Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: American Gladiators taping impressions  (Read 4710 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
American Gladiators taping impressions
« on: December 03, 2007, 01:55:54 PM »
This Saturday, I went to see a taping of the new American Gladiators. I'm not sure whether the rules of the board allow me to reveal things such as what the set looks like and which events will be played, so I won't mention any specifics here. I will say that I saw or heard reference to six classic events and one new event, and there very well could be more events than that in the rotation.

Overall, it's definitely in the spirit of the original -- now that I think about it, if the show had run continuously, what I saw may very well have been the natural evolution of it. I can tell that there will be a lot of work done in post-production -- with the exception of the gameplay, everything was subject to stopdowns and reshooting. (At one point in the day, after a large audience had been loaded in, we all had to sit and wait for over two and a half hours while they finished setting up, practicing, and blocking an event.)

I'm happiest to report that the same spirit of sportsmanship is still present -- they didn't try to play up fake rivalries or make everybody act mad at one another. The gladiators still brag, of course, but if a contender defeats a gladiator, the gladiator will usually offer them their congratulations. And even though they're competing against one another, most of the contenders have respect for one another. (I saw one or two exceptions, but they wound up looking kind of bad, so maybe they'll be edited out.)

While the rules and presentation have been tweaked a little in some of the classic events, they're all instantly recognizable. Not everyone will like the changes (I suspect the biggest complaints will be about the hosting and the editing, unless they have a really good editor), but it's still American Gladiators.

--
Scott "my gladiator name would be Twig" Robinson

tvwxman

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »
$1 Million for winning the Eliminator, right?

/Gawd I hope I'm making a funi.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

toetyper

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:41:53 PM »
just give me 'own the bone' and ill  be happy

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:52:25 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'171188\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 01:55 PM\']Scott "my gladiator name would be Twig" Robinson[/quote]
I lol'd.

There will always be some complaints about "new stuff," but the core of the show doesn't seem to be altered (for once).

ESPNC's been recently showing the Christensen episodes.  Not sure if these episodes will be cut as bad as those.
This signature is currently under construction.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 01:37:21 AM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'171194\' date=\'Dec 3 2007, 01:41 PM\']
just give me 'own the bone' and ill  be happy
[/quote]
I'd be pleasantly surprised, since that was a Season Five event and no one remembers anything from after about Season Three.

/Then again, the promo I saw online used the Season 5-7 theme, so what do I know?

Joe Mello

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:48:46 AM »
The pic with the Buzzerblog article looks like it has the Gauntlet, so yeah....

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »
Oh, cool.  Gauntlet was easily the second-best thing to come out of the last three seasons.  

1. Wishbone
2. Gauntlet

----

372. Everything else

Joe Mello

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
There's another AG report on LAist for your reading pleasure.  There's also embedded the Access Hollywood story.  It's good to know that the production staff are staying true to form and spending 20 minutes to get a take.  On the plus side, putting Joust and Hang Tough over water is probably safer (and cheaper?) than crash pads.

Right now, I count 7 events and the Eliminator, which is a good sign.  I doubt all 8 are going to be played each game (the old AG barely fit 8 in themselves), but we should get 6 or 7 to allow for a nice little rotation.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:46:20 AM by Joe Mello »

cool245

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »
NBC's official Gladiators message board has a list of the events. Not including the Eliminator there are nine events. The new event Earthquake and the UK event Hit and Run. Classic Events include: Joust, Powerball, Assault, The Wall, Gauntlet, Pyramid, Hang Tough.

Source: http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?showforum=248

Joe Mello

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »
Good, that almost guarantees rotation.  There's probably going to be an odd number of events because they're doing the 2 events/day thing.

It seems like this version is borrowing a lot more from the UK Glads (especially if they are doing the 3-2-1 whistle as was alluded to in the AH thing).  Any particular reason why we'd be porting a port?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'172095\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 11:22 AM\']
It seems like this version is borrowing a lot more from the UK Glads (especially if they are doing the 3-2-1 whistle as was alluded to in the AH thing).  Any particular reason why we'd be porting a port?
[/quote]
Huh?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'172096\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 02:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'172095\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 11:22 AM\']
[/quote]
Huh?
[/quote]
Not 'huh?'.

Jesus.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 03:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'172098\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 11:38 AM\']
Not 'huh?'.

Jesus.
[/quote]
I was being generous.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
From just the limited amount of stuff we've seen, I'm really excited.  I personally didn't (and still don't) like Hang Tough...but the other games will balance that out.  At least they still have Assault.

/also though the Gauntlet was just "Breakthrough"
//didn't realize they were two different games
///has anything been shown/said about the Eliminator format?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

weaklink75

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »
You know, after seeing the pics of the new female Gladiators, how much you want to bet they do some sort of a "surprise" on DoND involving one of them in disguise as a model? (Crush and Venom could fit-Hellga not so much)...you know NBC loves to cross-promote..