Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips for Fremantle on TPIR  (Read 1415 times)

BMaurice06

Tips for Fremantle on TPIR
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:52:49 AM »
I myself don't anticipate any troubles happening on The Price is Right in the future, but what do you think that CBS and Fremantle should do to give Drew Carey the proper time to demonstrate success?  My personal take is similar to what Steve Beverly suggested this summer in his commentary on tvgameshows.net:

1.  TPIR should gradually distance themselves from Bob Barker's influence.  I'm not saying change the format of the show around to suit a certain demo (because that would truly be blasphemy IMO), but rather try to eliminate Barker's trademarks as you go along.  A good example is the "spay and neuter your pets" spiel; having Drew say that at the end only amplifies the comparisons to Bob.

2.  Open up the relationship between Drew and the rest of the regulars.  It would be nice to enhance the family-friendly atmosphere to have Drew banter a little with the models and Rich Fields (but not too much, though, we have to keep the game going).

That's just my take.  True, Barker will not be forgotten soon, but there was a Price is Right before he came along, and to show that the program can succeed after him Drew need to carve his own personality in order to keep the franchise going.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:40:42 AM »
Drew's already carved his own spot and seems to be moving in the direction of suggestion #2. The only thing that'll truly hurt him there is time, and frankly, I'd do without cast byplay to keep the stuff with contestants where it is. As for suggestion #1, I think most of the general public sees it the way Drew sees it - a harmless, good message to pass along, regardless of the motivation. He was the one who chose to maintain it, after all. The general public isn't exactly aware of all of Bob's misdoings as intimately as we are, so there's no need for them to "move away from Bob."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tpirfan28

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:31:20 AM »
My dream world suggestion:  Mic the models.  Drew's been so into bantering with them already that the occasional perkup of "Good luck" or "I'm pullin' for you" from the model wouldn't be bad.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'167648\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 09:31 AM\']
My dream world suggestion:  Mic the models.  Drew's been so into bantering with them already that the occasional perkup of "Good luck" or "I'm pullin' for you" from the model wouldn't be bad.
[/quote]

My dream world suggestion: Mic Rachel. Don't mic the rest in order to save time.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:00:54 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'167640\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 11:52 PM\']I myself don't anticipate any troubles happening on The Price is Right in the future, but what do you think that CBS and Fremantle should do to give Drew Carey the proper time to demonstrate success? [/quote] That's a really silly question if you dissect it. To give Drew the proper time to demonstrate success, they should sit back, not overpower him with notes, and let him be.

My personal take is similar to what Steve Beverly suggested this summer in his commentary on tvgameshows.net:
While I herald your heartiness in being able to get through a Steve commentary, why not just say "This is what he says..."
Travis L. Eberle