'166532\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 03:05 PM\']
[/quote]
Nothing but the best ;-)
[/quote]
Then where's Betty White?

/Seems to be the nom du jour.

trainman

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 08:59:54 PM »
Since this is the promo thread...

CBS had their NFL announcers read a promo for Drew's "TPIR" during today's games.  I don't remember them ever doing promos for any daytime programming during football before (although traditionally, there hasn't been a huge overlap between the NFL audience and, say, the "Young and the Restless" audience).
trainman is a man of trains

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:45 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'166746\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 08:59 PM\']
Since this is the promo thread...

CBS had their NFL announcers read a promo for Drew's "TPIR" during today's games.  I don't remember them ever doing promos for any daytime programming during football before (although traditionally, there hasn't been a huge overlap between the NFL audience and, say, the "Young and the Restless" audience).
[/quote]

For those who didn't watch CBS today, it was a little more than just a read promo -- it also showed on the lower 1/3rd of the screen Drew standing there -- with a microphone in his hand -- "spinning" the big wheel, and the TPIR theme was playing in the background.  

I would not be surprised if CBS will rerun tomorrow's episode in Primetime -- most likely Saturday Night in lieu of an hour of a "Crimetime Saturday" rerun.

catkins522

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 10:20:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'166528\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 05:13 PM\']
[/quote]

Well, if someone kills Rich and/or falls dead, you were a temp annoucer.  Today, it's a unpaid hobby.  And, if you say it several times to some people, you will put in jail and/or Chez Funny Farm.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 12:20:19 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'166751\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 07:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'166528\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 05:13 PM\']
[/quote]
Well, if someone kills Rich and/or falls dead, you were a temp annoucer.  Today, it's a unpaid hobby.  And, if you say it several times to some people, you will put in jail and/or Chez Funny Farm.
Charles[/quote]
Huh? If it were an unpaid hobby the IRS wouldn't have their hand so deep in my pocket.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chad1m

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 01:07:41 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'166751\' date=\'Oct 14 2007, 10:20 PM\']
Today, it's a unpaid hobby.[/quote]

You must not realize Randy also works the Price stage shows.

davidhammett

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'166525\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 04:39 PM\']
There were promo spots on CBS here and there.  I think they involved Drew's Glasses.
[/quote]
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but I'm curious if anyone else sees anything vaguely Bill-Cullenesque about these promos with the glasses and the title of the show.  Perhaps my mind is confusing the image with that of Bill on the cover of the Eye Guess home game or some such.

davemackey

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 06:48:54 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'166759\' date=\'Oct 15 2007, 01:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'166525\' date=\'Oct 12 2007, 04:39 PM\']
[/quote]
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but I'm curious if anyone else sees anything vaguely Bill-Cullenesque about these promos with the glasses and the title of the show.  Perhaps my mind is confusing the image with that of Bill on the cover of the Eye Guess home game or some such.
[/quote]
I've always felt with his quick wit, crew cut and glasses, Drew Carey was a modern-day version of Bill - of course, a more able-bodied and overweight version thereof.