Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frustrations with Pyramid  (Read 6061 times)

ITSBRY

Frustrations with Pyramid
« on: September 26, 2003, 11:45:08 AM »
I'm as big a purist as the next guy.  I miss the celeb intros, the warm set, the trilons and an \"actual\" theme, but I can live with all of that if they'd just dump all those annoying 'jumpy' camera shots.

Here's my issue with this:

It was great that they added the on-stage score displays, but the camera jumps during the front games totally negate the rationale for having these.  You don't see them while the players are playing a round.  I don't really pay attention to the score because I'm used to having it in front of me.  When it's not there, I get lost and forget what's going on.  It sucks out the play-along value in my opinion.

In the WC, it's even worse.  What's the point of even having the Pyramid there?  The only time you actually see it is when they display the first subject.  The rest of the WC round, the camera is jumping around to tight shots of the players and the Pyramid isn't even visible because the categories are displayed on the screen.  And I'm sorry, but the \"doot, doot\" and the audience reaction between category changes is so necessary.

I think this is the key element that this revival has really messed up.  The WC is no fun to watch.  When I watch 80s Pyramid, I'm talking out loud giving clues during the WC.  I have NO desire to do that when I'm watching \"Pyramid\".

They've done so much right, but these little things make me totally uninterested in watching.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 12:17:44 PM »
I echo your sentiments. I also think just \"Pyramid\" is a dull title.  Doesn't \"The $250,000 Pyramid\" sound so much better, even if they make a rule to insure the top prize is never awarded?  Heck, they could call it \"Winner's Circle\" and it would have more impact, my thought is to light up a rail segment for right answers that would connect to form a circle.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 01:13:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 26 2003, 11:17 AM\']I echo your sentiments. I also think just \"Pyramid\" is a dull title.  Doesn't \"The $250,000 Pyramid\" sound so much better, even if they make a rule to insure the top prize is never awarded?  Heck, they could call it \"Winner's Circle\" and it would have more impact, my thought is to light up a rail segment for right answers that would connect to form a circle.[/quote]
As much as I hate to give Sony credit for putting any real thought into the show, I think they may have figured out what I did a long time ago.  When the original show put a dollar figure in the title, they forced all future versions to raise the ante.  (50 to 25 doesn't count because 50 was a flop.)  While \"Pyramid\" may be a dull title, at least they put an end to having to up the ante.

I had an idea some time ago of how to go beyond 25/100.  If anyone wins $10,000, he has an opportunity at the end of the show to double all his winnings from the Winners' Circle in another trip, that works this way.  There's only one category.  You get to give one clue (or maybe two), and your partner has 15 seconds to guess the category.  This round and the new show would be called the Golden Pyramid.  (If two players tie with $10,000, they play together.  Other rules about who gives, who receives and which celeb joins you may be added.)

[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Sep 26 2003, 10:45AM\']
I miss the celeb intros, the warm set, the trilons and an \"actual\" theme, but I can live with all of that if they'd just dump all those annoying 'jumpy' camera shots.

Here's my issue with this:

It was great that they added the on-stage score displays, but the camera jumps during the front games totally negate the rationale for having these. You don't see them while the players are playing a round. I don't really pay attention to the score because I'm used to having it in front of me. When it's not there, I get lost and forget what's going on. It sucks out the play-along value in my opinion.

In the WC, it's even worse. What's the point of even having the Pyramid there? The only time you actually see it is when they display the first subject. The rest of the WC round, the camera is jumping around to tight shots of the players and the Pyramid isn't even visible because the categories are displayed on the screen. And I'm sorry, but the \"doot, doot\" and the audience reaction between category changes is so necessary.[/quote]

I agree with much of what you said, too.  I miss the old way of introducing celebs.  (OTOH, isn't it ironic that this way was not the norm when Bill Cullen was playing?)  I hope before too long, they'll start using clips of big wins.

As to the scoreboards, I'd like them to do what you say and a little more.  Show the team's current scoreboard along with the clock, the answer and both players at all times.  Here \"a little bit more\":  In at least the sixth round, show the other team's score in a lower corner of the screen.  If they're not going to do that, do what they presently do in Round 6, but also add \"n to tie\" when that's all they can do.

I don't think the audience reaction is important between categories in the WC, but I agree that you need the doot-doot.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

LA the DJ

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 01:27:29 PM »
From what I've heard, as the show went through development, it also went by The $100,000 Pyramid and The $1,000,000 Pyramid.

Technically, would they go by the old way of naming, This would be The $15,000 Pyramid, though they'd most likely go by 25 (Top dollar value that can be won in a show), or 100 (tournament value).

The basics of the old show are there, and IMO this is the only reason the show survives.

I just wish the judging were more similar to the old show that everyone is used to. I'm tired of the reciever giving a form of the word, and the giver expecting to advance to the next word, but doesn't.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 02:16:00 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Sep 26 2003, 10:45 AM\']It was great that they added the on-stage score displays, but the camera jumps during the front games totally negate the rationale for having these.  You don't see them while the players are playing a round.  I don't really pay attention to the score because I'm used to having it in front of me.  When it's not there, I get lost and forget what's going on.  It sucks out the play-along value in my opinion.

In the WC, it's even worse.  What's the point of even having the Pyramid there?  The only time you actually see it is when they display the first subject.  The rest of the WC round, the camera is jumping around to tight shots of the players and the Pyramid isn't even visible because the categories are displayed on the screen.  And I'm sorry, but the \"doot, doot\" and the audience reaction between category changes is so necessary.
[/quote]
I agree with you on all counts. I like the standard set-up that worked so well in the past; the two-shot, receiver on left, giver on right. I wouldn't mind it being done vice-versa (as is done on the current shows), if they'd stick to one standard shot and stop cutting to different cameras.

As for the front game, the same standard shot could work, just show the whole desk, and stick there.

However, I don't think any current game show (esp. one from Sony) is going to stick to traditional camera shots; it's too \"boring\" nowadays. We have shows like \"MTV Cribs\" using the latest camera-shooting styles, and it seems every other show wants to use some new idea for camerawork, no matter how annoying it may be (and yes, \"Cribs\" annoys the living hell out of me).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 06:35:11 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

LA the DJ

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 02:55:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 26 2003, 01:16 PM\']
However, I don't think any current game show (esp. one from Sony) is going to stick to traditional camera shots; it's too "boring" nowadays. [/quote]
 It's that \"Sony Style\" ya know...
Even if it makes the game more difficult to watch, it sure is purty.
Same explanation for the set.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 03:11:45 PM »
It could be worse. They could start using hand held cameras.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MarkBarrett

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 06:09:55 PM »
The new Pyramid can be educational?  Today the word was \"flannel\" and the clue given was, \"It's the kind of shirt lesbians wear.\"

The country singer celeb didn't know what to guess when the contestant came up with that clue.

That part of the show can be added to Outrageous Game Show Moments 6.  I also liked the clue for Famous Janes: Mrs. Tarzan

ITSBRY

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 06:25:40 PM »
However, I don't think any current game show (esp. one from Sony) is going to stick to traditional camera shots; it's too \"boring\" nowadays.

You're probably right and that's sad...if I were in charge, I would hope that making the best show possible would be a higher priority to me than using the \"hippest\" camera techniques.  

What blows my mind...how could any reasonable person watch an episode of 80s Pyramid side by side with the current version and not immediately see that they've not gotten something right?  Like I said, I can live with the set, the \"theme\" and the other changes (some of which ARE good), but on Pyramid...if you mess up the WC, you've messed up the show.  It was my biggest fear the revival and I KNEW it was gonna happen.  :(

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 06:36:49 PM »
[quote name=\'MarkBarrett\' date=\'Sep 26 2003, 05:09 PM\'] The new Pyramid can be educational?  Today the word was "flannel" and the clue given was, "It's the kind of shirt lesbians wear."
 [/quote]
 Wasn't a clue like that used for the word \"Birkenstocks?\"
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

vtown7

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2003, 01:14:07 PM »
Wasn't a clue like that used for the word \"Birkenstocks?\"

I think, IIRC, it was \"these are the sandals that lesbians wear\".

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, could someone tell me where the money deejays won went? Charity? Listeners? Or themselves (please no)?  I'm just thinking that just because you're a DJ doesn't make you an appropriate pyramid player.

Here endeth my speech!

Cheers,

Ryan :)

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2003, 01:30:04 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Sep 27 2003, 12:14 PM\']
Wasn't a clue like that used for the word "Birkenstocks?"

I think, IIRC, it was "these are the sandals that lesbians wear".
 [/quote]
 Wasn't it \"ugly sandals?

I'm just thinking that just because you're a DJ doesn't make you an appropriate pyramid player.

No, it just means that you will go on the radio in a big city and talk and talk and talk about it because DJs have enormous amounts of airtime to fill and will do anything to fill it.

When he was around, Bill Veeck loved to use DJs in promotions (such as ostrich races) because he knew they'd talk about them at ridiculous length and were willing to do just about anything.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2003, 05:08:46 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Sep 27 2003, 12:14 PM\']Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, could someone tell me where the money deejays won went? Charity? Listeners? Or themselves (please no)? [/quote]
Chris, tell this guy how much most people in radio make.  They deserve a shot at the big money as much as any of us schlubs.

Fedya

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 05:40:32 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 27 2003, 04:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Sep 27 2003, 12:14 PM\']Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, could someone tell me where the money deejays won went? Charity? Listeners? Or themselves (please no)? [/quote]
Chris, tell this guy how much most people in radio make.  They deserve a shot at the big money as much as any of us schlubs. [/quote]
 I don't have a problem with radio people going on game shows and making money (I was a newsreader for my college radio station, so I know it's not easy), but I didn't particularly like the idea of having an entire week dedicated to morning DJs playing Pyramid along with musicians (and Pyramid promoting their shows by Chyroning them; regular contestants don't get their named Chyroned as far as I can tell).  Some of the men seemed overly obnoxious.

If radio people make it through the normal contestant search procedures, fine.  But I get the impression this week wasn't cast that way.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

MCArroyo1

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2003, 05:42:26 PM »
I think, IIRC, it was \"these are the sandals that lesbians wear\".
Wasn't it \"ugly sandals?
If I recall correctly (and how infrequently that happens), he referred to them as \"clunky sandals that lesbians wear.\"