Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare  (Read 5846 times)

Neumms

Double Dare
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »
Watching it regularly for the first time, it seems to me that the Spoiler clues are way too easy, where the game becomes more of a Jack Barry/Slay the Dragon luck thing than any skill involved for the civilian. Does anyone agree, or remember that they made them tougher as the show went on? Or if they went to more pop culture answers that would humorously escape the scholars' attention?

Spoiler spoiler (from Sunday night/Monday morning's episode)

[color=\"#FFFFFF\"]I was shocked the third Spoiler didn't get it from the Jung/psychoanalysis clue.[/color]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:11:07 PM by Neumms »

Mr. Armadillo

Double Dare
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »
No.  

There has to be a good spread in difficulty among the clues, otherwise the whole 'give or pass' exercise becomes pointless.  As such, you run the situation where you might have to give an 'easier' clue to the Spoilers.

And, as your example proves, not every Spoiler knows everything about everything.  Remember, they only had to stump one of them.  If the clues were any harder, it would be way too easy to do that.

Steve McClellan

Double Dare
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' date=\'Oct 16 2007, 03:17 PM\'] No.  [/quote]
I disagree. The episodes I've seen, there hasn't been much of a spread - really easy to easy-to-moderate. You can't avoid giving them multiple easy clues. It's basically just a matter of passing on the very easy ones and hoping one of them is ignorant enough of the subject to miss after four easy clues.

Ian Wallis

Double Dare
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:54:54 PM »
Well...every show has a budget.  They probably didn't want a win in every end-game...that's one way of looking at it.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

Double Dare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
Cut them a little slack, that was episode #6.  They're probably still getting a feel for how to write these things.  Although if I was the player, I would have given the movie clue.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Double Dare
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »
Yeah, if the finale is any indication, the utterly obvious passes remain, but you'll get a few more clues some place in the middle that the contestant has to decide on. I'm surprised more people with episodes haven't chimed in.

-Jason
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:12:35 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

Double Dare
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:27:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'167029\' date=\'Oct 16 2007, 06:01 PM\']
The episodes I've seen, there hasn't been much of a spread - really easy to easy-to-moderate. You can't avoid giving them multiple easy clues. It's basically just a matter of passing on the very easy ones and hoping one of them is ignorant enough of the subject to miss after four easy clues.
[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one--there are harder clues in the front game than ever appear on the Spoilers board. And they're not exactly going for obscure names--Mozart and Freud for example. They could have at least chosen the second most famous psychologist in history rather than the first.

But it's a good point, these are still the first two weeks. (Not that that didn't keep us from savaging Merv's new show.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Double Dare
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 03:58:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'167080\' date=\'Oct 16 2007, 10:27 PM\']
But it's a good point, these are still the first two weeks. (Not that that didn't keep us from savaging Merv's new show.)
[/quote]
Apples and oranges. Questioning the quality of the material is very different from questioning a format that is just plain broken.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

Double Dare
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:06:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'167080\' date=\'Oct 17 2007, 12:27 AM\']
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'167029\' date=\'Oct 16 2007, 06:01 PM\']
The episodes I've seen, there hasn't been much of a spread - really easy to easy-to-moderate. You can't avoid giving them multiple easy clues. It's basically just a matter of passing on the very easy ones and hoping one of them is ignorant enough of the subject to miss after four easy clues.
[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one--there are harder clues in the front game than ever appear on the Spoilers board. And they're not exactly going for obscure names--Mozart and Freud for example. They could have at least chosen the second most famous psychologist in history rather than the first.
[/quote]
Yeah, but how many TV viewers would know who the second most famous psychologist is?

Matt Ottinger

Double Dare
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 12:37:03 PM »
Part of the fun, as I recall (I haven't been watching the latest run) was watching the educated men of letters in the "spoiler" booths get tripped up over what would otherwise seem to be staggeringly easy pop culture stuff.  And yes, as with any Q&A show, some question sets are going to be easier than others.  I don't think it's any great indictment against the show that we've seen a handful of easy ones in the early episodes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Double Dare
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 01:00:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'167110\' date=\'Oct 17 2007, 09:06 AM\']
Yeah, but how many TV viewers would know who the second most famous psychologist is?
[/quote]
You mean, behind Dr. Phil? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Double Dare
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'167116\' date=\'Oct 17 2007, 12:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'167110\' date=\'Oct 17 2007, 09:06 AM\']
[/quote]
You mean, behind Dr. Phil? :)
[/quote]

Back then, Bob Newhart.

I agree with you, Matt--the pop culture ones seem to work better. To find an academic subject that is still known to the general public but isn't too easy for the Spoilers seems a sticking point.

BrandonFG

Double Dare
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'167113\' date=\'Oct 17 2007, 12:37 PM\']
Part of the fun, as I recall (I haven't been watching the latest run) was watching the educated men of letters in the "spoiler" booths get tripped up over what would otherwise seem to be staggeringly easy pop culture stuff.  
[/quote]
Case in point, one recent ep. (recent in terms of when it aired on GSN) had "LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY" for the subject. As popular as the show was in 1976-77, I'm surprised it actually tripped up some of the spoilers, even the clues that mentioned the brewery the girls worked in.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Double Dare
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'167121\' date=\'Oct 17 2007, 12:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'167113\' date=\'Oct 17 2007, 12:37 PM\']
Part of the fun, as I recall (I haven't been watching the latest run) was watching the educated men of letters in the "spoiler" booths get tripped up over what would otherwise seem to be staggeringly easy pop culture stuff.  
[/quote]
Case in point, one recent ep. (recent in terms of when it aired on GSN) had "LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY" for the subject. As popular as the show was in 1976-77, I'm surprised it actually tripped up some of the spoilers, even the clues that mentioned the brewery the girls worked in.
[/quote]
What really got me, though, was one clue referred to the show's two title characters, and one spoiler still answered "Sesame Street."
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

That Don Guy

Double Dare
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 03:52:48 PM »
I've noticed that there tend to be four clues that are pretty much giveaways, and four where you might be able to piece the clues together.

Occasionally, however, there's something in one of the hard clues that pretty much gives the answer away when combined with another hard clue.  For example, when the answer was Agatha Christie, one of the hard clues mentioned that the answer was a woman, and pretty much all of the others said she was a mystery writer.  Maybe if the "it's a woman" clue came last, one of the spoilers might not think of Christie first, but as it played out, the contestant didn't have much chance.

-- Don