Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amateur's Guide to Love  (Read 1959 times)

thomas_meighan

Amateur's Guide to Love
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »
This 13-week series has understandably been overlooked when discussing CBS's return to game shows in 1972, but "Amateur's Guide" nevertheless was a milestone of sorts. It was the network's first game since TTTT in 1968 and the first new daytime program added under Bud Grant's tenure which began in January of that year.

AGTL had been kicking around CBS for a while; it was mentioned in the New York Times article “Next Season’s TV Line-Up Starting to Take Form” (2-10-71) as one of the pilots CBS had viewed for a potential slot on the primetime fall schedule. That didn't happen, but the pilot did air as part of the "Comedy Playhouse" series on the evening of August 8, 1971. It was hosted by Joe Flynn and, according to the NYT listing, featured Rose Marie, Michael Landon, Dick Martin and Peter Marshall as panelists.

As CBS's reruns and serials got stale, its daytime ratings began to look more uncertain and Bud Grant was brought over from NBC to help the situation. Another NYT article, “C.B.S. Slipping From Long Daytime TV Lead" (1-21-72) mentioned that AGTL would be premiering on March 27, replacing "Gomer Pyle". It didn't last beyond the initial 13 weeks, probably because of the "Love, American Style" repeats on ABC (which the aforementioned article noted were quite popular). The various "guess-how-this-clip-ends" game shows over the years have seldom lasted longer than a year or so and AGTL didn't buck the trend.

Does anyone remember the show, particularly how the set looked? I've only ever seen the little photo in EOTVGS, 2nd edition, and wouldn't mind hearing more about it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:25:48 PM by thomas_meighan »

Vahan_Nisanian

Amateur's Guide to Love
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
Supposedly, CBS stopped erasing daytime game shows as early as 1972, so it might still exist (note, I said supposedly, I didn't say that they actually did).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:37:58 PM by gameshowlover87 »

DjohnsonCB

Amateur's Guide to Love
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »
They went on location to places like White Front and set up situations where people would be subjects in love-oriented situations.  The music was in the Gambit-Runaround style and was pretty dorky as I recall.  If a contestant wasn't present at the set podium, they put a rose on it.

I just happened to remember I audio-recorded the opening of one of the shows with Gene Rayburn's spiel over the theme music--will have to find the old cassette.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:15:00 PM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Ian Wallis

Amateur's Guide to Love
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
Supposedly, CBS stopped erasing daytime game shows as early as 1972, so it might still exist (note, I said supposedly, I didn't say that they actually did).

One episode is known to exist - I know of at least two people who have it.  Before anyone asks, I'm not one of them, but hopefully eventually...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

davemackey

Amateur's Guide to Love
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
http://www.tvparty.com/games-matchgame.html has a brief audio clip of a show open from "The Amateur's Guide to Love".