Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cable's Biggest Libraries  (Read 8678 times)

Ian Wallis

Cable's Biggest Libraries
« on: September 30, 2003, 09:08:51 AM »
I was thinking the other day that GSN probably has just about the biggest library of programs to air of all the cable networks, at 50,000.  I can't think of any other network that would have access to that much stuff.

The only one that might come close is probably ESPN Classic, which theoretically could have access to *any* sporting event ever (those of which that still exist, anyway).

I remember seeing a commercial for TVLand several years ago which claimed \"our library is packed with 25,000 episodes...\"   I never saw a complete list of what they had, but I find that number a little hard to believe considering most hit drama and comedy series might do between 100 and 200 at most.  They would have to have a LOT of stuff to get up to 25,000!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 11:01:51 AM »
The only one that might come close is probably ESPN Classic, which theoretically could have access to *any* sporting event ever (those of which that still exist, anyway).
But that's like saying TV Land theoretically could have access to *any* old TV show or, more to the point, that GSN theoretically could have acces to *any* old game show.  ESPN Classic has to acquire rights and pay fees just like any other operation.  I doubt they have anywhere close to 50,000 events in their library.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

inturnaround

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 11:18:05 AM »
According to ESPN, ESPN Classic has around 30,000 videotapes in their library. With the sheer number of college football and basketball games that ABC and ESPN have covered over the years alone, that certainly seems plausible.

Sure they have to negotiate rights with outside sources, but they seem to have a pretty good head start on just the ABC/ESPN libraries to begin with. One notable exclusion is any NFL games. The NFL is notorious about NFL Films being the prism through which its history is viewed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 11:19:08 AM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 11:49:57 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 08:18 AM\'] One notable exclusion is any NFL games. The NFL is notorious about NFL Films being the prism through which its history is viewed. [/quote]
BUT...those NFL Films productions air on...ESPN.

So the chances of seeing pertinent regular season games is poor, but at least you'd be able to see those season summary programs, as well as the NFL Films Super Bowl shows.

And I've caught them running non-playoff baseball games that originally aired on NBC. So their deal with MLB must involve some archive access.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 11:51:17 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 11:53:42 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 11:18 AM\'] According to ESPN, ESPN Classic has around 30,000 videotapes in their library. With the sheer number of college football and basketball games that ABC and ESPN have covered over the years alone, that certainly seems plausible.

Sure they have to negotiate rights with outside sources, but they seem to have a pretty good head start on just the ABC/ESPN libraries to begin with. One notable exclusion is any NFL games. The NFL is notorious about NFL Films being the prism through which its history is viewed. [/quote]
 Fair enough.  We can argue the semantics of whether 30,000 is \"anywhere close\" to 50,000, but that's certainly a lot bigger library than I would have thought.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 01:20:48 PM »
You can count every \"SportsCenter\" done over the years as a single program - with at least one (and usually three) per day since 1979, that can add up to 20K+*. Throw in ESPN2's \"Sportsnight\" (not \"Sports Night\") and ESPN's \"Up Close\", \"Sports reporters\" et al, and that's quite a hunk of video (albeit not a lot of it is probably up for repurposing.)

*Assuming they were all saved from the early days. I'd love to see the premiere w/George Grande in its entirety sometime.
@lambertman

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 03:09:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 10:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 08:18 AM\'] One notable exclusion is any NFL games. The NFL is notorious about NFL Films being the prism through which its history is viewed. [/quote]
BUT...those NFL Films productions air on...ESPN.

So the chances of seeing pertinent regular season games is poor, but at least you'd be able to see those season summary programs, as well as the NFL Films Super Bowl shows.

And I've caught them running non-playoff baseball games that originally aired on NBC. So their deal with MLB must involve some archive access. [/quote]
 But what you don't see is the original telecast.  You don't get to see/hear Pat Summerall and John Madden in their prime waxing philosophically about the Giants and Bears.  While NFL Films will occasionally augment their footage with radio calls to add a more local flavor, you don't get to see the game the way it was originally shown.

I could add more, but then again I live in an area without an NFL team.  (Five bucks cyber$$ to the first one to point out, \"Wait a minute.  You live in Chicago.\")

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 03:44:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 08:08 AM\']I remember seeing a commercial for TVLand several years ago which claimed \"our library is packed with 25,000 episodes...\"   I never saw a complete list of what they had, but I find that number a little hard to believe considering most hit drama and comedy series might do between 100 and 200 at most.  They would have to have a LOT of stuff to get up to 25,000![/quote]
On the other hand, considering that Viacom's holdings currently include the back libraries of the Big 3 networks' original syndication divisions, *plus* the holdings of Paramount, Desilu, NTA/Republic, MTV Networks, TNN, CBS News, Group W/King World, Spelling and distribution rights to TPE/Rysher programs owned by Mark Cuban (pant, pant)--and feature films and the Terrytoons library on top of that--that number could be very close, even if you take out the shows that are licensed to other channels and the titles of genres that TV Land would probably not program.

ObGameShow:  Oh yeah, there have to be *some* game shows in there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 04:51:43 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 10:20 AM\'] *Assuming they were all saved from the early days. I'd love to see the premiere w/George Grande in its entirety sometime. [/quote]
 Oh, they have it. They used footage from it on an HBO 2-part series called \"Play By Play: A History Of Sports Broadcasting\" that I would dearly love to get my hands on so I could watch it again. ESPN also used it on their own retrospective of the show when they celebrated their 20th birthday a couple years ago.

I was pleased to see that George Grande is still working, as the regional voice of the Cincy Reds.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 05:44:40 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 02:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 08:08 AM\']I remember seeing a commercial for TVLand several years ago which claimed "our library is packed with 25,000 episodes..."   I never saw a complete list of what they had, but I find that number a little hard to believe considering most hit drama and comedy series might do between 100 and 200 at most.  They would have to have a LOT of stuff to get up to 25,000![/quote]
On the other hand, considering that Viacom's holdings currently include the back libraries of the Big 3 networks' original syndication divisions, *plus* the holdings of Paramount, Desilu, NTA/Republic, MTV Networks, TNN, CBS News, Group W/King World, Spelling and distribution rights to TPE/Rysher programs owned by Mark Cuban (pant, pant)--and feature films and the Terrytoons library on top of that--that number could be very close, even if you take out the shows that are licensed to other channels and the titles of genres that TV Land would probably not program.

ObGameShow:  Oh yeah, there have to be *some* game shows in there. [/quote]
 I know one for certain that the Big V has.....Uncle Bill's $25K Pyramid.

Viacom, per what I'm told, has the rights to pretty much every last sitcom and drama (Dosen't count Soaps) ever made that isn't entirely held by another net (And some of THOSE are leased from Viacom), plus, at least a few game shows, and most likely some soaps too....

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 05:48:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 05:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 02:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 08:08 AM\']I remember seeing a commercial for TVLand several years ago which claimed "our library is packed with 25,000 episodes..."   I never saw a complete list of what they had, but I find that number a little hard to believe considering most hit drama and comedy series might do between 100 and 200 at most.  They would have to have a LOT of stuff to get up to 25,000![/quote]

ObGameShow:  Oh yeah, there have to be *some* game shows in there. [/quote]

Viacom, per what I'm told, has the rights to pretty much every last sitcom and drama (Dosen't count Soaps) ever made that isn't entirely held by another net (And some of THOSE are leased from Viacom), plus, at least a few game shows, and most likely some soaps too.... [/quote]
 Don't they have The Love Experts, $50k Pyramid, and Make Me Laugh '79 also?

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2003, 06:10:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 30 2003, 04:48 PM\']
ObGameShow:  Oh yeah, there have to be *some* game shows in there. [/QUOTE]

Don't they have The Love Experts, $50k Pyramid, and Make Me Laugh '79 also? [/quote]
 I don't think they would have $50K Pyramid, as it was syndied by Colgate Palmolive. MML79 was syndied by Paramount, as was Anything For Money, WIpeout, and TPIR94.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2003, 03:11:50 AM »
Y'all touched on Game Show Network before. Well, they're a part of Sony, which has the second biggest game show library (next to Fremantle of course), with the Barry-Enright, Chuck Barris, and Bob Stewart archives.

But as far as cable's biggest library is concerned...it's a tie between Disney with their libraries (the Disney Channel used to run a Vault Disney block on late nights) as well as ESPN's (Chris Berman said on the live behind-the-scenes of Sportscenter special they have over 1 million tapes and counting in their vaults), and Viacom with VH1, MTV, Nick, Spike TV/TNN, CMT, BET (I think they own BET) and many other properties including Paramount's.

Speaking of Paramount, Wipeout, Make Me Laugh '79, '94 nighttime TPIR, and Anything for Money are STILL collecting dust next to all those old \"Arsenio Hall\" shows (I think Entertainment Tonight's are far, far back)! Maybe they don't want to be seen again--unless GSN can work things out with Paramount.

Jonathan Allen

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2003, 06:14:16 AM »
Viacom's holdings currently include the back libraries of the Big 3 networks' original syndication divisions, *plus* the holdings of Paramount, Desilu, NTA/Republic, MTV Networks, TNN, CBS News, Group W/King World, Spelling and distribution rights to TPE/Rysher programs owned by Mark Cuban (pant, pant)--and feature films and the Terrytoons library on top of that
Yeah but they ain't got FOX! Sumner and Rupe would have to duke it out for that. First one to knock out the other's choppers wins.

ObGameShows: Gene Wood would get a check if an episode of Lariat Sam ever saw the light of day again.

davemackey

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 06:21:52 AM »
Well, there's a push on one of the animation boards I frequent to get the Paramount cartoons and the Terrytoons (both held by Viacom) back on TV again, and since Lariat Sam was definitely a Terrytoon, that qualifies.