Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Television Production Music Museum  (Read 14917 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Television Production Music Museum
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175241\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 12:09 PM\']
You sure as hell don't.[/quote]
I'm glad we agree! :D
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MasterKey

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175232\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 10:04 AM\']

BTW, the proprietor of this site doesn't know or care who Jamie Locklin is and doesn't know or care about a certain individual who used to sell cassettes of Score Productions music on ebay. I didn't say it at the time, but I have a hard time understanding why all of this suspicion about this site and its operator was warranted. Now we've demotivated this guy from pursuing his project and this board is collectively on his s***list. Welcome to the land of unintended consequences.

[/quote]

I would like to clear up a misunderstanding on your part regarding who the proprietor of that site knows and who he doesn't know. He not only knows one of the individuals you've mentioned. But the propietor of the site obtained a good deal of music directly from him on several occasions. Next time it would pay to do your homework before you post assumptions. I work in the business and I have been friendly with both.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
I would like to clear up a misunderstanding on your part regarding who the proprietor of that site knows and who he doesn't know. He not only knows one of the individuals you've mentioned. But the propietor of the site obtained a good deal of music directly from him on several occasions. Next time it would pay to do your homework before you post assumptions. I work in the business and I have been friendly with both.
Thanks for clearing that up, MasterKey. I stand corrected for posting an erroneous assumption. Now I have a question for you. How would it be possible for me to "do my homework" on whom the proprietor of this web site knows or doesn't know when I don't even know his identity? It is a chicken-and-egg scenario. If you'll review my posts in this thread you will find that I have been uniformly supportive of this person whose identity I don't know, to the point of sending him an apology on behalf of this board.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:44:34 PM by chris319 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »
Not that anyone cares, but I'm boggling both at some of the initial criticism, and at some of the opposite reaction to it. To say more would be to risk saying something inflammatory, though--really not worth it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2008, 08:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'175303\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 05:40 PM\']
Not that anyone cares, but I'm boggling both at some of the initial criticism, and at some of the opposite reaction to it. To say more would be to risk saying something inflammatory, though--really not worth it.
[/quote]
Robert, I seriously regret having even started this damn thread.

MasterKey

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175266\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 03:01 PM\']
Thanks for clearing that up, MasterKey. I stand corrected for posting an erroneous assumption. Now I have a question for you. How would it be possible for me to "do my homework" on whom the proprietor of this web site knows or doesn't know when I don't even know his identity? It is a chicken-and-egg scenario. If you'll review my posts in this thread you will find that I have been uniformly supportive of this person whose identity I don't know, to the point of sending him an apology on behalf of this board.
[/quote]

To answer your question, That very same email address you used to send the propietor an apology could have also been used by you to ask him if he knew the two parties you mentioned before you decided to make false assumptions that he not only doesn't know them, but also doesn't care about them. You have given him a second reason to add this site to his *S* list. I have known the propietor of the museum for many years and you would be surprised at who he knows. So since you have admitted to having no clue who the proprietor even is, it is certainly a bold move for you to come here and tell everybody who he doesn't know and who he doesn't care about.

comicus

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
[quote name=\'MasterKey\' post=\'175335\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 10:48 PM\']
To answer your question, That very same email address you used to send the propietor an apology could have also been used by you to ask him if he knew the two parties you mentioned before you decided to make false assumptions that he not only doesn't know them, but also doesn't care about them. You have given him a second reason to add this site to his *S* list. I have known the propietor of the museum for many years and you would be surprised at who he knows. So since you have admitted to having no clue who the proprietor even is, it is certainly a bold move for you to come here and tell everybody who he doesn't know and who he doesn't care about.
[/quote]
As an outsider to this increasingly uncomfortable situation who has nonetheless followed the entire thread and has no personal or emotional stake with any of the parties involved... it seems to me that the only reason the identities of Jamie Locklin and the Score Production cassettes individual (who I have absolutely no clue to the identify of) were invoked was to provide examples of individuals who perhaps have not made the best decisions, from a legal standpoint, in distributing similar copyrighted material.  Any relationship between the proprietor of this online museum and the aforementioned seems rather inconsequential, a perceived slight at best.

With the utmost respect to MasterKey, it seems that chris319 has done nothing but defend the museum proprietor, and though I could not possibly speak for everyone, I would imagine that the vast, vast majority of the users of this board are phenomenally grateful to him, whomever he may be, for his effort and contribution.  The sole source of the negativity and initial distrust in this thread is the same individual responsible for the overwhelming majority of the negativity on this forum as a whole, and he knows who he is.

Please, sir, do not take the behavior of one ill-tempered poster as a representation of us as a whole.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:21:19 PM by CountdownRound »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »
MasterKey -

Two problems with your suggestion: 1) I have yet to receive a response to my apology from said web site proprietor. If I had also asked him if he knew this other person, I would likely still be waiting for a response; 2) Related to the above, as one of the founders and proprietors of this board I had a responsibility to address the brewing conflict between people who were casting aspersions on his web site and the people who took offense at it. In my five years of running this board I have found that these things have to be dealt with in a timely fashion. I hope you also noticed that I was consistent in defending your friend and his web site.

it is certainly a bold move for you to come here and tell everybody who he doesn't know and who he doesn't care about
I frankly don't understand where all this hostility is coming from. All I did was state, erroneously, that two people were unacquainted with each other. I don't see how that qualifies as a heinous act. I did not malign them, besmirch them or otherwise sully their reputations. I then admitted to the error of my ways. Let's move on.

you would be surprised at who he knows
You would be quite surprised at who I know and what I know about them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:37:29 AM by chris319 »

MasterKey

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2008, 11:52:01 PM »
As an outsider to this increasingly uncomfortable situation who has nonetheless followed the entire thread and has no personal or emotional stake with any of the parties involved... it seems to me that the only reason the identities of Jamie Locklin and the Score Production cassettes individual (who I have absolutely no clue to the identify of) were invoked was to provide examples of individuals who perhaps have not made the best decisions, from a legal standpoint, in distributing similar copyrighted material.  

To quote something that the Executive Producer posted in this thread. You're not the FBI, you're not ASCAP, you're not BMI, and you're not the copyright holder of any of the material on his site, so to put it bluntly, what's it to you? He's assuming any and all legal risk, not you. If anyone feels aggreived by his posting this material on the web, they're going to knock on his door, not yours

After reading his take on the situation, I would hope that he feels the same way regarding any individual who has posted theme music in the past. It would be hypocritical for him not to. In this instance, there is now a new place that offers something for all to enjoy. I am one who believes that you can sometimes ask to many questions. When you receive a Christmas gift you don't typically ask twenty questions of the person who gave it to you? Chances are that when receiving a gift, you smile, you say thank you and you consider yourself lucky to know someone who cares enough to give you a present in the first place. It would only be polite to behave the same way on the internet.

I know that most of you do appreciate the new offerings to come your way. Thank you for that. As a friend to the museum I know that any positive feedback is more than welcome.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:06:40 AM by chris319 »

comicus

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »
[quote name=\'MasterKey\' post=\'175345\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 11:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175338\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 08:20 PM\']
As an outsider to this increasingly uncomfortable situation who has nonetheless followed the entire thread and has no personal or emotional stake with any of the parties involved... it seems to me that the only reason the identities of Jamie Locklin and the Score Production cassettes individual (who I have absolutely no clue to the identify of) were invoked was to provide examples of individuals who perhaps have not made the best decisions, from a legal standpoint, in distributing similar copyrighted material.  
[/quote]

To quote something that the Executive Producer posted in this thread. You're not the FBI, you're not ASCAP, you're not BMI, and you're not the copyright holder of any of the material on his site, so to put it bluntly, what's it to you? He's assuming any and all legal risk, not you. If anyone feels aggreived by his posting this material on the web, they're going to knock on his door, not yours
[/quote]
I agree wholeheartedly, and I join in the chiding of those who earlier chose to do just that.  This is why I used the "perhaps" adverb.  :)  On a personal level, I have no problem at all with anything done by Mr. Locklin, John Chartier, Casey Buck or any other individual who has posted themes on the Internet, in respect to those action.  Neither myself nor anyone else has any business playing "net cop" where this is concerned.  Perhaps I should have asserted that in my prior post.  All I did was try to come up with a logical explanation for why those individuals names were brought up in the conversation.  (In doing so, I presumed to speak for chris319, something I should not have done; I have sent an apology.)

Make no mistake, I'm on the side of those who provide great music to the masses, by whatever means they choose to utilize.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2008, 12:28:11 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175338\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 11:20 PM\']
The sole source of the negativity and initial distrust in this thread is the same individual responsible for the overwhelming majority of the negativity on this forum as a whole, and he knows who he is.[/quote]
I promised myself I was going to stay out of this thread after apologizing, but this is simply a false statement, not to mention a terribly unnecessary one.  I've already copped to the fact that MY comments were by far the harshest in the thread, and I doubt very seriously that I'm the one CountdownRound thinks he's talking about.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

comicus

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2008, 12:44:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'175352\' date=\'Jan 18 2008, 12:28 AM\']
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175338\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 11:20 PM\']
The sole source of the negativity and initial distrust in this thread is the same individual responsible for the overwhelming majority of the negativity on this forum as a whole, and he knows who he is.[/quote]
I promised myself I was going to stay out of this thread after apologizing, but this is simply a false statement, not to mention a terribly unnecessary one.  I've already copped to the fact that MY comments were by far the harshest in the thread, and I doubt very seriously that I'm the one CountdownRound thinks he's talking about.
[/quote]
No, you certainly weren't, Mr. Ottinger.  Just the same, I withdraw and apologize for the comment.  My differences with the individual in question aside, it was an unnecessary addendum to my broader point.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2008, 01:02:23 AM »
After reading his take on the situation, I would hope that he feels the same way regarding any individual who has posted theme music in the past.
MasterKey -

I have protected many people's identities and reputations, both inside and outside the industry, over the issue of game show music -- more than you can ever hope to know. It would shock you to know whose reputations I have protected. I've been in the industry a few years and Hollywood is a very small town. As to how I feel about posting music on the web and whether I'm hypocritical about it, I have never, EVER, spoken out publicly or privately against anyone posting show music on the web. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misrepresenting the facts. I DO find it questionable when someone tries to sell something for profit that they don't own, such as recordings of copyrighted works and have opined about it on line.

Let's review here. I posted a link to the TV Music Museum (hereinafter referred to as the Museum). Immediately some of our members questioned the authenticity of this web site. I defended the site against this criticism by saying it "ain't no fanb0i operation". Then, another member who is acquainted with the Museum proprietor received an email from him taking umbrage with the criticism and that email was posted here. I then posted the message you object to which called one of the detractors to task for a) casting suspicion on the authenticity of the Museum, and b) cultivating ill will from said Museum proprietor. The whole purpose of that post was to quell the suspicion of the Museum's detractors, which it is my responsibility as an administrator/Executive Producer to do, and to offer support to the Museum's proprietor, viz.:

I didn't say it at the time, but I have a hard time understanding why all of this suspicion about this site and its operator was warranted. Now we've demotivated this guy from pursuing his project and this board is collectively on his s***list.
Now I'm catching Hell for coming to the guy's defense.

What you need to understand, MasterKey, is that I am a great fan of this music and the people who make it, and I AM VERY MUCH IN SUPPORT OF THIS MUSEUM. My words in defense of the Museum are proof. I have never objected to the dissemination of music on the web. On this board we have always allowed people to post links to web sites which contain game show music files -- we merely require that they link to a site containing the files and not directly to the files themselves. With regard to copyright issues and legalities, that is the concern of the copyright holders and web proprietors. I don't have a horse in that race. I'm not the FBI, ASCAP or BMI.

=========

THIS JUST IN!

I have just received a most gracious reply from the Museum proprietor. His reply was brief as he was pressed for time when he wrote it, but he says he prefers to remain anonymous for the time being. I will definitely follow up with him.

=========

Can we bury the hatchet now?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 09:33:56 PM by chris319 »

MasterKey

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:30 AM »
Consider the Hatchet buried. I understand your point and I also understand that you support the music museum. I just wanted to be fair in clearing up any issues. I am also not a fan of selling copywritten works for profit. Being familiar with the party who sold a few cassettes on ebay, I can tell you that he was thrust into a sudden financial bind which caused a temporary lack of good judgement. I am not saying that it was the smartest thing to do. However if you were familiar with his situation at the time, you would probably understand a little better. So I hope you can also understand my coming to the defense of my other friend at the museum as well. He was upset at what he read here. After putting a lot of work into his site he was just hoping for a little more appreciation than what he got. I'm sure you can understand. I hope there are no hard feelings. Thank you for your time.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2008, 02:14:42 AM »
There was never EVER any intent to imply that his efforts have not been appreciated...in fact, I myself said quite the opposite earlier in the thread, which probably got lost in all of the shiatstorm that followed. I enjoyed the video he posted a great deal.

(As for the party in question, sadly, that wouldn't be his only instance where he showed a lack of good judgement. But that's neither here nor there.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe