Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: does the writerrs strike affect tpir  (Read 4600 times)

toetyper

does the writerrs strike affect tpir
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:36:51 AM »
i havent heard anything

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
I was wondering too how the strike affected games...

- I don't think TPIR  is affected
 - Temptation probably is...but it could be an improvement (ducks)
 - Wheel, Millionaire, J!, and Crosswords I don't know about

NBC did a piece about the strike, and said games would be one of the first affected (right up there with the late nights and soaps) and showed Deal...I would think Deal would be completely immune since there is no writing needed.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

rigsby

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:21:36 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'168883\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 08:47 AM\']
 - Temptation probably is...but it could be an improvement (ducks)
[/quote]

You mean they paid someone to come up with lots o' love?

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »
Well, considering we've all heard about how far ahead Crosswords and Temptation taped, I'd say they probably *won't* be affected, at least unless the strike goes on for months and months.

TPiR, I don't know about--but *somebody* has to write Rich's copy.  Is that person WGA-affiliated?
czambo@mac.com

rugrats1

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 10:42:34 AM »
Unless the mere planning of game shows comes under the jurisdiction of the WGA, I don't think game shows such as TPIR and Deal would be affected, though shows that use a quiz-format, such as Jeopardy, Millionaire and, of course, Temptation, might.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'168889\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 10:42 AM\']
Unless the mere planning of game shows comes under the jurisdiction of the WGA, I don't think game shows such as TPIR and Deal would be affected, though shows that use a quiz-format, such as Jeopardy, Millionaire and, of course, Temptation, might.[/quote]
You're confusing "writing" with "question writing."  There are writers on just about every show you can imagine.  As Clay said in the post just above yours, Rich Fields doesn't make up what he's going to say.  A writer writes it for him to say.  Whether those people are union writers is a different issue, but even though a game show might not have Q&A, it still has writers.

As far as question writers go, a month or so ago, before the strike even started, union writers who weren't getting union treatment walked off of Temptation.  That show continued to move forward with non-union writers.  They may be done with the season by now, but in any case, they're not affected.  I'm pretty sure Jeopardy writers are members of the union.  I don't know about Millionaire or Crosswords, but I know the producers' goal is to save money wherever possible, so especially with a new show like Crosswords, my guess is that they're non-union.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:27:36 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cool245

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:26:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'168888\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 10:42 AM\']
TPiR, I don't know about--but *somebody* has to write Rich's copy.  Is that person WGA-affiliated?
[/quote]

How hard could it possibly be for someone else to write "eat cookies for a tasty treat"?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' post=\'168893\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 11:26 AM\']
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'168888\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 10:42 AM\']
[/quote]How hard could it possibly be for someone else to write "eat cookies for a tasty treat"?[/quote]
In the first place, it doesn't mater, it's still somebody's job.

In the second place, you'd be surprised how much of that stuff actually has to be done.  It's time consuming, no matter how simple YOU think it might be.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DJDustman

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »
Screw the union, I'll write the prize plugs for TPIR. Where do I apply? :)

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 12:17:54 PM »
"WWTBAM" is union.  "DOND" isn't--neither is "...5th Grader?" or "Lyrics," as far as I can tell.  "Singing Bee" is.  "1v100" is.  "PO10" isn't.

In general, whenever you see on network television the "written by" credit, they're union.  Cable and syndication, not so much, but if the show's produced by one of the big corporations, "written by" generally means "WGA."  Adam Sandler's credit on "TPIR" is "editorial consultant"--the writers on "PO10," which include a "WWTBAM" writer, are credited as "game producers."

jmangin

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »
I always thought descriptions for prizes/grocery products are kept in a database, and the necessary text cut & pasted in to the copy each time that item is offered (excluding things such as cars with various options and other prizes whose descriptions might change).

Is this generally how it's done?

tpirfan28

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' post=\'168899\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 12:00 PM\']
Screw the union, I'll write the prize plugs for TPIR. Where do I apply? :)
[/quote]
I'll be yer assistant....and I start right now. :)

(from the script):

RICH:  And here's the STAR of The Price is Right, "Drew Carey"

(later):

RICH:  It's....a NEW CAR!

/emphasis mine
//still wouldn't matter, but worth a try
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

goongas

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 01:38:42 PM »
Syndicated WWTBAM is done taping this week for the season, so I would imagine all the remaining questions were written before the strike started.

HYHYBT

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »
Specifically for TPIR announcing, of course someone had to write that.... but hasn't most of it already been written? It's not like someone has to write "Here it comes! Television's most exciting hour..." over again for each show, and the cookies will still be "a tasty treat" next week; even if this did affect them, as far as I can see they'd just have to stick to products they already use, or that are sponsored by someone supplying their own words. The showcases, now... but it seems like something that could be worked around much better than on another show.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168892\' date=\'Nov 6 2007, 12:26 PM\']
I don't know about Millionaire or Crosswords, but I know the producers' goal is to save money wherever possible, so especially with a new show like Crosswords, my guess is that they're non-union.
[/quote]

Didn't I read that the crossword clues (and the whole freakin' puzzleboard) were done by the same person or persons who create the daily USA Today puzzles?  

If that's the case, they may be union, but not in the WGA union.