Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amazing Race Back in 2 Weeks?  (Read 2207 times)

tvmitch

The Amazing Race Back in 2 Weeks?
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »
An AP article came down today about the cancellation of "Viva Laughlin," which is no surprise. What is a surprise is that there is a mention of The Amazing Race at the bottom of the article.

(Laughlin) will be replaced next Sunday by a "CSI" rerun, with reality series "The Amazing Race" then taking over the time period, CBS (part of CBS Corp.) said Monday.

There is no mention yet of any TAR version other than the All-Stars on CBS.com. It would be very interesting to see if CBS actually gets TAR ready to roll so quickly and without much opportunity for promo, although I would imagine that this new season has been in the can for some time.

EDIT: for quick reference, the time period in question is 8pm EDT on Sundays.

/"Viva" probably didn't work because half the country doesn't know how to pronounce Laughlin
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:01:51 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:14:57 AM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that an entire season of TAR was shot, edited and ready to go, and CBS was just waiting for a show to fail.
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'167646\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 10:00 AM\']/"Viva" probably didn't work because half the country doesn't know how to pronounce Laughlin[/quote]
That's actually a really good point.  You ought not to have a title that viewers will find difficult to pronounce.  Just ask Tom Kennedy.

BTW, is it LAWF-lin?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:17:04 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:43:59 AM »
Seeing the name "Laughlin" reminds me of the Lori Laughlin who played Rebecca on Full House.  She was leggy hot at the time!
-Sanford

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'167650\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 10:43 AM\']
Seeing the name "Laughlin" reminds me of the Lori Laughlin who played Rebecca on Full House.  She was leggy hot at the time!
[/quote]
And still hot at 43.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0521753/
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Clay Zambo

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'167647\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 10:14 AM\']
BTW, is it LAWF-lin?
[/quote]

Ay-yup.  Most decidedly not LOCK-lin.
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:51:57 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'167646\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 07:00 AM\']
/"Viva" probably didn't work because half the country doesn't know how to pronounce Laughlin
[/quote]
It's a comedy, innit? I'm shocked it didn't succeed. I love to laugh too!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
Wait...cancelled?  Didn't this show just debut like, last week?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'167659\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 12:08 PM\']
Wait...cancelled?  Didn't this show just debut like, last week?[/quote]
I think there've been two, but only one in its regular Sunday slot.  CBS treated this the way networks used to treat their game and reality shows before that genre grabbed hold.  They went out of their way to show that they didn't trust the concept, giving potential fans no reason to believe in it either.  If you're going to do something radically different, you have to totally embrace the idea to have any chance of it surviving, and CBS didn't do that with this.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 12:26:17 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rugrats1

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »
Yes, on its Thursday preview night and its regular Sunday night schedule. Any earlier than Sunday and it would've almost been a repeat of the 1979 "Co-Ed Fever" scenario (that show was cancelled after its only telecast as a special preview).

It seems that newtorks no longer have the patience to give new TV shows with weak ratings a chance -- "Nashville" on Fox was another recent series that was axed after two episodes.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'167663\' date=\'Oct 23 2007, 11:24 AM\']
Yes, on its Thursday preview night and its regular Sunday night schedule. Any earlier than Sunday and it would've almost been a repeat of the 1979 "Co-Ed Fever" scenario (that show was cancelled after its only telecast as a special preview).

It seems that newtorks no longer have the patience to give new TV shows with weak ratings a chance -- "Nashville" on Fox was another recent series that was axed after two episodes.
[/quote]

On the other hand, they're seem to be showing relative patience this year, only because they know a writers' strike is coming and they can't afford to throw out things in the programming fridge willy-nilly.

At this point, "Laughlin"'s the only scripted series that's been canned.  The video mag "Online Nation" on The CW was canned after three episodes.  "Nashville" was supposed to return Nov. 9, but Fox instead will go with a second night of "Don't Forget the Lyrics!", making that [Mark Thompson] "THE SCHEDULE CHANGE YOU'LL BE TALKING ABOUT TOMORROW!" [MT]  :)

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:53:47 PM »
As if we need any more official confirmation, there was an ad for Amazing Race today during TPIR.

I do not recall a time.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

SteveR

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 05:16:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'167781\' date=\'Oct 24 2007, 04:53 PM\']
As if we need any more official confirmation, there was an ad for Amazing Race today during TPIR.

I do not recall a time.
[/quote]I believe it's the standard 8:00 slot between 60 Min and Cold Case. But as usual, the start time of the entire block will be subject to sports over-runs.

cool245

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 05:59:55 PM »
CBS' official Race site is now up.