Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show hosts in upcoming trading card release  (Read 5642 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game show hosts in upcoming trading card release
« on: December 26, 2007, 04:08:08 PM »
Donruss is introducing a set of trading cards called "Americana", which contains primarily TV and movie stars, in early January.  Bob Eubanks, Peter Marshall, Wink Martindale, and Chuck Woolery will have cards in the set.  Each of the four will have signed cards in the set--Eubanks has 50 "Private Signings" cards, Marshall has 200, Wink 95, and Woolery 100.  Eubanks, Martindale, and Woolery will each have 250 "Stars Material" cards, which will feature a swatch of celebrity-owned and worn apparel.  Eubanks and Wink will have 100 "Stars Signature Material" cards, which is a signed version of the "Stars Material" cards, while Wink will have 150 "Stars Signature Material" cards.  The suggested retail price per pack of 5 cards is $40.  More information about Donruss Americana can be found here.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:25:55 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'173167\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 01:08 PM\']
The suggested retail price per pack of 5 cards is $40.
[/quote]
*cough*

Man, am I glad I'm out of the collecting hobby. And I thought M:TG was a money-sucker.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 05:00:15 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'173167\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 03:08 PM\']
The suggested retail price per pack of 5 cards is $40.  [/quote]

Please tell me that's a typo.

/Remembers getting three packs of Donruss for a dollar at the grocery store
//Plus there were 15 cards in a pack
///*And* a Warren Spahn puzzle piece
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 05:37:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'173172\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 02:00 PM\']
Please tell me that's a typo.[/quote]
Frighteningly, I don't think it is.

/the Ultimate Warrior?
//the Ultimate Friggin' Warrior?
///they would have to pay ME $40 to buy a pack of cards with a signed Ultimate Friggin' Warrior in it

rugrats1

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 05:39:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'173172\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 05:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'173167\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 03:08 PM\']
The suggested retail price per pack of 5 cards is $40.  [/quote]
Please tell me that's a typo.
[/quote]

If not, then this will be one set of trading cards that won't be put into the bike spokes (for a simulated "motor" sound).

weaklink75

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'173167\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 04:08 PM\']
Donruss is introducing a set of trading cards called "Americana", which contains primarily TV and movie stars, in early January.  Bob Eubanks, Peter Marshall, Wink Martindale, and Chuck Woolery will have cards in the set.  Each of the four will have signed cards in the set--Eubanks has 50 "Private Signings" cards, Marshall has 200, Wink 95, and Woolery 100.  Eubanks, Martindale, and Woolery will each have 250 "Stars Material" cards, which will feature a swatch of celebrity-owned and worn apparel.  Eubanks and Wink will have 100 "Stars Signature Material" cards, which is a signed version of the "Stars Material" cards, while Wink will have 150 "Stars Signature Material" cards.  The suggested retail price per pack of 5 cards is $40.  More information about Donruss Americana can be found here.
[/quote]

You missed one- Ed McMahon has a card too....

but $40 for 5 cards? You'd think they had each card hand painted by a blind Tibetian monk for that price....

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 10:07:42 PM »
While at the local money pit card shop tonight, I asked the owner if he's buying Americana.  He said he is.  We both agreed that it will either be a phenomenal set or a total bomb.  Each 4-pack box will have at least one autographed card, and each pack will have either a material swatch card or an autograph.

The Americana series is similar to my favorite set this year--Playoff Absolute Memorabilia, also with 4 packs per box, a MSRP of $40/pack, at least one autograph per box, and either an autograph or swatch card per pack.  The huge difference is collectors go friggin' bonkers for multi-colored swatches from the patches on jerseys.  I don't think anybody will do backflips over pulling an 8-color plaid swatch from one of Martindale's suit jackets circa 1974.

weaklink75:  I saw that Ed McMahon's in the set.  I opted not to include him since he's not most well-known for game shows.  The same goes with William Shatner.

/Shatner-owned toupee cards, anyone?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:13:46 PM by MikeK »

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 11:08:51 PM »
Okay, I know that Mike's into card collecting, I even watched one of his Youtube videos of him cracking open a box of the things. (Which was oddly entertaining, and I mean that as a complement. :))

But still...FORTY BUCKS for FIVE FRIGGIN' CARDS?

Man. I am seriously frightened that there is a market for this. :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:09:10 PM by clemon79 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 01:25:04 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173217\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 11:08 PM\']But still...FORTY BUCKS for FIVE FRIGGIN' CARDS?[/quote]
4 words for you:  Tip of the iceberg.  The last link is for an item which is well over $300 for 7 cards.  I can't tell you about cards in other sports since 99% of my cards are football cards.

An article in this month's Beckett Football Magazine said that an average pack of an Upper Deck product for the 2007 football season will be over $80, and the 2008 products should exceed $120.  Not a box.  One single pack.  And you don't even get a stick of gum in the pack for that price.  It's not the buck a pack hobby it was even a decade ago.

ObGS:  A few years ago, TPiR offered unopened boxes of Fleer baseball cards on multiple occasions, just before Fleer was purchased by Donruss.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 02:17:16 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'173234\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 10:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173217\' date=\'Dec 26 2007, 11:08 PM\']But still...FORTY BUCKS for FIVE FRIGGIN' CARDS?[/quote]
4 words for you:  Tip of the iceberg.[/quote]
Four words for YOU, sir: no way in hell. :D

weaklink75

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 10:56:13 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'173234\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 01:25 AM\']
4 words for you:  Tip of the iceberg.  The last link is for an item which is well over $300 for 7 cards.  I can't tell you about cards in other sports since 99% of my cards are football cards.

An article in this month's Beckett Football Magazine said that an average pack of an Upper Deck product for the 2007 football season will be over $80, and the 2008 products should exceed $120.  Not a box.  One single pack.  And you don't even get a stick of gum in the pack for that price.  It's not the buck a pack hobby it was even a decade ago.

ObGS:  A few years ago, TPiR offered unopened boxes of Fleer baseball cards on multiple occasions, just before Fleer was purchased by Donruss.
[/quote]

How about $200 for TWO baseball cards....  Holy Smokes...

Sodboy13

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
What the hell?  One card does not a pack make, and two packs do not a box make.  You're paying for cardboard and foil at this point.  Ah well, whatever the market will bear, I guess.

/And this certainly explains why my Griffey rookie cards are worth less now than when I got them in '89
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:41:39 PM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »
I saw this and I was surprised just how much the bottom had fallen out of the trading card market. $40 for five cards...if I'm gonna pay $40 for a pack of five trading cards, as far as I'm concerned they'd better be of a rare type that has a good collectibility factor...

Probably won't sell much of these.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'173263\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 11:46 AM\']
as far as I'm concerned they'd better be of a rare type that has a good collectibility factor...[/quote]
And you wonder why the bottom dropped out of the market?

If I'm gonna pay $40 for a pack of five cards, they'd better be delivered to my door by Heather Davis wearing a negligee and carrying a small pitcher of gimlets.

/gotta keep it topical
//Lon can even watch if he wants
///"Wedding day raiyain. A prepaid ride. Ignored good advice. The above post."
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:58:04 PM by clemon79 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
Americana's cards went live a day early, it appears.  A few have popped up on eBay.  These are not my auctions.  I'm linking to them so you can see what the cards look like.

Peter Marshall (top right card)
Wink and Chuck Woolery (top left and bottom right, respectively)
Bob Eubanks shirt card; the base card looks exactly the same
Wink Martindale autographed card.  I'm not a fan of sticker autographs but that's the way the hobby has gone over the past 5 years.