Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now You See It 1989  (Read 4359 times)

blugold94

Now You See It 1989
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 11:09:04 PM »
I really don't understand how a host can have shows not shown.  It's like Jim Kelly requesting that NFL Films never allow ESPN Classic to show Super Bowl Highlights of the Buffalo losses.

dzinkin

Now You See It 1989
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 11:22:32 PM »
[quote name=\'blugold94\' post=\'169794\' date=\'Nov 17 2007, 11:09 PM\']
I really don't understand how a host can have shows not shown.  It's like Jim Kelly requesting that NFL Films never allow ESPN Classic to show Super Bowl Highlights of the Buffalo losses.
[/quote]
We've discussed this in the past; legally there appears to be nothing that would stop Fremantle from telling Chuck to go screw if they were so inclined, so it's more of a courtesy move on Fremantle's part than anything else.  The company went to the trouble of asking permission from each host and celebrity guest (or the relevant estate), and where the answer was "no," Fremantle doesn't allow GSN to show those episodes.

Chelsea Thrasher

Now You See It 1989
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'169796\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 12:22 AM\']We've discussed this in the past; legally there appears to be nothing that would stop Fremantle from telling Chuck to go screw if they were so inclined, so it's more of a courtesy move on Fremantle's part than anything else.  The company went to the trouble of asking permission from each host and celebrity guest (or the relevant estate), and where the answer was "no," Fremantle doesn't allow GSN to show those episodes. [/quote]

I don't even think it's courtesy on *Fremantle's* part.  When GSN was first working on getting the G-T library in 1993-94, the rights were held by Jonathan Goodson, who would seem a lot more inclined to extend these courtisies than, say, Random Fremantle executive.    And as GSN's never really had any strong inclination to actually run Now You See It at any point in the last 10 years until recently, GSN's never broached the subject with Pearson or now Fremantle.  Remember, this is the show that they replaced with Click after only a couple of weeks - in a dead end weekend slot no less.

uncamark

Now You See It 1989
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 12:44:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'169797\' date=\'Nov 17 2007, 10:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'169796\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 12:22 AM\']We've discussed this in the past; legally there appears to be nothing that would stop Fremantle from telling Chuck to go screw if they were so inclined, so it's more of a courtesy move on Fremantle's part than anything else.  The company went to the trouble of asking permission from each host and celebrity guest (or the relevant estate), and where the answer was "no," Fremantle doesn't allow GSN to show those episodes. [/quote]

I don't even think it's courtesy on *Fremantle's* part.  When GSN was first working on getting the G-T library in 1993-94, the rights were held by Jonathan Goodson, who would seem a lot more inclined to extend these courtisies than, say, Random Fremantle executive.    And as GSN's never really had any strong inclination to actually run Now You See It at any point in the last 10 years until recently, GSN's never broached the subject with Pearson or now Fremantle.  Remember, this is the show that they replaced with Click after only a couple of weeks - in a dead end weekend slot no less.
[/quote]

And in their defense, I believe that they were forced to do that--Hearst-Argyle (or Kelly, I forget which syndicator had the show back then) may've reminded them that they were contracted to repurpose "Click" on weekends and had to run it somewhere.  You don't make those kinds of changes on an out-of-the-way weekend time slot just on serendipity or ratings, especially considering that GSN was done with the weekend kids block--you do that in prime time.  :)

Scrabbleship

Now You See It 1989
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170110\' date=\'Nov 20 2007, 12:44 PM\']
And in their defense, I believe that they were forced to do that--Hearst-Argyle (or Kelly, I forget which syndicator had the show back then)[/quote]

By that point, it was Hearst. The switchover from Kelly to Hearst took place concurrent with the studio move from Seattle to LA in part because KCPQ was swapped out to Tribune before Hearst bought KCRA and the syndication unit.

What I wonder is who holds the Click today. Didn't Hearst merge their syndication unit with NBC's several years back? Or did the rights post-syndication revert to Merv Griffin Entertainment?