Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quick thought/question about the writers strike.  (Read 4126 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Quick thought/question about the writers strike.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'169408\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 11:36 AM\']
I haven't heard or read a single thing about NBN recently which is leaving me to believe that ABC rightly ditched it for Duel.  I can only hope.
[/quote]
With a comment like that, I'll be amused as hell if Duel is a huge flop.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if NBN gets launched very quickly if the strikes lasts too long.

Now here's a question for you with more TV knowledge than me...ESPN has NBA games every Wednesday and Friday.  Since they now have this whole "ESPN on ABC" deal, could they shift games over to ABC to fill voids?  Or are contracts specific to ESPN and ABC individually?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 05:00:08 PM »
There are usually separate contracts for cable and network deals for sports, so I'm guessing that The Mouse can't swap a game from their cable entity to their network one without getting permission from the league.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'169417\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 01:03 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'169408\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 11:36 AM\']I haven't heard or read a single thing about NBN recently which is leaving me to believe that ABC rightly ditched it for Duel.  I can only hope.[/quote]With a comment like that, I'll be amused as hell if Duel is a huge flop.[/quote]Here's my understanding of the rules for Duel:

Players have ten chips to place next to the four answers to a question. Chips next to wrong answers are removed, chips next to right answers are refunded (they may be multiplied, that part wasn't made clear.) If you don't have a chip next to the right answer, you're out of the game.

At least Caesar's Challenge had the slot machine and the chrome. This is just People Answering Questions. There must be something I'm missing.

/And yet, PokerFace sits on the bench, waiting for the coach to put him in.
Travis L. Eberle

colonial

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 08:59:06 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'169408\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 02:36 PM\']
I haven't heard or read a single thing about NBN recently which is leaving me to believe that ABC rightly ditched it for Duel.  I can only hope.
[/quote]

According to this Futon Critic article, Duel is actually taking NBN's week-long stunt slot.  NBN may return sometime next year...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7496

tvmitch

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 09:36:31 AM »
Here is a TV Squad article that lists all the "Plan B" shows for the WGA strike. Nothing we don't know here, but it sums up all the network options well.
You should follow me on Twitter

Unrealtor

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'169487\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 08:36 AM\']
Here is a TV Squad article that lists all the "Plan B" shows for the WGA strike. Nothing we don't know here, but it sums up all the network options well.
[/quote]

One thing missing there that I expected to find was more primetime editions of TPIR. It would seem like something easy (and relatively cheap) to produce, and make a natural pair with Po10, with Drew's obligatory jokes about doing one show in NYC and one from "CBS Television City in HOOOOOOOLYWOOD!" (as Rich Fields puts it.)

While I'm thinking about it, this thread seems like a good place to ask: Aren't Jeopardy's writers WGA? If so, does anybody know what the plan is when they run out of new game material?
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Mike Tennant

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'169401\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 01:15 PM\'][quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'169245\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 07:42 PM\']-Nothing But the Truth[/quote]Also, "Nothing"'s been renamed "Your Moment of Truth."[/quote]Apparently, naming your show Nothing But the Truth practically guarantees its name will change very early in its run.

uncamark

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 02:41:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'169520\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 12:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'169487\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 08:36 AM\']
[/quote]

One thing missing there that I expected to find was more primetime editions of TPIR. It would seem like something easy (and relatively cheap) to produce, and make a natural pair with Po10, with Drew's obligatory jokes about doing one show in NYC and one from "CBS Television City in HOOOOOOOLYWOOD!" (as Rich Fields puts it.)

While I'm thinking about it, this thread seems like a good place to ask: Aren't Jeopardy's writers WGA? If so, does anybody know what the plan is when they run out of new game material?
[/quote]

Well, when you've been on 23 years, you've got all that material, most of it timeless enough that it could be reused and no one would know the difference.  Not even the geeks, since GSN isn't rerunning 80s shows these days.  (Yes, "J!"'s writers are union.)

Just for pickiness, Rich never says "Television City."  Ever since 33 was "renamed," the opening says "From the Bob Barker Studio at CBS in Hollywood..."  From the fact that Goodson shows barely included the "Television City in Hollywood" tag, I suspect that Goodson was against using it and used his clout to avoid it.  One week early in "TPIR"'s run had Johnny O saying in the opening "A fortune in fabulous prizes could go to these people here at Television City in Hollywood..." and "Feud" had Gene add TV City to the standard signoff, but that's about it.  No other Goodson show had the TV City tag in announcer's copy.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 04:21:10 PM »
"Television City" made its way into one of the variations of the "Tattle Tales" opening when it came back in '82.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 06:10:19 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'169539\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 01:21 PM\']
"Television City" made its way into one of the variations of the "Tattle Tales" opening when it came back in '82.
[/quote]
Places, plz.