Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Million $ Password" update.  (Read 10081 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Million $ Password" update.
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 07:39:27 AM »
allot is a legal word, but if the Password is "several" do you say no because the giver more likely said"a lot"?
"Allot" is a legal clue, but a bad one for the password in question, so the contestant basically shot herself in the foot. This is all spelled out in the rules.

GameShowFan

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 02:40:58 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'171979\' date=\'Dec 13 2007, 09:21 AM\']
So I got a call this morning from one of the ladies I first auditioned for.

Her words:

"Because of your exposure to the material, we won't be casting you for the first six episodes."

Which, in my eyes, translates to:
[/quote]

...we're too lazy to write new material for the shows, and besides, the writers are on strike, so nobody can write new material.

Note to Chris C: It's not the mechanics of clue-and-response (plus word authority issues) they have to work out, but scoring. (See: The original P+ scoring method in run-through/pilot stage.) I would suggest the original Password (or second version variant, with doubling) isn't what they want to do, even if they should.

'Brian

mmb5

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 06:10:53 PM »
On any version of Password, if you were truly only supposed to be using words that were in whatever sponsoring dictionary at the time, shouldn't have any proper names/cities/whatnot been automatically out, since they are not in said dictionary.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'172227\' date=\'Dec 16 2007, 03:10 PM\']
On any version of Password, if you were truly only supposed to be using words that were in whatever sponsoring dictionary at the time, shouldn't have any proper names/cities/whatnot been automatically out, since they are not in said dictionary.
[/quote]
I could swear, at least in the version of Webster's New Collegiate that we had, that there was a dictionary of proper names in the back. At least, of places.

Point made, tho.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Unrealtor

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'172227\' date=\'Dec 16 2007, 05:10 PM\']
[/quote]

My Merriam-Webster dictionary has lists of "biographical names" and "geographical names." A rule that proper nouns are acceptable as words probably wouldn't lead to any worse examples of twisted logic than some of Bobby Sherman's decisions about whether two words were opposites.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

robwargo

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 01:35:22 AM »
Reminds me of my experience trying out for the Donny Osmond "Pyramid."  A friend and I went to the audition, and we were both clearly the best players of the game during that round.  Neither of us got called to be on the show.  I got the distinct impression that they weren't looking for good players necessarily, but, rather, people with more outrageous personalities.

BillCullen1

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 04:29:03 PM »
[quote name=\'robwargo\' post=\'172340\' date=\'Dec 18 2007, 01:35 AM\']
Reminds me of my experience trying out for the Donny Osmond "Pyramid."  A friend and I went to the audition, and we were both clearly the best players of the game during that round.  Neither of us got called to be on the show.  I got the distinct impression that they weren't looking for good players necessarily, but, rather, people with more outrageous personalities.
[/quote]

Sadly, that does seem to be the more common norm these days on game shows.  Frankly, I'm
more worried about how the celebs are going to do on the new Password than the contestants.

tvmitch

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »
Somehow, I just have the gut feeling that we'll see this.

"The password is...FAJITA."
Celeb: "Burritoooooo..."
WE'LL FIND OUT IF JIM GETS THE PASSWORD AFTER THIS.

"Commmmmming up...the most dramatic moment in Password history!"

But you have to have a little faith, right?
You should follow me on Twitter

Brakus

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 07:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'robwargo\' post=\'172340\' date=\'Dec 18 2007, 01:35 AM\']
[/quote]

My experience trying out for Pyramid 5 years ago apparently went a lot smoother then yours did. I passed the written test and got paired up with another person who also knew how to play the game, give clues, etc. I was the only one called for the show, and proceeded to win $10,000 and a trip to Aruba.

To be honest, I didn't like the 6-in-20 aspect of the front game, and I didn't like how some of the subjects in the Winners' Circle started getting pretty off-the-wall... I mean, OLYMPIC RING COLORS and WHAT REGIS PHILBIN'S COFFEE MUG WOULD SAY? Seriously...

So far this hasn't parlayed into a callback for Million Dollar Password, but maybe the fact that I'm not in the New York Tri-State area has to do with it (though it still is accessible to me for a 2-day trip or so)....
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'172632\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 04:37 PM\']To be honest, I didn't like the 6-in-20 aspect of the front game, [/quote] Admittedly, they got so many other things wrong that this doesn't even rate for me, but what was it that turned you off? You're still playing the Pyramid, and it's even faster-paced than before.

and I didn't like how some of the subjects in the Winners' Circle started getting pretty off-the-wall... I mean, OLYMPIC RING COLORS and WHAT REGIS PHILBIN'S COFFEE MUG WOULD SAY? Seriously...
The problem with the Olympic Rings as a subject is that once you exhaust the small subset of answers, you've shot your wad. At least with the coffee mug you could improvise something like "If Kathie Lee tells one more boring story about Cody or Frank again I'm going to spill my espresso all over her."

Or something.
Travis L. Eberle

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 11:21:44 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'172657\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 11:03 PM\']The problem with the Olympic Rings as a subject is that once you exhaust the small subset of answers, you've shot your wad.[/quote]
Ah, but this was Donnymid, where they probably expected "Sydney blue" and "Salt Lake City green" as clues.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

lobster

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2007, 01:30:38 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'172657\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 10:03 PM\']
At least with the coffee mug you could improvise something like "If Kathie Lee tells one more boring story about Cody or Frank again I'm going to spill my espresso all over her."
[/quote]

"This ceramic sipping container belongs to the host of Millionaire and spokesperson for Harvest Crisps! -- and may contain hot liquid!"

LObs

Jay Temple

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2007, 02:33:48 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'172657\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 10:03 PM\']
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'172632\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 04:37 PM\']To be honest, I didn't like the 6-in-20 aspect of the front game, [/quote] Admittedly, they got so many other things wrong that this doesn't even rate for me, but what was it that turned you off? You're still playing the Pyramid, and it's even faster-paced than before.[/quote]
Speaking only for myself: With 7 in 30, you won by giving good descriptions. With 6 in 20, you won by giving them fast.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BillCullen1

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2007, 11:08:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'172632\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 07:37 PM\']
My experience trying out for Pyramid 5 years ago apparently went a lot smoother then yours did. I passed the written test and got paired up with another person who also knew how to play the game, give clues, etc. I was the only one called for the show, and proceeded to win $10,000 and a trip to Aruba.

To be honest, I didn't like the 6-in-20 aspect of the front game, and I didn't like how some of the subjects in the Winners' Circle started getting pretty off-the-wall... I mean, OLYMPIC RING COLORS and WHAT REGIS PHILBIN'S COFFEE MUG WOULD SAY? Seriously...

So far this hasn't parlayed into a callback for Million Dollar Password, but maybe the fact that I'm not in the New York Tri-State area has to do with it (though it still is accessible to me for a 2-day trip or so)....
[/quote]

The original Pyramid had some wacky subjects too, like "What a zipper might say" or "Why you
have an affair."  But to get back to Password, I see they're still looking for contestants.  If the
writers strike continues, we may see the $!M Password on TV very soon.  Since I live in NYC,
I'm going to try to get tickets for a taping as soon as they announce the dates.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2007, 12:01:15 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'172783\' date=\'Dec 22 2007, 08:08 AM\']
The original Pyramid had some wacky subjects too, like "What a zipper might say" or "Why you
have an affair."
[/quote]
At least those were straight-forward enough where people could figure them out. I'm that pulley thing going down the front of your coat..." or "Because your wife isn't good enough, but her sister is hawter than a gas-powered barbecue..."