Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cable's Biggest Libraries  (Read 8694 times)

tommycharles

Cable's Biggest Libraries
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2003, 02:11:53 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 02:11 AM\'] (I think Entertainment Tonight's are far, far back)! [/quote]
 How often do the ET archives get used anyway? 300 or so eps / year and once in a while an interview clip is dragged out. This has to be frustrating for Paramount to keep these.

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2003, 02:18:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 01:11 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 02:11 AM\'] (I think Entertainment Tonight's are far, far back)! [/quote]
How often do the ET archives get used anyway? 300 or so eps / year and once in a while an interview clip is dragged out. This has to be frustrating for Paramount to keep these.[/quote]
It's 312 shows a year, since they don't repeat and they produce six times a week (I believe they even fed a show on Sept. 11, 2001).

For the archives, they have \"ET in TV Land\" and the nostalgia pieces they do on the weekend show.

And compared to the news archives of the Big 3 networks, \"ET\"'s archives aren't that much room.

rugrats1

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 05:37:29 PM »
It's 312 shows a year, since they don't repeat and they produce six times a week (I believe they even fed a show on Sept. 11, 2001).

Though I think they pre-record a few \"backup\" episodes, just in case. When the LA riots occurred in 1992, there was no \"live\" ET show, but they transmitted a backup episode that was copyrighted a year before, in 1991. Also, the backup show that day did not mention a date, which was always mentioned on the \"live\" shows.

For the archives, they have \"ET in TV Land\" and the nostalgia pieces they do on the weekend show.

I think MTV and VH1 also have ET shows as well.

trainman

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 06:41:27 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 02:37 PM\'] Though I think they pre-record a few "backup" episodes, just in case. When the LA riots occurred in 1992, there was no "live" ET show, but they transmitted a backup episode that was copyrighted a year before, in 1991. Also, the backup show that day did not mention a date, which was always mentioned on the "live" shows. [/quote]
 Yes, I can confirm that \"ET\" does a couple of \"evergreen\" shows each season.  Paramount also sends them out on videotape to the client stations, for use on an individual basis, just in case a local station is having horrendous problems with its satellite receiving equipment, or something like that.

Re old broadcasts of NFL games:  Given that neither NBC nor CBS managed to save a tape of their individual broadcasts of the first Super Bowl, and given what we know about how the networks felt about saving videotapes of game shows, I kind of wonder how many regular-season NFL games are in the networks' archives.  Seems like whenever CBS or Fox show old game footage, even from just a couple of years ago, it's from NFL Films, not from their broadcasts.
trainman is a man of trains

johnnya2k3

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 07:14:13 PM »
Two other shows that also do \"backup\" eps. are The 700 Club and Access Hollywood (dunno about Extra or Inside Edition). TBN only airs alternate 700 Club episodes during CBN's special telethon weeks.

Jonathan Allen

zachhoran

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 07:34:22 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 01:18 PM\']

For the archives, they have "ET in TV Land" and the nostalgia pieces they do on the weekend show.

And compared to the news archives of the Big 3 networks, "ET"'s archives aren't that much room. [/quote]
 Those nostalgia pieces are more feasible to show as reruns than the Entertainment This Week shows ET used to do on the weekends for its first decade or so on the air.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2003, 08:26:52 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 05:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 02:37 PM\']  I kind of wonder how many regular-season NFL games are in the networks' archives.  Seems like whenever CBS or Fox show old game footage, even from just a couple of years ago, it's from NFL Films, not from their broadcasts. [/quote]
 Thta's not out of negligence, but rather an NFL demand. They insist that games only be shown in Film version, as soon as a couple of weeks after they're played.
@lambertman

Ian Wallis

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2003, 08:56:36 AM »
In reading some of the responses, I started thinking about something else:  it seems that the networks were more careful about saving old soap opera episodes than they were about old game shows.  

I know that a lot of old soaps no longer exist, but I've also heard that ABC apparantly has \"All My Children\" episodes from as far back as 1970.

That kind of surprises me...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2003, 09:56:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 07:56 AM\'] I know that a lot of old soaps no longer exist, but I've also heard that ABC apparantly has \"All My Children\" episodes from as far back as 1970.

That kind of surprises me... [/quote]
Inbetween the time that \"The City\" went off and \"Port Charles\" premiered in 1997, ABC programmed the 12:30pm slot with some classic episodes of their soaps (with some episodes broken up over 2 days to compensate for the half hour time slot)..

The first one they ran was AMC, but if I remember right, all they had available was a B&W kinescope when they ran the 1970 episodes..
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 09:56:24 AM by aaron sica »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2003, 10:30:11 AM »
I think the fact that ABC produced and owned most of their soaps is a big factor in their survival, yet you don't see the '70's episodes on SoapNet (save the occasional \"Ryan's Hope,\") so it's as if they don't exist.  I would guess Procter and Gamble have all of their shows tucked away somewhere.  P&G's \"Another World\" is supposed to be rerun soon, but only the last few years of the run.  Tying this to game shows, because the nets do not own them (the old ones anyway) there is no incentive to keep property that they can't exploit.  If a friend gave you some tapes to store at your house and didn't care what you did with them, what would you do?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2003, 10:51:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 09:30 AM\'] .  Tying this to game shows, because the nets do not own them (the old ones anyway) there is no incentive to keep property that they can't exploit [/quote]
 Of course, NBC does own the format rights to Twenty One, Tic Tac Dough, Dough Re Mi(I think), and of course, CONCENTRATION!. Whether NBC saved the old tapes of these shows is another story entirely. Do CBS and ABC own any game show format rights? I don't think they do, but maybe someone knows of one or two lesser-known formats they might own.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2003, 03:31:27 PM »
I'm sure I read CBS bought What's My Line from G-T back in 1958. The 1969 home game by Whitman claims a CBS copyright. G-T may have also sold all or part of I've Got A Secret.

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2003, 04:51:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 09:30 AM\']I think the fact that ABC produced and owned most of their soaps is a big factor in their survival, yet you don't see the '70's episodes on SoapNet (save the occasional \"Ryan's Hope,\") so it's as if they don't exist.  I would guess Procter and Gamble have all of their shows tucked away somewhere.  P&G's \"Another World\" is supposed to be rerun soon, but only the last few years of the run.  [/quote]
I had heard that Sony had licensed the P&G library for its proposed Soap City channel, but when they decided not to go ahead with it the rights reverted to P&G.

From all indications, P&G does have at least some kinescopes of earlier eps of their soaps--but it's hard to say if a contemporary audience would be willing to watch them, with the much slower pacing and the organ music on top of the fact that they're in black-and-white (not to mention any color episodes before P&G dumped the organ music on all of their shows in the mid-70s--they were the last daytime soap producers to hold on to live music cues).