Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry & Enright in the 70s and 80s  (Read 12207 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Barry & Enright in the 70s and 80s
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »
It seems to me that NOBODY behind the scenes knew how to use the FF category. The Fast Forward category, which was a pretty good idea, should have been scrapped right away if nobody could remember the rules on how to use it.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »
While we're on the subject of categories and going off the board, does anyone know if there was a list of categories visible to the contestants at all times?  There must have been one, but I've never seen any reference to it.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'174107\' date=\'Jan 7 2008, 10:42 AM\']
While we're on the subject of categories and going off the board, does anyone know if there was a list of categories visible to the contestants at all times?  There must have been one, but I've never seen any reference to it.
[/quote]

"Excuse me, Jack, could you get out of the way and open those panels so I can check my options..." ;)
czambo@mac.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'174013\' date=\'Jan 6 2008, 12:12 PM\']
Hell-hole, eh, Chris? It certainly was small and cramped, as far as the studio and set went. On my one visit during a TJW taping, Wink stopped in to cut a quick promo. Did they do the Martindale TTD run there, too?
[/quote]
If you think the Chris Craft studio was cramped, try doing a show in NBC 6A or 6B. Those studios are only about 45 feet wide. The big studio was not quite as big as the studios at the networks, but it was close.

Chris Craft never put any money back into that facility. The equipment and building were old and run-down. There's a reason Barry and Enright shot there -- it was cheap.

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 07:52:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'174053\' date=\'Jan 6 2008, 06:08 PM\']
Byron was one of the top winners of that season but was ineligible for the $100,000 Tournament of Champions in late 1978 because by that time he had become a member of the show's writing team.
[/quote]
Is there anyone Jack Barry didn't offer a job to? ISTR him offering Frank Dillon a position on-air following one of the tournaments.

Of course, there was also Scott Wyant on Bullseye.

/Would love to go from game show contestant to staffer.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 08:26:47 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'173777\' date=\'Jan 4 2008, 02:27 AM\']
To me, it was a miracle that B&E were able to get a game of chance on TV after the scandals. I'm still wondering however, if they ever learned to play by the rules.
[/quote]
I once passed a question along these lines that someone wrote to Jim Peck, who indignantly replied that *never* would have happened as long as Ron Greenburg was producing.

Again, with S&P watching everything, the risk of losing the empire a second time hanging over their heads, and there being no need to do anything to "adjust" the games (because they worked fine without it, unlike Twenty-One, I have to say nothing happened.