Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew Carey defends medical marijuana online  (Read 3731 times)

Kniwt

Drew Carey defends medical marijuana online
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:13:39 AM »
Story from Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Bob Barker famously closed each episode of "The Price Is Right" with a pitch to spay and neuter pets. His successor is taking a stand on a more controversial subject: marijuana. Drew Carey won't tout toking up on "Price," but he defends the use of medical marijuana in a video posted online Thursday on Reason.tv.

more at link

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
Good for him. Viacom and Fremantle must be shiatting themselves. I can't say that bothers me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

comicus

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »
Bob Barker, by all reports, was a lecherous ogre who shut off nearly every positive aspect of his personality and humanity the moment the cameras went off.  Drew Carey, by all reports, is none of the above, but does bring a handful of un-p.c. opinions to the table.  How sad that Drew speaking his mind will evidently generate more media controversy and negative press than nearly anything Bob and his penile perversions wrought over the course of 35 years.

Viacom/Fremantle has zero right to complain about this, Carey's recent "controversial" appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher or any future feather-ruffling that happens off the TPiR set.  Drew Carey has never made any secret about his opinions, and the network wonks had to know what they were getting when they tapped him for the job.  Even so, I worry that the network will try their damndest to censor Carey and his opinions out of fear that he may upset some of TPiR's more uptight, prudish viewers.  Hope I'm wrong.

Either way, those "$420" bids are going to get a lot funnier... and maybe a lot more frequent, too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:12:47 AM by CountdownRound »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »
Well, as if he weren't already doing a great job on Price, there's one more reason to like him.

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:06:57 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'168583\' date=\'Nov 2 2007, 09:22 AM\']
Viacom/Fremantle has zero right to complain about this[/quote]
I agree, but that doesn't mean they won't.
and the network wonks had to know what they were getting when they tapped him for the job.
Sadly, television production shares a quality with abusive relationships, in that one partner always thinks they can change the other.
Even so, I worry that the network will try their damndest to censor Carey and his opinions out of fear that he may upset some of TPiR's more uptight, prudish viewers.
The upside to this is that I'm pretty sure Carey would just tell them to go screw. Yeah, I'm sure the money doesn't suck, but he was doing pretty ok before this, too. CBS / Fremantle needs him a lot more than he needs them.
Either way, those "$420" bids are going to get a lot funnier... and maybe a lot more frequent, too.
Let's not go nuts here.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »
Imagine this incident multiplied 100 times over if Rosie had gotten the job ;-)

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'168594\' date=\'Nov 2 2007, 04:03 PM\']
Imagine this incident multiplied 100 times over if Rosie had gotten the job ;-)
[/quote]
Rosie would blame President Bush every time she made a mistake in a game.  Of course, there's no way Bush could do that, what with spending all his time shutting down Bo Bielefeldt's web sites. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:19:33 PM by dzinkin »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 05:44:22 PM »
I would be shocked if Drew Carey had not stated this position, publicly, multiple times in the past. The only reason this is a story is because Sandy Cohen needed something to write about.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 06:06:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'168606\' date=\'Nov 2 2007, 02:44 PM\']
I would be shocked if Drew Carey had not stated this position, publicly, multiple times in the past. The only reason this is a story is because Sandy Cohen needed something to write about.
[/quote]
I know for a fact that he has. I loved how Cohen tried desperately to slap an air of controversy on it in the lede.

dzinkin

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »
I'm just hoping that Drew doesn't get confused and combine two of his advocacies.

"Don't forget to have your pets spayed, neutered and toked!  It's the way cool thing to do, mon!" ;-)

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 01:20:22 PM »
That would rule. "Don't forget to have your pet spayed or neutered, it's the right thing to do, and hey, while you're at it, why not SMOKE A PHAT BLUNT. Goodbye, everybody!"

Clay Zambo

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168651\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 01:20 PM\']
That would rule. "Don't forget to have your pet spayed or neutered, it's the right thing to do, and hey, while you're at it, why not SMOKE A PHAT BLUNT. Goodbye, everybody!"
[/quote]

--but only if your doctor prescribes it.
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 12:22:47 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168651\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 01:20 PM\']That would rule. "Don't forget to have your pet spayed or neutered, it's the right thing to do, and hey, while you're at it, why not SMOKE A PHAT BLUNT. Goodbye, everybody!"
[/quote]Perhaps I'm naive about the whole thing, but shouldn't Drew get to have a private life and his own opinions, without having to be a CBS puppet all the time?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:23:14 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 01:16:14 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'168701\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 09:22 PM\']
Perhaps I'm naive about the whole thing, but shouldn't Drew get to have a private life and his own opinions, without having to be a CBS puppet all the time?
[/quote]
You and I and probably most of the people on this board agree wholly on this. I guarantee you, though, that there is a pointy-haired executive SOMEWHERE in the ivory tower that is Viacom that believes that part of that nine million dollars a year is paying for just that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:17:04 AM by clemon79 »

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 12:58:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168703\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 11:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'168701\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 09:22 PM\']
Perhaps I'm naive about the whole thing, but shouldn't Drew get to have a private life and his own opinions, without having to be a CBS puppet all the time?
[/quote]
You and I and probably most of the people on this board agree wholly on this. I guarantee you, though, that there is a pointy-haired executive SOMEWHERE in the ivory tower that is Viacom that believes that part of that nine million dollars a year is paying for just that.
[/quote]

And could that man's initials be LM?