Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My experience on Aussie "Millionaire"  (Read 1830 times)

pownster

My experience on Aussie "Millionaire"
« on: November 13, 2007, 03:11:08 AM »
I had the opportunity and pleasure last night of attending one of the live airings of "Who Wants to Be a (Multi)Millionaire" at the Channel Nine studios here in Melbourne. To say it was an awesome experience would be an understatement. I not only had the chance to ask questions of the big man himself - Eddie McGuire - but I managed to score a seat directly behind the "Hot Seat" and get my big head on the small screen as well.

I was amazed at how small the set actually was (I think is looks EVEN SMALLER in person than it does on TV - and that's saying something). The show is filmed in the famous Studio 9 here in Melbourne, and holds roughly 80 audience members. We actually had about 5 or 6 empty seats for our airing, not that it dampened the enthusiasm of the crowd.

Eddie is a great host, and ad-libs everything except the contestant introductions. Eddie told us that in the early days of the show (back in 1998), a delegation from ABC America came out to Australia to see our version (in preparation for Regis' foray onto the GS stage), and they were amazed that he didn't need a teleprompter for the whole show. He was a real master to watch in action.

And then there were the contestants. I'm not going to give away any results here (in case some people have yet to see the show), but let's say a certain contestant made it most of the way up the tree during the course of the episode.

At the end of the show - to send us all out on a high - they ran a raffle where two lucky contestant members were drawn out to win $50 each.

Oh - I should mention that the warm-up guy/prompter was none other than Shawn "Cossie" Cosgrove - the former announcer of "The Price Is Right". He is truly awesome in person as well and was on for a chat with everyone and anyone.

I really look forward to the chance of going back to see another show in the near future!
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

geno57

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:47:49 AM »
Chris, Thanks for the article!  All I know is, your beautiful country is one that I long to visit.

tvmitch

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »
Wow. That's stunning that Eddie ad-libs. I know he's great on camera...but coming from watching Regis muddle through the four tapings I attended, with what seemed like infinite stop-downs, that would be a welcome change of pace.
You should follow me on Twitter

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »
Great to hear.  Did the Aussie version's look-and-feel and its music matched the recent UK's revamp?
-Sanford

TravisP

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
I know the Aussie Millionaire studio is small but not THAT small in terms to audience seating. Even our Deal or No Deal studio audience holds up to 150 people and that is inside a converted shed. It's same with Chris Tarrant, he only uses the auto-cue for the contestants profile and Fastest Finger. Everything else he ad-libs.

jdhernandez

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »
See... THAT is why I love the foreign versions of Millionaire. Where are the great ad-libbing hosts who don't need a teleprompter? This is another reason why I want to visit both Great Britain, and Australia.

Thank you for posting that tale of your visit, I am loving the new Aussie Millionaire. =)
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

pownster

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'169402\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 01:30 PM\']
Great to hear.  Did the Aussie version's look-and-feel and its music matched the recent UK's revamp?
[/quote]

We have decided to use combinations of both the old and new. The opening titles are ALMOST exactly the same as the current British version (except for the "Switch" icon, and the money tree with its $5 million top prize). We also use the new music for the titles - however, for much of the backgreound music between games, we use the old backgrounds. We are definitely using the new music for the game play (and I just happen to like it - especially the $0-$1000 track). The closing credits also use the new music.

It was also good to see that the network put some expense in bringing the set up to a better standard - with the ability to change the colours of the lighting on the set. It's slightly different from the British set, with lights embedded in the set behind the audience enclosure.

I'm really loving the new episodes - in front of and behind the screen. I haven't seen any ratings figures yet, but I'm guessing they'd be really healthy, considering the number of people I speak to at work who have been following the progress of the contestants.

I hope we keep the show going in its current primetime slot (7pm Monday - 90 min)
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

tvmitch

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
And for those who have access and are into that sort of thing, check out Aussie Millionaire on Diwana. The entire season is available so far, and it's completely refreshing and fantastic to watch. They're doing a great job.

If you need an invite, email me through the board.
You should follow me on Twitter

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 01:10:37 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'169413\' date=\'Nov 13 2007, 02:26 PM\']
And for those who have access and are into that sort of thing, check out Aussie Millionaire on Diwana. The entire season is available so far, and it's completely refreshing and fantastic to watch. They're doing a great job.

If you need an invite, email me through the board.
[/quote]

If the shows are live, are they doing the time limit on answering that the UK version did in their live shows?

And have they had any major technical problems yet, for those who want to see Eddie tap dancing and sweating on live TV?

WhammyPower

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 01:15:40 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'169515\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 12:10 PM\']If the shows are live, are they doing the time limit on answering that the UK version did in their live shows?[/quote]
Eddie has said that if the they feel like the contestant's taking too long, they will put up a 60 second clock, and the contestant must make a decision then.  If he doesn't, he is assumed to be walking away.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 01:16:32 PM by WhammyPower »

TravisP

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 04:53:13 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'169515\' date=\'Nov 14 2007, 01:10 PM\']
And have they had any major technical problems yet, for those who want to see Eddie tap dancing and sweating on live TV?
[/quote]

I doubt it. The live production is second nature to Channel Nine. They've done it countless times before with the celebrity specials.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:53:33 PM by TravisP »