Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: what game show had the best end game?  (Read 25431 times)

uncamark

what game show had the best end game?
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »
In the beginning, they did allow using hands in the Winner's Circle--Clark said that the straw that broke the camel's back was Ruth Buzzi, who was so demonstrative with her hands (and I assume hit them real bad the week she was on) that Stewart immediately changed the rules and put the straps on the cluegiver's chair.

ed1202

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2007, 02:58:11 PM »
My pick would be the "bridge run" in Pitfall.  If just for the "eye candy" aspect of it.  As a ten year old, I just remember thinking how cool that all looked.  Now I know why they went broke.

-Ed

tvmitch

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'170097\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 11:33 AM\']
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'170077\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 04:13 AM\']
"Here is a list of places Carmen may have travelled."[/quote]
Yes, thank you for reminding me.  One of the things I'll go back and watch over and over is one of the early bonus-round wins on that show, on a map of Africa no less.  One of the very few end games that required both mental AND physical effort to win.

As far as kids games go, I thought the Double Dare end game was quite exciting.  For visual spectacle, the three-minute Temple Run was hard to beat too.
[/quote]
Oh, man. That Carmen endgame brings back memories. I'd always feel bad for the kids who got Africa (or even Asia) because the game was that much harder. I loved the consolation prizes on that show too. I always wanted a world band radio.

The Temple Run was great except when you knew that the kids didn't have a chance. About a minute in, you could tell. "These kids don't have a chance, they're not putting together the monkey right." And then it's two minutes of smoke and mirrors, literally. I'd compare that endgame to NYSI ...sometimes you know the contestant just doesn't have a chance to win, and when that happens, the endgame rating goes down in my book.

However, if the kids did well and were smart, it was a great endgame.
You should follow me on Twitter

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'170127\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 04:30 PM\']
The Temple Run was great except when you knew that the kids didn't have a chance. About a minute in, you could tell. "These kids don't have a chance, they're not putting together the monkey right." And then it's two minutes of smoke and mirrors, literally. I'd compare that endgame to NYSI ...sometimes you know the contestant just doesn't have a chance to win, and when that happens, the endgame rating goes down in my book.

However, if the kids did well and were smart, it was a great endgame.
[/quote]

What was always so frustrating to me was when the Temple Run seemed set up for the kids to fail. For example, they'd be in a room with three doors, and one goes right into the room with the Legend of the Day. So they assemble the monkey or shatter the correct pot or whatever, and the door they actually need doesn't open, so they have to navigate through two more rooms, one of which always seemed to have a Temple Guard. And I hated the Temple Run just for the reason that this seemed to happen SO OFTEN.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2007, 04:51:15 PM »
If I can add one more for nostalgia's sake--the Room-to-Room Romp.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

TimK2003

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2007, 08:09:22 PM »
Maybe not the best, but definitely worth an honorable mention:

The (first?) end game from Remote Control -- Having a set of TVs in every possible direction showing videos with sounds of each playing at the same time.  Shades of a first generation Wonderwall???

Jay Temple

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2007, 08:55:09 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170104\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 10:53 AM\']
In the beginning, they did allow using hands in the Winner's Circle--Clark said that the straw that broke the camel's back was Ruth Buzzi, who was so demonstrative with her hands (and I assume hit them real bad the week she was on) that Stewart immediately changed the rules and put the straps on the cluegiver's chair.
[/quote]
Is he sure she wasn't just trying to shoo Arte Johnson away?
That must have been very early in the show's run, as the listings from November 1973 on are pretty complete, and this is the first time I've heard of her appearing on the show. (Come to think of it, this would put it earlier than the Ed Asner bonus round where he acts out an iron for THINGS YOU PRESS.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'170153\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 05:09 PM\']The (first?) end game from Remote Control -- Having a set of TVs in every possible direction showing videos with sounds of each playing at the same time.  Shades of a first generation Wonderwall?[/quote]Not even close, really. You could achieve the same effect of the Wall of Video by using one screen. You couldn't rotate through 49 answers on one screen to replicate the Wonderwall.
Travis L. Eberle

toetyper

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »
oh , man i TOTALLY forgot about WITWICS?    if u think about it; its the most gameshowesque of all the 90s kiddie game shows wasnt it?'

BobbyLankford_83

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2007, 09:56:24 PM »
My picks for best game show bonus rounds:

Super Match from Match Game
Fast Money from Family Feud
Winner's Circle from $10/20/25/50/100K Pyramids
Alphabetics from Password Plus
Super Password bonus round
Car Round from Classic Concentration
Double Play from Jack Narz Concentration
Wheel Of Fortune Bonus Round
Final Jeopardy!
Solo Game from Now You See It
Face The Devil from The Joker's Wild
Beat The Dragon from Tic Tac Dough
Bonus Island from Bullseye
Chain Reaction bonus Round which was shades of a show to come three years later, Go!
Break The Bank 1976-77 bonus round

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2007, 11:46:17 PM »
Jesus, after that, are there any LEFT?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »
[quote name=\'BobbyLankford_83\' post=\'170160\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 09:56 PM\']
[/quote]
There, fixed that.

/no, really, he said just one
//damn
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2007, 12:35:58 AM »
[quote name=\'BobbyLankford_83\' post=\'170160\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM\']
Break The Bank 1976-77 bonus round
[/quote]
Forgive me for looking like a dipwad, but that show had an endgame?  How'd it work?
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2007, 02:11:29 AM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'170174\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 12:35 AM\'][quote name=\'BobbyLankford_83\' post=\'170160\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM\']Break The Bank 1976-77 bonus round[/quote]Forgive me for looking like a dipwad, but that show had an endgame?  How'd it work?[/quote]
With the huge caveat that I'm relying on Wikipedia to back up my memory, it was virtually identical to what Tic Tac Dough would later use. Pick 1 of 9 numbers celebs at a time, and reach $2000 before finding the BUST card.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2007, 05:59:03 AM »
[quote name=\'BobbyLankford_83\' post=\'170160\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM\']

---snip---

Final Jeopardy!

---snip---

[/quote]

Art Fleming version: maybe.

Trebek version: aw, hells no!

-M