Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Duel" host named...  (Read 8087 times)

Sodboy13

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'170251\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 12:10 PM\']
QFT.  Way back in the college days when I interned at CLTV, Greeny was weekend sports there.  Believe me, he has personality and I hope he does well.

ObChicagoBroadcasting:  Odd to see how he and his co-worker, Rob Goldman, traveled two different paths from that job.
[/quote]

Yep, while Greeny took the road to national recognition in Bristol, Rob Goldman took the road up to a Waukegan apartment complex to meet a 15-year-old girl for, er, "things."  Unfortunately for Rob, the girl was actually a Lake County Detective, and there went the ol' career.  Whoopsies!

/and his wife was 7 months preggers at the time
//I'm sensing a potential contestant for "The Moment of Truth"
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

weaklink75

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
The commercials have started airing today during the college football coverage (makes sense)...

Neumms

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'170243\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 12:34 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'170202\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 03:25 PM\']
It wouldn't be hard to come up with five people who could audition worse than Mike Greenburg. The point is that it wouldn't be hard to find at least one person who would audition better. By being likable or amusing, for example.
[/quote]

You're judging the man's hosting ability because you don't like him on his opinion-based sports radio show? Good job.
[/quote]

Well, yeah. (He's also on SportsCenter.) I'm not sentencing him to the chair, I'm simply expressing doubt as part of making conversation.

Is he going to change his whole personality to do the game show? I wouldn't think so. If he had any charm, I would think it would have come out. But if "Duel" is a good game, though, I'd love to be proven wrong.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Duel" host named...
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'171143\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 10:48 AM\']
Is he going to change his whole personality to do the game show?
[/quote]
Howie did. Saget, too, to a lesser extent. It's possible.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
"Duel" host named...
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »
I like Greeny's personality fine, but from what I understand about this show, it sounds like it'll be a somewhat serious affair, requiring more of his newscaster persona rather than his talk show one. I see it being a similar role to Pat Kiernan's on "Studio 7"/"Grand Slam" or Magnus Magnusson on "Mastermind".
@lambertman

Neumms

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171148\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 02:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'171143\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 10:48 AM\']
Is he going to change his whole personality to do the game show?
[/quote]
Howie did. Saget, too, to a lesser extent. It's possible.
[/quote]

You're right. One point, though, is that Howie and Saget weren't on top of the heap when they moved to game shows. Greenburg, as ESPN golden boy, may not have the same motivation.

clemon79

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'171173\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 08:08 AM\']
Greenburg, as ESPN golden boy
[/quote]
If this is in fact true, this shows you just how long it's been since I've paid the first bit of attention to ESPN.

uncamark

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »
The promos have been running for a couple of weeks now (I first saw them on "Dancing" a couple of weeks ago).  However, they weren't much more than a logo and voice-overs of "contestants" bragging.  Are they now showing actual clips?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
"Duel" host named...
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 03:55:30 PM »
Remember: the grand prize for any ESPN personality is to be able to get the heck out of Bristol.

/except Berman, but something's wrong there anyway
@lambertman

tvwxman

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'171197\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 03:55 PM\']
Remember: the grand prize for any ESPN personality is to be able to get the heck out of Bristol.

/except Berman, but something's wrong there anyway
[/quote]
Not really. Berman is proud of his local tv heratage, which started at the NBC affil here. He really just doesn't want to leave CT.

And, he's a nice guy. Super nice. One of my greatest 'brush with greatness' stories is, last year, at a PGA tour stop here in Hartford, he was giving a kid an autograph when I walked by. He looked up and said to the kid "Well, 'hes' the weatherman, why don't you ask him if it's going to rain''?

Berman watches 'me'. That's friggin cool.

/Kenny Mayne is also cool.
//As is 'blacktackular super anchor Stuart Scott
///Who once asked me if we were related.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171198\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 01:03 PM\']
Not really. Berman is proud of his local tv heratage, which started at the NBC affil here. He really just doesn't want to leave CT.[/quote]
Prolly doesn't hurt that ESPN pays him enough that he doesn't *need* to leave Bristol. I understand many, many other ESPN personalities weren't so lucky.

BrandonFG

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 04:57:09 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'171196\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 03:53 PM\']
Are they now showing actual clips?
[/quote]
Yes. I saw a commercial during one of the ABC soaps today. Looked a lot like Set for Life's stage, but the camerawork and editing didn't give me a good chance to see too much.

/What?
//I was in a staff meeting.
///TVs everywhere!
////I also watch Crosswords during meetings.
/////Just don't tell my managers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:58:09 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cmjb13

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 06:40:07 PM »
I was talking with 2 people who worked on the show.

One said it's really good and a hit. The other said it's too complicated.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

"Duel" host named...
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171202\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 04:14 PM\']
Prolly doesn't hurt that ESPN pays him enough that he doesn't *need* to leave Bristol. I understand many, many other ESPN personalities weren't so lucky.
[/quote]
Back in summer-2003, I read ESPN: The Uncensored History, and it's a very fascinating book (as is The Big Show). One story that immediately comes to mind is a former boxing commentator (Sal something or other), who basically told the network to commit a vulgar action upon themselves. His closing remarks on-air was "Happiness is Bristol in my rear-view mirror." As a result, any time an employee left, fellow co-workers threw "rear-view mirror parties". :-)

That was early-80s, so I wonder how much changed...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Duel" host named...
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'171225\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 03:40 PM\']I was talking with 2 people who worked on the show.

One said it's really good and a hit. The other said it's too complicated.[/quote]That's interesting, because everything I've gleaned about the show indicates that it's a fairly simple "pick-the-right" answer multiplayer quiz. I fear how that could be complicated.
Travis L. Eberle