Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Absurdly difficult questions on game shows  (Read 4195 times)

TenPoundHammer

Absurdly difficult questions on game shows
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
Here's a thought I had: How many cases have you seen on a game show where one question/clue/puzzle/whatever has just seemed to be so difficult, that you can't imagine anyone ever getting it right?

Here are a few that I can think of:

*100KP: "Parts of an Air Conditioner" as the first box in the WC (pretty sure they weren't going for the $100K); I can't think of any legal clues for that one.

*Donnymid: "What Regis' Coffee Cup Might Say" and "What Tom Cruise's Dentist Might Say" in the WC. Actually, a lot of the WC boxes on his version were nigh impossible, but these two really stuck out.

*Flannel Feud: "Name a specific day of the year when you might order pizza". Answers on the board included, if I'm not mistaken: Easter, Christmas, Good Friday (!)...

*WinTuition: 5th grade level question; contestants had to match up the wives of Henry VIII to their causes of death. Surprisingly, the contestants nailed all of them.

*Wheel of Fortune: Almost any bonus puzzle with any of the following criteria:
1. Too many obscure letters... (SQUEAKING BY)
2. ...and/or too many vowels (DUBUQUE IOWA, even though I did get that on just the E)
3. Oddball phrasing (A SKIMPY BIKINI)
4. Fewer than seven letters (WHARF; you try nailing that with just _ _ A R _)

Admittedly there're about a million more WoF puzzles I could gripe about, although most of them are just things that I've never heard of (OXFORD SHIRT from a couple weeks ago comes to mind).

Any others that you've seen?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »
When a producer is coming close to going over his prize budget, you'll find that the questions get harder. He doesn't want you to know the answer.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »
The Donnymid ones at least allow you to be more descriptive.  "The guy that sits next to Kelly Ripa drinks his java outta me." or "Let's have a look at your top gum, top gun.".....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:00:07 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'176009\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 05:53 PM\']When a producer is coming close to going over his prize budget, you'll find that the questions get harder. He doesn't want you to know the answer.[/quote]
I'm curious. Has there ever been an occurrence where something was set up for a loss but the contestant got it right anyway?

/Hardest WOF bonus puzzle I've seen IMO: "QUIZ SHOW"
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 07:07:27 PM »
For "Parts of an Air Conditioner", is it possible that they had a good enough tournament pool picked out?

It seems that I remember seeing several Bullard CS episodes, where the next to last card (9 times out of 10) went against the odds, i.e. King as next-to-last card, and an Ace as the final one.

I'm guessing the cards might appear "random" to Pat and the contestant, but someone backstage knows the order of the cards. I mean, it's cool as long as they don't reveal anything to the contestant, right?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'176012\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 07:04 PM\']
I'm curious. Has there ever been an occurrence where something was set up for a loss but the contestant got it right anyway?
[/quote]
Probably WALK from 1994, with the infamous Raymond.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:10:28 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'176012\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 07:04 PM\']I'm curious. Has there ever been an occurrence where something was set up for a loss but the contestant got it right anyway?[/quote]
According to lore, producers were trying to get rid of Joyce Brothers on The $64,000 Question by coming up with boxing stuff she couldn't answer, but she answered them anyway.  (The D.A. investigating the scandals points out in his book that one of the experts the show was using as a consultant was a friend of Brothers' family, suggesting that the producers themselves might have been the ones being duped!)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »
one of the experts the show was using as a consultant was a friend of Brothers' family
Which might be why she selected boxing as her category ;-)

Allstar87

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »
[/quote]

I've got a 1992 episode of Wheel of Fortune like that.

The bonus round category was "place", three letters long. RSTLN & E were not in the puzzle. The champ's first two consonants were typical bonus round guesses (C & D, I believe), but then she finished with Z and O.

Vanna turned all the letters around to reveal "Zoo", she got it right, and finished a 3-day run as champion with a little over $100K.

I believe someone else mentioned "Bug" was used as a bonus round puzzle in 1993, but the contestant was unable to win it...or even get any letters up.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:28:25 PM by Allstar87 »

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'176009\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 05:53 PM\']When a producer is coming close to going over his prize budget, you'll find that the questions get harder. He doesn't want you to know the answer.[/quote]
I'm curious. Has there ever been an occurrence where something was set up for a loss but the contestant got it right anyway?[/quote]

"Things That Are Enshrined" perhaps? Or maybe a Wheel ep from 1995ish where someone solved JADE with _ _ D E showing? (How many four-letter things end in DE anyway? A lot.)

/Hardest WOF bonus puzzle I've seen IMO: "QUIZ SHOW"
[/quote]

How about JURY BOX?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'176004\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 06:28 PM\']
*100KP: "Parts of an Air Conditioner" as the first box in the WC (pretty sure they weren't going for the $100K); I can't think of any legal clues for that one.[/quote]The vents, the temperature knob, the Freon holder
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:11:06 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'176020\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 08:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'176004\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 06:28 PM\']
*100KP: "Parts of an Air Conditioner" as the first box in the WC (pretty sure they weren't going for the $100K); I can't think of any legal clues for that one.[/quote]The vents, the temperature knob, the Freon holder
[/quote]

Those are pretty good ones. "Coolness knob" maybe? (I live in Michigan, the land of lake effect snow, so I can't say that I've even seen an air conditioner.)

(For the record, the celeb on the ep in question said "the cold air" and obviously got buzzed.)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'176004\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 06:28 PM\']*Donnymid: "What Regis' Coffee Cup Might Say" and "What Tom Cruise's Dentist Might Say" in the WC. Actually, a lot of the WC boxes on his version were nigh impossible, but these two really stuck out.[/quote]
Those stand out for me as more dumb and irritating than especially hard. "Philbin drinks java out of me" is a clue with only one proper guess for the category--the trick is having a receiver who A) can believe that Donnymid would use that as a category, and B) knows how to interpret clues generally. (On Donnymid, you were pretty likely to hear "things in Regis' coffee cup" and "why Regis has a coffee cup" over and over.)

I still put "Rooms in the White House" (when they won't accept "things" or "places" in the White House) and "Colors of the Olympic Rings" (when they probably expected the giver to say things like "Marion Jones' green, red, and yellow") as the two hardest.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'176004\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 03:28 PM\']*WinTuition: 5th grade level question; contestants had to match up the wives of Henry VIII to their causes of death. Surprisingly, the contestants nailed all of them.[/quote] Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived, he said, without checking. And each contestant only had to provide one correct answer, not all of them.

Admittedly there're about a million more WoF puzzles I could gripe about, omes to mind).
This is what I don't get. Why does everyone assume that just because Wheel of Fortune has a massive budget with a potential $100,000 bonus award every night that all of the bonus puzzles have to be lay-ups, and if there happens to be a week without a bonus solve that it's a SUPER WIPEOUT ZONK EL SKUNK-O. It's a bonus for a potentially huge prize. It ought to be difficult.

Any puzzle can be solved if you plug in the right letters, apply the rules of language, and use the used letter board properly. For what it's worth, I refute most of your examples of "obscure letters" or "awkward phrasing." I think "awkward phrasing is when the puzzle GAME SHOW HOST PAT SAJAK is put in the category of "Proper Name." "A SKIMPY BIKINI" is most certainly a thing, and not an awkward phrase in the least.

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'176009\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 03:53 PM\']When a producer is coming close to going over his prize budget, you'll find that the questions get harder. He doesn't want you to know the answer.[/quote]That's interesting. I remember saying something about a string of harder than perceived normal FJ clues to my Dad, and he said that cycles of difficulty were tantamount to rigging like in the 1950s. It was all I could do to not burst out laughing.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'176010\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 03:58 PM\']The Donnymid ones at least allow you to be more descriptive.  "The guy that sits next to Kelly Ripa drinks his java outta me." or "Let's have a look at your top gum, top gun.".....[/quote]I like the consonance, but I always thought that the proper response to the latter was "Get down off of Oprah's couch, you nut, I have to check your teeth."

But hey, dif'rent strokes, right? :)

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'176014\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 04:07 PM\']I'm guessing the cards might appear "random" to Pat and the contestant, but someone backstage knows the order of the cards. I mean, it's cool as long as they don't reveal anything to the contestant, right?[/quote]But then the contestant gets to cut the cards, so while the order of those 52 cards remains the same (in terms of a continuum), the chance of rigging without being nailed is lower. And for that matter, the cards are shuffled and sealed, so there's not really a chance for disturbance.

On another note, how do you compute a budget for CS? You can't really run 100 playtests and use the median value, because players who are doing it for $10 an hour aren't going to "pretend that you're on TV, with a car payment or a wedding to pay off."
Travis L. Eberle

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 10:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'176026\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 09:37 PM\']Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived, he said, without checking. And each contestant only had to provide one correct answer, not all of them.[/quote]

Maybe it's just me; I didn't learn anything about royalty in school. Could it be because I skipped three whole grades? (I only had 1/2 year each of 1st and 2nd, then jumped from 6th to 9th.)

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'176026\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 09:37 PM\']This is what I don't get. Why does everyone assume that just because Wheel of Fortune has a massive budget with a potential $100,000 bonus award every night that all of the bonus puzzles have to be lay-ups, and if there happens to be a week without a bonus solve that it's a SUPER WIPEOUT ZONK EL SKUNK-O.[/quote]

I didn't say that they all had to be lay-ups. Nor do I think that it's a SPLUT! when they go 0 for 5. (In October '07, they had two 0 for 5 weeks in a row; of 23 puzzles that month, only 5 were won.) They've had super-hard bonus puzzles since at least the beginning of the RSTLNE era (QUIZ SHOW was from season 6), and I'm fine with that. I was merely stating that, in my opinion, those puzzles were among the most difficult they've ever had, and probably weren't meant to be won.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'176026\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 09:37 PM\']
Any puzzle can be solved if you plug in the right letters, apply the rules of language, and use the used letter board properly.[/quote]

...such as the one contestant who solved BABY with no letters showing.

I just hope they don't decide to use ZZYZX as a bonus puzzle someday. (Has anyone ever picked an X? Or a Q for that matter?)