Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New book about GS Hosts  (Read 4103 times)

ChuckNet

New book about GS Hosts
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 07:24:41 AM »
The Hal Erickson book Curt linked to is a good reference book if you want to find out which syndicator distributed what show, but an infuriating read if you are a game show fan. Erickson doesn't have a kind word about game shows (though McFarland uses a picture of one on the cover). For example, he refers to the second host of BTB86 as "the gloriously named Joe Farago," inferring that the show was a farrago

Yeah, Erickson's anti-GS bias becomes quite apparent after reading his comments:

- Bemoaning the alleged lack of creativity in the 70s trend of launching nighttime syndie versions of popular daytime games
- Warning readers to skip the 80s GS section if they think the Prime Time Acces Rule brought about diversity, claiming it would "only depress you"
- Claiming the most exciting thing to happen during Bullseye's run was an ep where the wheels spun out of control

I'd say his dislike of the genre's more apparent than Fred Silverman's.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Bob Zager

New book about GS Hosts
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 04:36:43 PM »
Click the following link, and you'll see the book's Table of Contents, listing the "32 stars" profiled:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/contents-2.php...8-0-7864-2926-4

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
New book about GS Hosts
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'161486\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 06:24 AM\']
- Claiming the most exciting thing to happen during Bullseye's run was an ep where the wheels spun out of control
[/quote]
Well, he's pretty close to the mark on that one.  The show dragged on and on (and then some) by going to $2,000.  As much as I dislike TJW, at least they made that game quicker by only playing to $500.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

New book about GS Hosts
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 05:49:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'164574\' date=\'Sep 22 2007, 04:36 PM\']
Click the following link, and you'll see the book's Table of Contents, listing the "32 stars" profiled:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/contents-2.php...8-0-7864-2926-4
[/quote]
Man, I don't think anybody ought to have a problem with his choices.  Lining them up against our own top-50 list creates almost an exact fit.  An astounding 29 of his 32 names are among our top 32 choices of all-time greats, and Dennis James ranked 33rd on our list.  The only ones we ranked higher were relatively modern choices Marc Summers (23) and Tom Bergeron (25), as well as the one, the only Groucho (30).  I would imagine leaving Groucho off was a deliberate choice since he doesn't really "fit the mold".

The only three names in his book that didn't make our top-32 were the aforementioned Dennis James (33), Hal March (41) and Bert Parks (45).  If you're old-school and really want to make a fuss about it, you could probably make a case for Jan Murray, and to a lesser extent Art Linkletter.  (To me, Hugh Downs is an anomaly the way Groucho is, someone whose fame really doesn't stem from his game shows.)

In a way, that's impressive.  But in another way, it just goes to show how few guys there are who could do that sort of thing well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

sshuffield70

New book about GS Hosts
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'164575\' date=\'Sep 22 2007, 04:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'161486\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 06:24 AM\']
[/quote]
Well, he's pretty close to the mark on that one.  The show dragged on and on (and then some) by going to $2,000.  As much as I dislike TJW, at least they made that game quicker by only playing to $500.
[/quote]

Well, there was no difference going from $1000 to 2000, since the values doubled also.  They were $50-$200 before going to $100-400 during the charity week rules, which became permanent.

Bob Zager

New book about GS Hosts
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 10:28:02 AM »
Although I haven't seen a copy in my local bookstores, the book IS available now, and can be ordered!