Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DVD Games  (Read 1909 times)

happyattacks

DVD Games
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the GLUT of DVD versions "games" there are out there?  I was browsing amazon and saw no less than 10 version of GS versions as DVD Games...

PYL
Password
LMAD
PIR
Concentration
FF
1 Vs 100
Millionaire
Deal No Deal

and others...

Has anyone tried any of these or have any thoughts?    Most all of them all have crappy reviews... I own 1 Vs 100 (got as gift) an it's okay at best.  Was considering getting these, but don't want to waste the Cash if they suck as bas as the reviews are...

Anyone play any of these or sink the cash?

Thanks!

Matt

urbanpreppie05

DVD Games
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »
I own DOND, TPIR, 1vs100, and LMAD. TPIR head and shoulders is the best one. LMAD is ok, but boring. DOND is fun, but only with a group. 1vs100 is a little too easy, imho.

I think many people writing these reviews are expecting a bit too much-if you take them for what they are you'll be satisfied.
insert signature here

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
DVD Games
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
I don't know about expecting too much...I just think you should get something beyond "clunky 'party' representation of the show." TPIR is indeed passable. Having color pictures, brand names and actual descriptions takes it beyond any iteration previous. The lack of prices in games like Shell Game and Safe Crackers is the only downer.

PYL has been done better by the fan community - expecting it to even compare with those versions on a DVD with no memory is a little lofty to begin with. It's faster to just not buy it and say it sucks. Same goes for Feud. And Password? What's wrong with physical cards?

-Jason
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:16:12 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

DVD Games
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
[quote name=\'happyattacks\' post=\'176085\' date=\'Jan 24 2008, 08:39 AM\']
I was browsing amazon and saw no less than 10 version of GS versions as DVD Games...
PYL
Password
LMAD
PIR
Concentration
FF
1 Vs 100
Millionaire
Deal No Deal[/quote]
For the sake of accuracy, I think if you go back you'll see that the Concentration game is a standard computer game and not a DVD version.

DVD games are being released for exactly the same reason board games were released in the 60s and 70s.  People recognize the name on the box.  Even in the modern Internet age, the pool of game buyers just isn't big enough to be significantly influenced by word-of-mouth good OR bad.  So sales are based more on marketing than on the quality or verisimilitude of the game inside.

/The Password is 'verisimilitude'
//Colbert: "truthiness"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DVD Games
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'176093\' date=\'Jan 24 2008, 07:15 AM\']
I don't know about expecting too much...I just think you should get something beyond "clunky 'party' representation of the show."[/quote]
Then, bottom line, you shouldn't be buying a version of a game made in a medium that was never designed for gaming.

(That's the royal "you." I dunno if you personally have ever bought any or not.)

Sadly, this hasn't been properly beaten into the heads of the target audience or not. Mainly because there's a real possibility said heads would cave in from the void therein.

This, to me, is akin to bitching that my Crock-Pot sucks because it doesn't keep my beer cold.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

DVD Games
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:12:42 AM »
I got a 3-DVD set of games(Millionaire, DoND & FF) as a gift this past Christmas.  I only managed to fully experience the DoND DVD game because it has the option of having you play as a single player or a 2-player game.  The other 2 needs more than 1 player so I'm saving those for family game night at my brother's house sometime this year.  As for DoND, it works fine for me though the navigation may need some work.  I actually "beat" the solo game while taking a break from watching American Gladiators a couple weeks ago.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DVD Games
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 01:54:38 PM »
The prosecution rests, Your Honor. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

DVD Games
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
I was pretty bummed when I bought Millionaire and there was no single player mode. It's still a pretty good game, nonetheless.

1v100 is, as said already, pretty easy. For some reason, the mob always dies out by the $7,000 level. The crowd reactions are pretty artificial, almost to a humorous extent. I think 1v100 is better when you play with a home mob, though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:25:28 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.