Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestant Eligibility  (Read 2755 times)

MizzouRah!

Contestant Eligibility
« on: November 29, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »
In today's Kansas City Star, tonight's TV highlights(11/29) include a pic of Wayne Brady w/ a DFtL contestant and the following text:  Fox..8 p.m.--"Wayne Brady's show rolls on w/ Ashley McCohn, who wiped out on 5th Grader". Okay, I'm not a 5th Grader watcher, so I don't know when her appearance was, but it has to be relatively recent. What are the standards/rules/regulations for time periods between prime time games, and does being on the same network make any difference? If anyone knows the date of her appearance, is she eligible to play and/or keep winnings on Lyrics? Just curious.

rigsby

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 03:20:42 PM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'170851\' date=\'Nov 29 2007, 01:53 PM\']
In today's Kansas City Star, tonight's TV highlights(11/29) include a pic of Wayne Brady w/ a DFtL contestant and the following text:  Fox..8 p.m.--"Wayne Brady's show rolls on w/ Ashley McCohn, who wiped out on 5th Grader". Okay, I'm not a 5th Grader watcher, so I don't know when her appearance was, but it has to be relatively recent. What are the standards/rules/regulations for time periods between prime time games, and does being on the same network make any difference? If anyone knows the date of her appearance, is she eligible to play and/or keep winnings on Lyrics? Just curious.
[/quote]

Her appearance on 5th Grader is the hour before.  See this topic.

Jimmy Owen

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 04:03:18 PM »
On Fox, you have to wait at least one minute between shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:10:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'170865\' date=\'Nov 29 2007, 05:03 PM\']
On Fox, you have to wait at least one minute between shows.
[/quote]

...Or tonight marks the first official episode of "The Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader - Don't Forget The Lyrics Double Hour".  (In the same vein as the MGHSH).

MizzouRah!

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I overlooked the other thread, or obviously I would have understood. And I'd like to thank the KC Star for tossing in the spoiler. Another feather in the cap of good journalism!!

TravisP

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 04:43:48 PM »
If you thought someone appearing on two shows inside a short time period was bad enough. We've had someone in the UK who appeared on THREE game shows in the space of seven months. The People's Quiz, Identity and Are You Smarter Than a 10 Year Old? However, we have more relaxed rules for previous television appearances.

Timsterino

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 03:29:50 AM »
There is no set standard (at least in the United States) on how many shows you can be on in a particular amount of time. Each production sets their own standards and those are not really regulated by any Federal agency. Generally, the standard (although not in stone) is you can be on three shows within a ten year span. Shows like Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune and Price is Right still hold to these standards. Newer shows as with the FOX shows do not have the same set of standards. However, I will tell you from recent personal experience that there are some new shows coming out that hold on-air game show experience against you when you are being considered. For now, I will say no more. ;)

Tim :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:35:23 AM by Timsterino »

TravisP

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 05:32:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'171114\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 03:29 AM\']
However, I will tell you from recent personal experience that there are some new shows coming out that hold on-air game show experience against you when you are being considered. For now, I will say no more. ;)
[/quote]

Something I forgot to add. The person who appeared on three shows this year also appeared on Deal or No Deal in 2005.

Production companies vary with contestant selection here. Some would go for people who have never been on a show before, while others would choose those who have experienced being in a studio. 12Yard's In It to Win It tend to select newcomers. While Endemol's 1 Vs 100 use previous Deal or No Deal contestants to fill up the 100.

We've had a show called The People's Quiz (a quiz version of American Idol, turning out to be a right disaster) at the start of the year, which had open auditions but the rule stated you cannot take part if you've won on a show in 2006. Unfortunatly for Fever, only a handful turned up at the venues. Later on they reverted that rule and more taken part.

Jimmy Owen

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:01:30 AM »
It seems like whenever I turn on one of the poker shows it's the same five dudes, so what's the big deal?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 02:26:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'171125\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 04:01 AM\']
It seems like whenever I turn on one of the poker shows it's the same five dudes, so what's the big deal?
[/quote]
Poker is not a game show. It is a sport. :)

uncamark

Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'171146\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 01:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'171125\' date=\'Dec 2 2007, 04:01 AM\']
[/quote]
Poker is not a game show. It is a sport. :)
[/quote]

And Katie Boyle is not a Looney--she is a television personality.

/ALL ANSWERS VERIFIED BY ENCYLOPAEDIA BRITTANICA

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Contestant Eligibility
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'171201\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 01:12 PM\']
And Katie Boyle is not a Looney[/quote]
http://www.pegusisfreeware.com/nicki/canada/1dollar.gif

Approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe