Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid questions  (Read 3762 times)

Kevin Prather

Pyramid questions
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:19:18 AM »
1) If the word is "Bow and Arrow", do you accept the response "Arrow and bow"?

2) Do you accept the following exchange?

"Arrow"
"More..."
"...and bow."

Steve McClellan

Pyramid questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
Personally, I'd accept both, and I'd *think* that the '80s judge probably would have done the same.

Robert Hutchinson

Pyramid questions
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:39:38 AM »
How often did they have "____ and ____" phrases in the main game? I can't think of any examples at the moment.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid questions
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'175842\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 04:39 AM\']
How often did they have "____ and ____" phrases in the main game? I can't think of any examples at the moment.[/quote]
Plus, how often is a person likely to turn around a well-known conjunction like that?

Still, in the main game, yes, you take it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

Pyramid questions
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:31:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'175842\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 03:39 AM\']
How often did they have "____ and ____" phrases in the main game? I can't think of any examples at the moment.
[/quote]
The 80's writers would rarely if ever have an item like that. One of the things that's interesting when you see the 70's game is the longer items in the main game. For example, you might have seen "the Pledge of Allegiance" in the 70's but just "the Pledge" in the 80's.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

Pyramid questions
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'175850\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 06:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'175842\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 04:39 AM\']
How often did they have "____ and ____" phrases in the main game? I can't think of any examples at the moment.[/quote]
Plus, how often is a person likely to turn around a well-known conjunction like that?

Still, in the main game, yes, you take it.
[/quote]
Agreed. We were playing Pyramid in Palace yesterday. "Bow and arrow" came up. My partners clues led me to "arrow," then realizing I needed the rest, with about three seconds left, I typed "and bow," thinking that would get me the credit. The host did not grant us the point because "when the answer is in quotation marks, it has to be as written."

It didn't matter in the end, but it's still nice to know for the future.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:38:02 PM by whoserman »

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid questions
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'175868\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 12:37 PM\']
We were playing Pyramid in Palace yesterday. "Bow and arrow" came up. My partners clues led me to "arrow," then realizing I needed the rest, with about three seconds left, I typed "and bow," thinking that would get me the credit. The host did not grant us the point because "when the answer is in quotation marks, it has to be as written."[/quote]
Yeah, I think that's a pretty picky ruling.  In the spoken game, they'd have given you credit and had a nice laugh about it in the process.  Still, if those are Palace rules, and they're consistant about it, then you're really not in a position to complain.

Kevin Prather

Pyramid questions
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'175871\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 09:44 AM\']
Yeah, I think that's a pretty picky ruling.  In the spoken game, they'd have given you credit and had a nice laugh about it in the process.  Still, if those are Palace rules, and they're consistant about it, then you're really not in a position to complain.
[/quote]
Agreed. The host's justification was that he believed that's how it was on the show. And I don't know if the other hosts in Palace observe the same rule.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid questions
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
Was the category "Things that make you quiver"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid questions
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'175874\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 09:48 AM\']
Agreed. The host's justification was that he believed that's how it was on the show.[/quote]
And this, right here, is why you don't see me on Palace anymore.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Pyramid questions
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'175871\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 12:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'175868\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 12:37 PM\']
We were playing Pyramid in Palace yesterday. "Bow and arrow" came up. My partners clues led me to "arrow," then realizing I needed the rest, with about three seconds left, I typed "and bow," thinking that would get me the credit. The host did not grant us the point because "when the answer is in quotation marks, it has to be as written."[/quote]
[/quote]Well, let me ask this much.  Let's say the word is "Board Game". If they say "game", and then several seconds after, they say "board", they'd sound the bell?

Interesting, I didn't remember it being that way.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jay Temple

Pyramid questions
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'175952\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 10:23 PM\']Well, let me ask this much.  Let's say the word is "Board Game". If they say "game", and then several seconds after, they say "board", they'd sound the bell?

Interesting, I didn't remember it being that way.
[/quote]
In the 80's, yes. In the 70's, I'm not sure. (FWIW, on Donnymid, no.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Robert Hutchinson

Pyramid questions
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 07:40:24 AM »
I never could figure out what the rule of thumb was for using quotation marks on a list item in the first place. They showed up on single words regularly (such as A "CULTURE" in the Pyramid mind-reading clip).
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid questions
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 08:08:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'175952\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 11:23 PM\']
Well, let me ask this much.  Let's say the word is "Board Game". If they say "game", and then several seconds after, they say "board", they'd sound the bell?[/quote]
My first instinct is that there's no difference between 'bow and arrow' and 'arrow and bow', however there is a difference between 'game board' and 'board game' so your contrarian analogy isn't as precise as perhaps you were hoping and therefore not really relevant to this particular example.

The interesting thing about the Pyramid judge is that he judged.  There were guidelines, as there should be, but ultimately the judge decided right there on the spot whether or not to accept an answer.  To my knowledge, only one member of this forum has ever actually been a judge on a Pyramid TV show, and he hasn't contributed to this thread.  We could sit around all day making up 'would they accept this?' scenarios, but each one would be a different case, and ultimately we're all just guessing what might have happened.

TenPoundHammer

Pyramid questions
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'175852\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 09:31 AM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'175842\' date=\'Jan 22 2008, 03:39 AM\']
[/quote]
The 80's writers would rarely if ever have an item like that. One of the things that's interesting when you see the 70's game is the longer items in the main game. For example, you might have seen "the Pledge of Allegiance" in the 70's but just "the Pledge" in the 80's.
[/quote]

I did see "keeps the doctor away" as a term on an 80s ep of $100K; the giver was shocked that such a long word came up. That may be the longest thing that anyone's ever had to describe in any version of the Pyramid.