Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amne$ia cancelled  (Read 5284 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'184063\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 01:32 PM\']
Give me a break.[/quote]
Pot. Kettle. Black.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'184063\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 03:32 PM\']Give me a break.[/quote]
I'll give you a clue if you're interested.

/How's "America's fastest-growing game show blog" coming along?
//*snicker*
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:57:41 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 05:01:11 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'184063\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 04:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'183443\' date=\'Apr 7 2008, 01:07 AM\']
Yet Moment of Truth remains on the air. Rackem-frackem.

Dear Mark Burnett, please consider shopping this one for daytime syndication...it has a lot of potential.
[/quote]

Give me a break.
[/quote]
I beg your pardon? Last time I checked, I am entitled to my opinion...what's wrong, it doesn't offer enough money for the gameplay involved? I guess it doesn't matter that Moment of Truth contestants ruin each others' lives; as long as they offer a half mil or whatever the hell the jackpot is, it's a much better show in your eyes!!!!1! BTW, given your history of borderline trolling, you're about the last person who should be asking for a break. I think in almost five years and 6,004 posts, the four have prolly been as ridiculous as yours. Compared to your 975, I'd say 973 of them have made my head asplode.

Try again, chief.

/And thanks to Mark O., Lemon, and Joe for their mentions
//Special thanks to Lemon for the inspiration on that pic
///One "M" or two? :-P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:12:00 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'184070\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 02:01 PM\']Try again, chief.
[/quote]Dude! Props for the Cheryl Jackson photo-fail thing. You could have been dead wrong on the issue and you'd still win. ;)
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 06:26:31 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'184062\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 01:31 PM\']Again, as Monty Hall might say, "It's not how much money we give away, it's the way we do it".[/quote]Said the guy who celebrates big money wins on shows by declaring the news in Thad Dixon(tm) form, with the hugest typeface possible and the most garish color choice possible.

The password is...fail.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 06:27:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'184080\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 06:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'184070\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 02:01 PM\']Try again, chief.
[/quote]Dude! Props for the Cheryl Jackson photo-fail thing. You could have been dead wrong on the issue and you'd still win. ;)
[/quote]
A'thankyew, sir. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:54 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'184062\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 01:31 PM\']You know a game show is good as dead when the last two aired episodes of this show, which featured the two highest winners ever on this show, both score series-low ratings. Again, as Monty Hall might say, "It's not how much money we give away, it's the way we do it".[/quote]The problem is that there isn't all that much of a game to it. Set for Life gave away some huge prizes, and got bupkis.

[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'184069\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 01:57 PM\']/How's "America's fastest-growing game show blog" coming along?
//*snicker*[/quote]Let's have a look-see.

On page one:

* Referring to contestants not by the names used by the show, but by last names we haven't heard since the top of the show, or by "the lone man" or "the woman..."

* Using terminology that would be known only to show fans, not regular folks. (GARF, WIPEOUT)

* Leaving out whole segments worth of gameplay, or critical details to add context.

* Adding 'opinions' that have no place in a recap, whether by declaring a particular showcase was impossible to win, or a contestant messed up by leaving out a word in a solve. (This is actually the most egregious of the lot, and the one thing he does far too often.)

Basically everything that you wouldn't want to have in a 'game show blog' or recap site that you wanted to be taken seriously.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'184070\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 02:01 PM\']I beg your pardon? Last time I checked, I am entitled to my opinion...what's wrong, it doesn't offer enough money for the gameplay involved? [/quote]And in the same way, he's entitled to his. The problem is Bobby doesn't defend anything he says.

That said: I don't think Amnesia works on any level. There's no rooting interest at all, and the producers realized that watching someone answer questions about himself isn't interesting, because they had things like "Which of these people is the President's daughter?" and "Who was the leading lady in the film you saw with your wife on your first date?" (Replacing all of that with the name of the film. The fact that only one or two people even had a punt on the +/- $25,000 question also doesn't help matters.

Amnesia offers bland family-friendly fare where everything is done like a roast, with a nod-and-a-wink, and it shows in the familial celebrations at the end of the show. Moment of Truth gives people the chance to sneer at their fellow man, first for volunteering to be on the show, and second for doing whatever misdeeds are revealed. And you can say "I may take a penny from the jar, but at least I didn't cheat on my wife."

Which doesn't mean I like MOT, it's just why one succeeds and the other doesn't.
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 09:00:45 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'184101\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 11:53 PM\']
Amnesia offers bland family-friendly fare where everything is done like a roast, with a nod-and-a-wink, and it shows in the familial celebrations at the end of the show. Moment of Truth gives people the chance to sneer at their fellow man, first for volunteering to be on the show, and second for doing whatever misdeeds are revealed. And you can say "I may take a penny from the jar, but at least I didn't cheat on my wife."
[/quote]

Okay, that's just about the most depressing explanation of a TV show's success I've ever heard.  And I'm not even saying you're wrong.

I disagree, though, that there is no rooting interest in Amnesia.  You see a contestant, maybe think, "I like this guy.  He's got a nice wife.  They met cute.  Aw, lookit his goofy college roommate... Gee, I'd really like to see this guy win big." It's not the same as yelling at the set, "Take the Banker's deal!" or even, "Say 'Things that Bounce,' stupid!"--but to say there's no involvement is at least an overstatement.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'184114\' date=\'Apr 16 2008, 09:00 AM\']I disagree, though, that there is no rooting interest in Amnesia.  You see a contestant, maybe think, "I like this guy.  He's got a nice wife.  They met cute.  Aw, lookit his goofy college roommate... Gee, I'd really like to see this guy win big." It's not the same as yelling at the set, "Take the Banker's deal!" or even, "Say 'Things that Bounce,' stupid!"--but to say there's no involvement is at least an overstatement.[/quote]
I've not seen either show.  With rare exception (God help me, Deal or No Deal is still on my season pass), if I can't play along, I don't care.  But it sounds like what we have is the difference between a show where you typically are rooting for a likable contestant (Amne$ia) vs a show where you are typically rooting against an unlikable one (Moment of Truth).  Naturally it's never quite that simplistic, but it's a little sad for society which one survived.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

alfonzos

Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »
I won't miss the show but I did enjoy Dennis Miller. I hope he finds a game that showcases his talent. How about reviving "Two for the Money"?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jimmy Owen

Amne$ia cancelled
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 06:30:33 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'184159\' date=\'Apr 16 2008, 04:52 PM\']
I won't miss the show but I did enjoy Dennis Miller. I hope he finds a game that showcases his talent. How about reviving "Two for the Money"?
[/quote]

Considering his affection for obscure words, maybe he could host a revival of "Call My Bluff"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.