Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew Carey Report Card  (Read 5976 times)

Richie

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 04:00:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'168744\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 03:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168669\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 01:04 PM\']Just My Opinion ![/quote]This occurred to me: people who say "This is just my opinion!" say that as some sort of pre-emptive shield against criticism. If you actually believed that your opinion would pass muster, you wouldn't have to tell us that it was your opinion, because we already know it's your opinion. And it doesn't work anyhow, because we're going to judge your opinion based on the merits, or lack of merits, rather than your insistence that it's just your opinion.

/Forty-thirded: cut Drew some slack, you've already judged him after a month on the job, comparing him to a guy who had nearly 7,000 shows worth of experience.
[/quote]
Wish I cared about your opinion about my opinion. You can criticize away just like I can think you're an idiot

dzinkin

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168745\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 05:00 PM\']
Wish I cared about your opinion about my opinion. You can criticize away just like I can think you're an idiot
[/quote]
And just as I can think that you've earned your first strike.

Reminder for those not familiar with the rule: Three Strikes

Kevin Prather

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168745\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 01:00 PM\']
[/quote]
Man. Something in the water the past couple weeks, I guess.

dzinkin

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 04:14:53 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'168747\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 05:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168745\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 01:00 PM\']
[/quote]
Man. Something in the water the past couple weeks, I guess.
[/quote]
Medical marijuana? ;-)

tpirfan28

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 04:21:52 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'168746\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 04:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'Richie\' post=\'168745\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 05:00 PM\']
[/quote]
And just as I can think that you've earned your first strike.
[/quote]
Roger, I do believe this is a record!  Nobody's gotten a strike this fast since 1984! :)

(Roger nods like "yeah...whatever...just something to get me some camera time)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

alfonzos

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »
Drew is okay. I've enjoyed his jokes but I was disappointed to his lack of reaction to the contestant who admitted she had never heard of Plinko. Barker would have milked that for a minute of material at least. Carey just carried on.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 06:02:38 PM »
It is truly a shame that Richie won't be around to see the reminder that when you say "I don't care about your opinion", you automatically give up your right to complain about theirs.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168757\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 07:02 PM\']
It is truly a shame that Richie won't be around to see the reminder that when you say "I don't care about your opinion", you automatically give up your right to complain about theirs.
[/quote]
...and when told that he'd be spending some quality time in the Isolation Booth, he Godwin'ed.

I win! ;-)

tvwxman

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'168758\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 06:06 PM\']
...and when told that he'd be spending some quality time in the Isolation Booth, he Godwin'ed.
[/quote]
Godwin'ed ?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 06:39:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'168759\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 03:29 PM\']
Godwin'ed ?
[/quote]
A misappropriation of Godwin's Law.

dzinkin

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168760\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 07:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'168759\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 03:29 PM\']
Godwin'ed ?
[/quote]
A misappropriation of Godwin's Law.
[/quote]
If Calvin can verb, so can I. :-P

Specifically, in his response Richie referred to my "hitlerism" (sic).  Among other things that are not appropriate for this board.

clemon79

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'168763\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 03:54 PM\']
If Calvin can verb, so can I. :-P
[/quote]
Well, it's more about the common misconception that Godwin's law states that the mention of Austria's favorite house painter invalidates a given argument, where the law only states that the comparison is more likely to occur the longer a discussion continues.

Robert Hutchinson

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168765\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 07:12 PM\']Well, it's more about the common misconception that Godwin's law states that the mention of Austria's favorite house painter invalidates a given argument, where the law only states that the comparison is more likely to occur the longer a discussion continues.[/quote]
Which eventually led to the irritating ideas that A) mentioning anything Nazi, no matter how out of left field, is a way to automatically stop a discussion, and B) that a discussion can be "Godwin'd" even when it's legitimately related to Nazism.

As for Drew not reacting to the Plinko contestant's lack of knowledge, I think that was a combination of him not knowing that much about Plinko, and his growing irritation at how she couldn't understand "X is the first number, or Y is the last number".
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

ITSBRY

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'168674\' date=\'Nov 3 2007, 04:34 PM\']
Personally, I disagree with your assessment, also because the show feels like it's been given a huge booster shot.

At least now, the excitement appears natural, and Drew appears to be having a genuinely fun time. The Halloween episode tells me that they're having fun at Television City.
[/quote]

Exactly! There's a sense of fun that hasn't been present on the show for years. What I find refreshing is Drew's interaction with the rest of the staff on-air. He goes out of his way to thank the models and treat them like they're actually part of the show. Before Bob's legal troubles, the show seemed like a family. That sense of family is back and it's very noticable.

I did wonder how PIR would fare without Barker, but now that he's gone I'm enjoying the show more than I ever have. I can't imagine Barker ever agreeing to do a halloween show in costume. This was nice to see.

From what I can see from the more recently-taped episodes, Drew is getting comfortable in his role very quickly. I think he'll only improve...I just hope he stays humble and keeps enjoying the gig.

One thing I'm particularly excited about are the plans for the road trips (again, something Barker would never do). I think this will breathe even more life into the show by giving people around the country the chance to participate. Can't wait to see how that plays out. If they come anywhere near Indy, I know I'll be there.

dzinkin

Drew Carey Report Card
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 05:47:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168765\' date=\'Nov 4 2007, 08:12 PM\']
Well, it's more about the common misconception that Godwin's law states that the mention of Austria's favorite house painter invalidates a given argument, where the law only states that the comparison is more likely to occur the longer a discussion continues.
[/quote]
True enough, and you'll notice that I don't apply it to a certain banned member.  The law never accounted for people who try to start arguments with a mention of said house painter. ;-)