Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was the first game show you could have seen?  (Read 9814 times)

zachhoran

What was the first game show you could have seen?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2003, 08:43:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 04:13 PM\'] Thursday, November 18, 1982, 7:03 am.

Now, last I checked, WTKR didn't air $25,000 Pyramid or Child's Play, but I *think* Wheel was on at 10:30 am.  If not, we'll just say TPiR or Wheel at 11 am. [/quote]
 WOF was on at 10:30AM for part of 1982(from April 26-December 31, 1982) so you are correct.
It moved back to 11AM on Jan 3, 1983.

zachhoran

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2003, 08:45:23 PM »
[quote name=\'combsisthebest\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 07:35 PM\']
6/22/89 8:23AM I am not sure what I could have watched first (I live on west coast, if that makes a difference). [/quote]
 It was a Thursday. You could have seen Combs Feud and Scrabble at 9AM PST if the CBS and/or NBC stations carried those shows at the time in your area.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2003, 08:48:38 PM »
8/5/62, about 4pm. Fire away, Zach.....

ITSBRY

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2003, 09:14:08 PM »
Great discussions of late!!! :-D  God, I'm so glad we left that \"other place\".

That's a hard question...I don't know if I know for sure actually.  Since \"Price\" has been around for so long, my instinct is to go with that, but I don't have any specific memories of it really.

I remember seeing TJW, but I don't recall if it was from the original run or during the rerun years on USA that sparks the memory.

As a child of the 80s, the first vivid memory of a game show I have is PYL.  I would play sick so I could stay home and watch it.  My fondest memories of a game show though are Eubanks/Rafferty Card Sharks.  I used to watch those with my gramma and great gramma when I would stay over in the summer.  We all loved that show!  We were Pyramid fiends too.  I can remember watching the syndie Pyramid in the evenings.  Pretty cool that GSN runs it in the early evenings now...brings back good feelings of the \"old days\".

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

Gus

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2003, 10:33:12 PM »
Thursday, January 15, 1987 at about 9:30 PM, EST, which would make it the earliest game show the next day. As per Curt Alliaume's schedule pages, that would've been either $25k Pyramid on CBS or $ale of the Century on NBC, both at 10 AM, Friday the 16.

Thad Dixon

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2003, 10:43:22 PM »
Tuesday, July 7, 1981 at 6:18pm ET.

For me, that would make it either nighttime Family Feud on WTKR or Tic Tac Dough on WAVY (they were both airing at 7pm weeknights at that time).

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2003, 11:07:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 1 2003, 01:04 PM\']I was born on a Thursday in 1960 at 8:30am, so \"Dough Re Mi\" was it for me.[/quote]
How lucky I was to find a website that could authenticate this--but for me following my birth at 11:22AM ET on November 11, 1965 (two days after the first big blackout of the Northeast) the first game show I could've watched was none other than Art Fleming and JEOPARDY!

Guess I should thank my lucky stars that DAYS OF OUR LIVES debuted three days earlier, which is the whole reason this webpage even exists.  :)

EDIT:  Sorry I didn't think to look at Curt's site first, but Googling got me to the site referenced above.  I hope Mr. A. is not offended.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 11:10:34 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

davemackey

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2003, 02:38:20 PM »
\"Number Please\" with Bud Collyer should have premiered on the day I was born - Monday, January 30, 1961 - but it was pre-empted. Since I was born at 5:29 a.m., whatever show was on a NY station first would have been it. But I'm sure Mom was busy dealing with the reality of carrying twins that day - in those pre-sonogram days, she had no idea she was carrying two babies. (Robair was the extra added attraction.)

WhammyPower

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2003, 04:05:23 PM »
Tuesday, July 19, 1988...

tomobrien

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2003, 09:14:29 AM »
Oh, man, this is depressing: my show would have been \"Strike it Rich.\"  Had I known that, I would have gone back in for a few hours until something better came on.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2003, 11:42:46 AM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 06:14 AM\'] Oh, man, this is depressing: my show would have been "Strike it Rich."  Had I known that, I would have gone back in for a few hours until something better came on. [/quote]
 Which one? Warren Hull's, or Joe Garagiola's? I personally don't have a problem with the latter at all. Wasn't the BEST, but I can think of far greater crap to occupy a syndicated time slot.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gaubster2

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2003, 01:06:48 PM »
I was born in 1971 (today actually!) and distinctly remember a \"brown\" New Price is Right...pre Big Wheel.  I used to roll my blocks on the couch as a fan of Gambit and vaguely remember Concentration as well.  Of course I also liked Match Game.  So, my earliest memories were of Price is Right, Match Game, and Gambit.  Come to think of it, I vaguely remember watching Joker's Wild as well....

tomobrien

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2003, 11:57:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 10:42 AM\'][quote name=\'tomobrien\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 06:14 AM\'] Oh, man, this is depressing: my show would have been \"Strike it Rich.\"  Had I known that, I would have gone back in for a few hours until something better came on. [/quote]
Which one? Warren Hull's, or Joe Garagiola's? I personally don't have a problem with the latter at all. Wasn't the BEST, but I can think of far greater crap to occupy a syndicated time slot.[/quote]
The Warren Hull version...the one that made \"Queen for a Day\" look classy.