Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew Carey Report Card  (Read 5978 times)

Richie

Drew Carey Report Card
« on: November 03, 2007, 05:04:32 PM »
I've been watching closely for the last few weeks and personally, I really miss Bob Barker on the Price Is Right.
I've been trying to be open-minded with the new choice, but Drew Carey doesn't do it for me.

Mr. Carey giggles at his jokes, and doesn't have that classic emcee voice I desire in a game show host.
John Hurley has it, so does Bob Goen, but Drew needs to refine his delivery. He seems a bit lost right now.

If Drew were to stick around for 30 years on this show, I might finally give him the respect I don't have for him yet.

Just My Opinion !

Richie  
Game Show Heaven at  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:19:42 PM by Matt Ottinger »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 05:26:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 02:04 PM\']I've been watching closely for the last few weeks and personally, I really miss Bob Barker on the Price Is Right.[/quote] That makes one of you, at least.

I've been trying to be open-minded with the new choice, but Drew Carey doesn't do it for me.
Then you are free to not watch anymore.

Just My Opinion !
And we thank you for it.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 05:04 PM\']
I've been watching closely for the last few weeks and personally, I really miss Bob Barker on the Price Is Right.

Mr. Carey giggles at his jokes, and doesn't have that classic emcee voice I desire in a game show host.
John Hurley has it, so does Bob Goen, but Drew needs to refine his delivery. He seems a bit lost right now.

If Drew were to stick around for 30 years on this show, I might finally give him the respect I don't have for him yet.
[/quote]
I still say it's way too soon to pass judgment. He hasn't even put in a full month on the job, and the episodes are airing out of order. Therefore, he seems rusty in some episodes, and in others he seems like he's been on the job for years. The first three weeks of Barker's tenure would look rusty too, compared to, say, a 1975 or '76 episode. You just can't compare three weeks to three-plus decades.

Personally, I disagree with your assessment, also because the show feels like it's been given a huge booster shot. The show just seemed so...lacking in the last few years. A bunch of obnoxious contestants, and an audience who cheered at anything and everything Bob said. It seemed like forced enthusiasm, almost as if to make Bob feel better about the show or himself.

At least now, the excitement appears natural, and Drew appears to be having a genuinely fun time. The Halloween episode tells me that they're having fun at Television City.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:20:10 PM by Matt Ottinger »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

dzinkin

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'168672\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 05:26 PM\'][quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 02:04 PM\']I've been watching closely for the last few weeks and personally, I really miss Bob Barker on the Price Is Right.[/quote] That makes one of you, at least.
[/quote]
Two, actually, since bellbm came to his similarly uninformed opinion after just a single episode.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 06:50:31 PM by dzinkin »

The Pyramids

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 05:04 PM\']
I

[/quote]

I know what you mean. When the choice was made part of me wanted to wanted to see a traditional host for the job.

Still Drew, and the show, have a lot going for it right now.

comicus

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget that Todd Newton didn't get the gig!
Quoth Fremantle, "Deal with it, kid."

Robert Hutchinson

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
I'm going to give this a serious reply, and note in passing that I'm not sure one's irritation with the general standard of "Drew isn't a good host" criticisms merits a "screw you" response to anyone on the other side.

[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 05:04 PM\']Mr. Carey giggles at his jokes, and doesn't have that classic emcee voice I desire in a game show host.
John Hurley has it, so does Bob Goen, but Drew needs to refine his delivery. He seems a bit lost right now.[/quote]
I find that Carey tends to giggle at a lot of things--he's someone whose default state tends to be "amused". Now, that in general can be a fair cop, but I don't think he's specifically laughing at his own jokes because he thinks they're terrific.

If you're literally talking about his voice, I agree, largely because he's not coming from a broadcasting career background. But you seem to then conflate that with his hosting style, and then his hosting skill. On his style, I'm going to somewhat disagree (I think he's not too far from Hurley's style, for instance).

But on his skill, I'm going to point out that hosting The Price Is Right ain't easy. The sheer number of things you have to remember (ALWAYS remember) to keep that show running smoothly . . . here's an example (IMO) from Friday's show, which was taped more recently. Drew was doing something very subtle on this show that I hadn't yet seen him do, and doing it consistently: pausing for a couple of seconds after getting a One Bid from the rightmost contestant, to allow time for the cut to him, then the cut to the left side of the row. That's some inside baseball right there, and TPIR is loaded with it.

Hmm. You seem to get that Barker had decades to hone his skills as TPIR host, but then you say that bit about respect (rather than enjoyment, acceptance, etc.). That seems rather needlessly negative to me--I would tend to reserve that criticism for someone actively stinking up the place. (A Louie Anderson or Patrick Wayne, say, but not quite a Richard Karn. That's just me, though.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'168681\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 05:36 PM\']
I'm going to give this a serious reply, and note in passing that I'm not sure one's irritation with the general standard of "Drew isn't a good host" criticisms merits a "screw you" response to anyone on the other side.[/quote]
I *completely* agree. I *absolutely* welcome differing opinions. I enjoy reading the considered, well-reasoned arguments that caused the person to come to that opinion. That said:
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 02:04 PM\']
Mr. Carey giggles at his jokes,[/quote]
Yes, God forbid that a host should enjoy his job.

(Joe Raygor, this is your cue for "Bob Barker: Serious Business." :))
and doesn't have that classic emcee voice I desire in a game show host.
You mean, like Jack Barry's? Regis Philbin's?
So you're comparing the work of a guy who has been on the job for, what, three months now, to that of a 30-year-veteran?
Just My Opinion !
...and worth exactly what we paid for it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jumpondees

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:31:02 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'168674\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 05:34 PM\']
I still say it's way too soon to pass judgment. He hasn't even put in a full month on the job, and the episodes are airing out of order. Therefore, he seems rusty in some episodes, and in others he seems like he's been on the job for years. The first three weeks of Barker's tenure would look rusty too, compared to, say, a 1975 or '76 episode. You just can't compare three weeks to three-plus decades.
[/quote]

I got to agree here.  I mean, only three weeks in and Drew hasn't turned in enough work to even warrant getting a "I" for "incomplete", let alone getting what sounds like a "D" or "F" from the never-say-die Barker fanb0iz

If you were really giving Drew a fair shake, you really have to take into consideration that Drew had literally no prep time for this gig.  It's not like he was announced as host at the end of last season and has had all Summer to prepare.  Also, Drew has pretty much admitted that he's seen the show, but he really hasn't become a student of it like many of us have.  Come on folks, how many of you out there could recite the rules to almost every pricing game without missing a beat, just by watching the show all these years?

... also because the show feels like it's been given a huge booster shot. The show just seemed so...lacking in the last few years. A bunch of obnoxious contestants, and an audience who cheered at anything and everything Bob said. It seemed like forced enthusiasm, almost as if to make Bob feel better about the show or himself.
[/quote]

I also have to agree here as well...For me it seemed like at times the producers would pick just off the wall contestants for the show just to see what kind of reaction they could get out of Bob.  I know I stopped really watching the show five years ago in the way it was meant to be enjoyed and started watching the show just to see how much more crotchity and cranky Barker got as each year went by.

At least now, the excitement appears natural, and Drew appears to be having a genuinely fun time. The Halloween episode tells me that they're having fun at Television City.
[/quote]

Oh yes...Seeing the models dressed up was great, and I'm sure as much as a pain as it was for them to sit thru more make-up than normal, and wearing things that just looked on TV to be uncomfortable, I'm sure the models just totally enjoyed it.  Also seeing Roger doing something on camera other than standing with his hands in his pockets was great as well.  It was refreshing to see other staff memebers get in on the act.  As much as others may chide me for saying it, I know Rich Fields made a concerted effort to not participate in showcase skits originally out of respect for Rod...but I think it's time Rich to come out from behind the podium and the cameras and get in on the action.  

The Halloween show was great...I can't wait until Christmas...I can see Drew now, coming out the big doors in a full Santa suit.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 10:38:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'168690\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 07:31 PM\']
I know Rich Fields made a concerted effort[/quote]
Swear to God, I read this as "conceited."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 01:45:44 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168689\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 10:28 PM\']I *completely* agree. I *absolutely* welcome differing opinions. I enjoy reading the considered, well-reasoned arguments that caused the person to come to that opinion.[/quote]
And I will note that, in my opinion, the rest of your response was not a "screw you" response. I'm referring more to the faint stirrings here and there of "everyone who doesn't like Drew is a Barker worshipper and/or an idiot".
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

dzinkin

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 07:35:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'168705\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 01:45 AM\']
And I will note that, in my opinion, the rest of your response was not a "screw you" response. I'm referring more to the faint stirrings here and there of "everyone who doesn't like Drew is a Barker worshipper and/or an idiot".
[/quote]
For my part, I was perfectly willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt until he said it could take him 30 years to warm up to Drew.  While I disagree with most of the other criticism, none of it smacks of "if he's not Bob, he's worthless" as much as that.  (For that matter, I'd bet that the OP didn't take thirty years to warm up to Bob.)

Neumms

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 10:49:38 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'168712\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 07:35 AM\']
For my part, I was perfectly willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt until he said it could take him 30 years to warm up to Drew.  While I disagree with most of the other criticism, none of it smacks of "if he's not Bob, he's worthless" as much as that.  (For that matter, I'd bet that the OP didn't take thirty years to warm up to Bob.)
[/quote]

You know, those first 28 or 29 years, I was kind of on the fence about Bob. But boy, that 30th year, he really pulled it together for me. I don't know if it was the episode at the Rio, or the introduction of On the Spot, or the addition of Airborne tablets to the grocery-item games, but that's when I finally said, hey, Cullen was great, and Denny James had that macho thick microphone, but this Barker guy's not bad either.

And 29 years from now, God willing, I may feel the same about Drew.

Kevin Prather

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 12:51:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'168716\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 07:49 AM\']
You know, those first 28 or 29 years, I was kind of on the fence about Bob. But boy, that 30th year, he really pulled it together for me. I don't know if it was the episode at the Rio, or the introduction of On the Spot, or the addition of Airborne tablets to the grocery-item games...
[/quote]
Nah. He just needed to get those pesky girls out of the way. Oh, and get Rod off the camera. He's just in his element when he's the only star. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:52:07 PM by whoserman »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 01:04 PM\']Just My Opinion ![/quote]This occurred to me: people who say "This is just my opinion!" say that as some sort of pre-emptive shield against criticism. If you actually believed that your opinion would pass muster, you wouldn't have to tell us that it was your opinion, because we already know it's your opinion. And it doesn't work anyhow, because we're going to judge your opinion based on the merits, or lack of merits, rather than your insistence that it's just your opinion.

/Forty-thirded: cut Drew some slack, you've already judged him after a month on the job, comparing him to a guy who had nearly 7,000 shows worth of experience.
Travis L. Eberle