Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: American Gladiators taping impressions  (Read 4701 times)

BrandonFG

American Gladiators taping impressions
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 08:15:31 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'172133\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 08:06 PM\']
You know, after seeing the pics of the new female Gladiators, how much you want to bet they do some sort of a "surprise" on DoND involving one of them in disguise as a model? (Crush and Venom could fit-Hellga not so much)...you know NBC loves to cross-promote..
[/quote]
I'm waiting for the wrasslin' fan, who ironidentially, just happens to LOVE Hulk Hogan...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Scani71

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'172104\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 03:28 PM\']
///has anything been shown/said about the Eliminator format?
[/quote]

There's this thread on the NBC forums that should help on that one...

Brig Bother

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 09:21:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'172095\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 07:22 PM\']
It seems like this version is borrowing a lot more from the UK Glads (especially if they are doing the 3-2-1 whistle as was alluded to in the AH thing).  Any particular reason why we'd be porting a port?
[/quote]

Because everyone preferred our version, basically - it certainly set the template worldwide. Even the American Glads suggested our version was better!

You should have got Nigel Lythgoe to produce this, really. Is he still a judge on So You Think You Can Dance these days?

I'm still quite looking forward to it though. And inevitably Knights and Warriors remade in 2010.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:23:45 PM by Brig Bother »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'172096\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 11:26 AM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'172095\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 11:22 AM\']It seems like this version is borrowing a lot more from the UK Glads (especially if they are doing the 3-2-1 whistle as was alluded to in the AH thing).  Any particular reason why we'd be porting a port?[/quote]Huh?[/quote]My guess: We did the "countdown" a particular way on the domestic version before the UK one even existed, so why would we bother to nick that part from the foreign version.

But admittedly that's as hair-splitting as you could get when comparing the two.
Travis L. Eberle

Brig Bother

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'172077\' date=\'Dec 14 2007, 04:45 PM\']
On the plus side, putting Joust and Hang Tough over water is probably safer (and cheaper?) than crash pads.
[/quote]

Provided you don't get concussed, obviously.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »
Here's what the Admin at the NBC board posted about the Eliminator:

"This is the ultimate timed obstacle course with fire and water. Contenders ascend and dive off of a 10-foot platform, swim beneath a flaming surface and climb a cargo net to pedal cranks high above ground. The contenders then pedal to a beam they must traverse across, then leap off and sprint up the Pyramid to a giant zip line that drops them at the reverse escalator. At the top of the escalator they grab a rope-swing that sends them crashing through the finish line."

Swimming below a flaming surface? Is that legal? Better yet, did they get Exxon to spill oil in the pool and set it aflame? Regardless of that, the new course seems harder than the original, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:42:50 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Speedy G

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 12:31:04 AM »
So, based purely on that description, the Eliminator course is essentially:

"Ascending" (wall climb/rope climb/versaclimber?), pool swim, cargo net, handbike, balance beam, pyramid climb, zip line, treadmill, rope swing through the finish.

Sounds like a perfectly normal Eliminator course to me.  No ball pits in sight or anything like that.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 03:43:16 AM »
So, the reverse "treadmill" is no longer placed on the start line & now is an escolator?  I much rather see the trednill because it's possible to quickly ascend the escolator.  I'm not sure how someone came up with having the surface of the water on fire, but that sounds harsh.  This could result in serious problems if a contender tries to come up for air through the flames.  The rest of the course seems about the same except the Pyramid which wasn't there in the original series.  Earthquake sounds to me like an event that'll make me nervous the whole time.  Hit & Run should be interesting, but I'd rather see a tethered medicine ball being used instead of that 100 lb. pendulim.  At least one of my favoritte events Powerball is back along with Joust.  Should be quite a series if the Hulkster doesn't screw around with the backstories.

chad1m

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'172153\' date=\'Dec 15 2007, 03:43 AM\']
The rest of the course seems about the same except the Pyramid which wasn't there in the original series.[/quote]

There was an event called Pyramid, which started about mid-way through the show's run.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 12:54:24 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'172163\' date=\'Dec 15 2007, 11:33 AM\']
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'172153\' date=\'Dec 15 2007, 03:43 AM\']
The rest of the course seems about the same except the Pyramid which wasn't there in the original series.[/quote]

There was an event called Pyramid, which started about mid-way through the show's run.
[/quote]
Yes, and to add to the prior comment, the beginning of Season Five is pretty much the dividing line where the original Gladiators jumped the shark, as the tone of the show changed drastically, Zsonka and many of the better-known Glads left, and generally the whole show was a lot less good.  Pyramid was one of four(!) new events, and one of the changes to the Eliminator was to move the treadmill to the end of the course (where it tripped up a lot more contestants, because they were worn out at that point).  I'd also be willing to bet it's not actually an escalator, but just a poor choice of words on the admin's part.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:58:18 AM by Mr. Armadillo »